Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Filter systems...how, what and how much (or how less!)?

josh paris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Filter systems...how, what and how much (or how less!)?

I just picked this up today (I was going mental for about 6 weeks choosing a lens for my needs with so many options zoom, prime etc...VR, no VR..etc..). I kinda made this decision based on two factors; 1) recent atrosphoto shoot and my love for landscape/cityscapes in general with wanting to be the sharpest possible..very excited to say the least.

(b)But, now I need to assistance on Filters, specifically Cir. Polarizer and GND'sb)

Looking for the down and dirty way to make this happen spending the least amount on some short of " Slot-filter system".

-this 21mm is the largest I have at 82mm, so can I use 100x100 slot system, with an added 105mm cir. polarizers? (my understanding is the holder for cir. polarizer is also slotted for the front, and you stack behind it, correct?

also considering GND: .06 and .09 hard..possibly a soft .06 or reverse...

- are all the 'holders' created equal....as there are some holders very economical and other like Lee are exact opposite....any experience with the value holders?

Any and all recommendations or advise appreciated. thanks

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:20 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Filter systems...how, what and how much (or how less!)?

Lee has a nice slot system at 100mm. A bit on the pricey side. I like the fact that it is ND compatible, very handy esp when you get to 10 stops (the Big Stopper). Compose, slide filter on, shoot. If you need to correct comp slide up and you are in business. Screw-in 10 stops are a PITA.

Jun 24, 2017 at 01:24 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Filter systems...how, what and how much (or how less!)?

NiSi has 100mm holder that comes with a "built-in" CPL. Well thought out and pretty well built too. Oh, their 10 stop ND is considered the least subject to color shift, a real plus.

Peace,

Todd

Jun 24, 2017 at 02:10 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Filter systems...how, what and how much (or how less!)?

for regular ND use I have been using round filters. they seal the light out better overall.

for graduated ND filters (GR by SR) I've been using the Lee holder 100mm for many years.
Galen Rowell 2 and 3 stop soft

I had the Big Stopper but after trying out the Breakthrough Photography ND rounds it was:
1- just easier to use
2- travel better
3- the cleanest for color I have seen

I have 3,6 and 10 stop at 82mm and step rings. I use the 6 stop the most.

i'm not a big stacker either

Jun 24, 2017 at 06:07 AM
josh paris
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Filter systems...how, what and how much (or how less!)?

Ok...ending up going with the following:

-Nisi V5 Pro Holder w/CPL
(I made the decision for the Nisi holder, but mostly for the 'perceived' quality difference over the Haida holder w/ CPL...well see?)

-Haida ND 6-stop
-Haida GND 4-stop

This was a compromise between performance, pricing, and flexibility ...but ultimately I hope not too much of compromise.
I did reach out to Breakthough, as I like the Idea of supporting locally....but their holder/squares not yet ready for action, and pricing was significantly higher overall..

I gotta say there is a ton of info out there on 'Filter systems'.....but its hardly comprehensive or complete with all the numerous companies and products out there...pretty sure a guy could run a Vlog just on Filters.. anyway with a some risk, some deduction and gathered info is what I based my purchase on...the next step will see if it lives or goes on the Buy and Sell..

Jun 30, 2017 at 04:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Filter systems...how, what and how much (or how less!)?

GroovyGeek wrote:
Lee has a nice slot system at 100mm. A bit on the pricey side. I like the fact that it is ND compatible, very handy esp when you get to 10 stops (the Big Stopper). Compose, slide filter on, shoot. If you need to correct comp slide up and you are in business. Screw-in 10 stops are a PITA.

here is where I disagree. after owning a big stopper since it came out I found having to ensure good sealing on the holder and filter tends to nullify the advantage of the slide on and off as I did wear out the seal once in use then I sold it after replacing said seal.. I take a reasonable reading I shoot high and low. yeah, I got over it. these days I just use the lee holder for what I originally got it for, my grads for which it cant be beat.

why wouldn't a lee filter be ND compatible? its anything 2mm-5mm thick and 100mm by whatever compatible.

10 stop BR ND

Jul 02, 2017 at 08:09 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.