Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

WRBSTi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

I know this is my preference, but i'm asking if switching to the X-T2 from the Nikon D810 and D800 system is worth it? I'm a wedding photographer so i'd love some opinions from fellow wedding togs who shoot the X-T2 system,

I can liquidate ALL of my current Nikon gear and get into this system for me and my 2nd and still have left over money from my sale of all of my Nikon stuff.

I got to play around with one of these tonight and i fell in love instantly with it. It's lighter than ALL of my Nikon stuff, and the differences between my current set up is night and day.

I know i can do D750 but i don't want to do that.

How does the X-T2 perform wedding wise?
Is the flash system shit for receptions? I've heard that it's obviously not as good as Nikon but.. how is it with the X500 flash or whatever it's called?

Jun 24, 2017 at 03:05 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

Look here: http://fujifilm-x.com/photographers/kevin-mullins/

Jun 24, 2017 at 03:38 AM
George Orwell
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

WRBSTi wrote:
I know this is my preference, but i'm asking if switching to the X-T2 from the Nikon D810 and D800 system is worth it? I'm a wedding photographer so i'd love some opinions from fellow wedding togs who shoot the X-T2 system,

I can liquidate ALL of my current Nikon gear and get into this system for me and my 2nd and still have left over money from my sale of all of my Nikon stuff.

I got to play around with one of these tonight and i fell in love instantly with it. It's lighter than ALL of my Nikon stuff,
...Show more

What flash system?

Seriously now, read the wedding forum here at FM. It's filled with gear talk and from that you'll see that not many wedding photogs have gone with Fuji, mostly due to the extremely primitive flash system as well as not wanting to give up DOF control that a crop sensor lacks.

Jun 24, 2017 at 05:39 AM
starlights
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

George Orwell wrote:
What flash system?

Seriously now, read the wedding forum here at FM. It's filled with gear talk and from that you'll see that not many wedding photogs have gone with Fuji, mostly due to the extremely primitive flash system as well as not wanting to give up DOF control that a crop sensor lacks.

Flash system is not at par with Canon or Nikon in the TTL although third party systems such as Nissin etc can cover that to a large extent. If you use strobes or Manual than you are golden anyway.

DOF comment I do not agree with - you will get as shallow DOF as you need with the fabulous 56 1.2 or 90 f2 or even the 35 1.4 - I am sure most do not look for super thin DOF with UWA lenses. Overall, Fuji system is fantastic to use if you can over come the TTL limitations

Jun 24, 2017 at 08:14 AM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

Seems like a lot of hot air. Can't base what pros do based on this one forum.
Also there are no shortage or remote manual flash options.
Not every wedding photographer uses TTL.
George Orwell wrote:
What flash system?

Jun 24, 2017 at 08:36 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

Well we are getting some nice flash systems now. We'll soon have Godox, but there is Nissin and Cactus. So far my Cactus has been working great with the latest firmware for TTL & HSS. So if you want good wireless flash system, stay away from Fuji flashes.

Jun 24, 2017 at 09:14 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

Elisha82 wrote:
Seems like a lot of hot air. Can't base what pros do based on this one forum.
Also there are no shortage or remote manual flash options.
Not every wedding photographer uses TTL.

It sounds like you don't like to accept the fact of it but a poor flash system like we have with Fuji is a HUGE liability for weddings - there is no way to stick one's head in the sand and pretend otherwise.

And it's not just TTL, but good or excellent flash in a robust system. Time will tell if Fuji gets it right the first time around, from past experience it takes them a few swings at bat first - but here's hoping.

Sure one can do a wedding with any sort of gear, right on up to a wet plate 8x10. But the question is if one wants to operate with a disadvantage in a crowded, competitive space.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:23 AM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

Don't blame Fujifilm for your level of skill.

Pavel wrote:
It sounds like you don't like to accept the fact of it but a poor flash system like we have with Fuji is a HUGE liability for weddings - there is no way to stick one's head in the sand and pretend otherwise.

And it's not just TTL, but good or excellent flash in a robust system. Time will tell if Fuji gets it right the first time around, from past experience it takes them a few swings at bat first - but here's hoping.

Sure one can do a wedding with any sort of gear, right on up to a wet
...Show more

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:33 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

My leve of skill paid 100 percent of my bills for many years. One of the first thing a Pro learns, versus a fanboy apologist is to stop worshiping a brand and buy the best tools. So for flash, Fuji is as bright an idea as wearing a hair-shirt. Or perhaps if you like that you should consider a flip phone for weddings? I somehow feel certain you've got the s kills.

What part of the OP's question about how effective the flash is don't you want to get?

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:51 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

WRBSTi wrote:

I got to play around with one of these tonight and i fell in love instantly with it. It's lighter than ALL of my Nikon stuff,
...Show more

To answer your question as someone who loves Fuji, but also has Nikon for ~ 28 years and Olympus as well since 2004 - the Fuji flash does not exactly suck. In some cases it's fine, but it is far behind pretty much every other manufacturer at this time. For some this in not a problem, but I've shot a wedding with the Fuji and quickly used it for only available light.

One example for instance that non Nikon shooters would have no clue about - but would love it if ever once they get it is Nikons' ability to assign a button to "turn flash off". You can shoot with flash but have it instantly disable while pressing a button, like inbetween a burst of three shots where the light doesn't demand flash (just helps and adds catchlights) where the flash has no hope of re-charging for a continuous burst of three. And I could go on.

But in short, it's useable if your willing to put up with 1992 era flash abilities. But it's no Nikon flash by any means. Only you can decide on the trade-offs, or do like some and use more than one system.

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:13 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

Somehow I used to manage to do weddings, and do it well enough to continue to receive bookings, shooting manual pack/head strobe systems and film, so you didn't even get the luxury of chimping to guess the exposure, we used a light meter lol

Modern ETTL on Canikon works well, though Fuji's balanced fill flash on the X100 series works darn good too, but nothing is fool-proof, and one really should at least have the ability to work with a manual system, and the logic behind it.

Even when I was shooting Canon, and then Nikon, I actually often still worked with manual flash. As good as the systems were, my favorite was using a Q-Flash, which I had an assistant carry around. It had the battery power to recycle fast, I could throw a pretty big modifier on it, or I could use it bare-bulb which had some unique looks.

Just a little verbal exchange with the assistant to change the power if needed, though we got pretty good with him just knowing where to position himself for a given output level.

I ironically then moved into shooting weddings with a Leica M9, 100% ambient, and that camera, while a classic, had high ISO worse than anything on the market these days.

One can certainly have a preferred system, and they do have different strengths, but there really is no reason quality work can't be done with Fuji, Olympus, Sony, CaNikon, Panasonic etc.

Maybe a set of Sigma DP Merrill's would prove a little frustrating but really anything else on the market is pretty much a dream compared to what we used to work with

Jun 24, 2017 at 02:00 PM
George Orwell
• •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

Pavel wrote:
My leve of skill paid 100 percent of my bills for many years. One of the first thing a Pro learns, versus a fanboy apologist is to stop worshiping a brand and buy the best tools. So for flash, Fuji is as bright an idea as wearing a hair-shirt. Or perhaps if you like that you should consider a flip phone for weddings? I somehow feel certain you've got the s kills.

What part of the OP's question about how effective the flash is don't you want to get?

Your being both a fan of Fuji cameras and at the same time NOT a fan boy, is admirable.

Jun 24, 2017 at 02:44 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

Pavel wrote:

Sure one can do a wedding with any sort of gear, right on up to a wet
...Show more

You are right regarding Fuji not providing a robust flash system. However, there are new 3rd party solutions arriving that allow the full off-camera use of Nikon and Canon flashes-which are robust. There are other differences between the D810 and XT2 that become user preference. Coming from Nikon I don't think Fuji handles high ISO as well as Nikon. But, that difference wasn't enough to keep me from making the change--especially, given the weight difference.

Jun 24, 2017 at 03:11 PM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

It doesn't when you compare it to the D750. But the D810 is a different story.

James R wrote:
You are right regarding Fuji not providing a robust flash system. However, there are new 3rd party solutions arriving that allow the full off-camera use of Nikon and Canon flashes-which are robust. There are other differences between the D810 and XT2 that become user preference. Coming from Nikon I don't think Fuji handles high ISO as well as Nikon. But, that difference wasn't enough to keep me from making the change--especially, given the weight difference.

Jun 24, 2017 at 03:39 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is it worth switching from Nikon to Fuji?

George Orwell wrote:
Your being both a fan of Fuji cameras and at the same time NOT a fan boy, is admirable.

I don't equate criticism of a brand with dislike of the brand. Kind of quite the contrary. If we grumble, it's said that Fuji in particular listens. On the subject of flash, being behind the other brands is a statement of fact, but not really an indictment as some here may take it. Perhaps they are from California, or Canada and need safe camera spaces? I don't know.

I mean, lets get real, Fuji has been around how long with this format. I don't think anyone would want them to put their emphasis on anything but what they have done so far. They got out a comprehensive line of lenses some of which will one day be "legends" and have made remarkable progress in the bodies. Now it's time for other things. Flash, yes - now that is the most sensible next thing and one day perhaps they can add nice to have choices like tilt-shift lenses, focus stacking and bracketing and more macro choices, just to mention a few. Things all available elsewhere for those that find those features as important. On the other hand patience can be a virtue.

I have a hard time relating to the mentality that if you criticism a flaw that you must hate the brand. So I get in trouble on three forums by defenders of the faith who hate that there is no one "righteous" and "perfect" camera maker to bow down at the alter of.

We should criticize, and vigorously. For the sake of being honest and thus trustworthy and especially because just maybe there is substance to the rumor that Fuji listens to it's user base.

Jun 24, 2017 at 04:18 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.