New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Looking to get into the market

Easto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking to get into the market

I got a DSLR years ago for some family and vacation photos. It's a Canon XS which is very basic and dated. I use the 50mm f1.8 and Tamron 17-55 f2.4 lenses primarily.

I am looking to upgrade to something better, but want a smaller camera so mirrorless has me interested.

I am looking at the Olympus EM10.

Would this be a good option for someone looking to keep the price tag low, but also give me a nice upgrade to what I currently have?

Jun 24, 2017 at 02:43 PM
Christop82

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking to get into the market

If your looking at the 10 mark II then yes. It's price point is well below its ability. Get Olympus has refurbished for $299.

Jun 24, 2017 at 08:57 PM
Easto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking to get into the market

I am in Canada and they don't have any of the refurbished ones on the Canada site and I can't get a shipping quote off the American site.

Is there any way for me to work around this?

Jun 25, 2017 at 02:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking to get into the market

Always risks buying used, but you might keep an eye on Craigslist. Should be camera stores that sell used, as well.

I have heard the 16 mp sensor is better than the 12mp, and have been looking at the EM-5. Not sure how it compares to the EM-10 II, though

Jun 25, 2017 at 04:42 PM
Christop82

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking to get into the market

E-m5 is a great camera. And it's weather sealed. Main drawbacks compared to the 10II -
No electronic shutter (that's a big one as the electronic shutter gets you 1/16000)
No Wi-Fi (a gimmick to some but works well and you can control the camera through your smartphone)
Screen is much improved both in resolution and touch response on the 10II
IBIS is also improved on the 10II.
If weather sealing is not important I would look for a 10II or a Lumix GX7. Drawbacks of the gx7 are its poor viewfinder (which is makes up for with its great touch screen) and only having 3 axis IBIS compared to the Olympus 5 axis.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:31 PM
Christop82

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking to get into the market

The 10II is going for $499 USD new with kit lens. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes lower since the 10III will be rolling out soon. BH has already began discontinuing some variations of the 10II.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:39 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password