Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

D4s or D500

Shane Psaltis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D4s or D500

I know this is a camera question or opinion not a sports post but since I am a sports photographer and know most of you on this thread I wanted your opinions and why? I am on the fence to buy the D4s or the d500 and wanted to know which you think is better and why.

Aside from the D500 costing a lot less and getting more MP, I am torn to the fact of the durability.

Spoke to my bud Palesse and I have his thoughts but want to hear yours.

Thanks
Shane

Jun 23, 2017 at 05:51 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D4s or D500

I would always sway toward the full frame D4s. If you know you'll be cropping your images often using a D4s, than you might consider the D500.

Steve Perry has written and done tons of videos on this subject and has explained this decision better than anyone else I know.

They both have their places and will always depend on your type of shooting and lenses you'll be using.

Jun 23, 2017 at 06:13 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D4s or D500

The correct answer is, "it depends." But that's a cop out.

I had a D4S and switched to a D5. I have a D500 as my second camera, so I have some basis for an opinion. But I need to know more. What do you shoot and at what level of play? How often? What kind of glass do you have?

Even before you answer those questions, I will say this: I loved my D4S and if you NEED full frame and a rock solid daily-use body, it's just superb. But the leap forward in focus speed and accuracy on the D5(00) really has to be tried to be appreciated. I'm now spoiled. I would have a hard time giving that up.

Durability? The D500 is fine. Been using one 3-4 times a week since launch and mine's a tool -- not a coddled shelf piece. No issues. And with the current rebate program pricing you could blow through four D500s for the price of a D5. Durability should not be a worry.

Jun 23, 2017 at 06:19 PM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D4s or D500

Just being doing some research and the D4s seems to be the camera for all situations (sports,portraits, weddings, landscape and Nightscapes) where the D500 excels at only some due to its poor low light handling and smaller sensor size also the 1.5 crop is not great for certain things.

The bonus is you could buy 3 to 1 for the d500 and the focus is superb, it's just when your used to the D pro series when you reach in your bag for a D500 will it handle all your situations?

All my glass is pro glass 400 2.8, 70-200, 200 f2 and so on.

So if I have a D4 would the better choice be to have a D4s or a D500 it's a rough choice.

Jun 24, 2017 at 03:59 AM
henry albert
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D4s or D500

Shane Psaltis wrote:
Just being doing some research and the D4s seems to be the camera for all situations (sports,portraits, weddings, landscape and Nightscapes) where the D500 excels at only some due to its poor low light handling and smaller sensor size also the 1.5 crop is not great for certain things.

The bonus is you could buy 3 to 1 for the d500 and the focus is superb, it's just when your used to the D pro series when you reach in your bag for a D500 will it handle all your situations?

All my glass is pro glass 400 2.8, 70-200, 200
...Show more

Well, I have a D4 and bought a D500. I personally don't think the D4s is worth the extra money, especially now that the D500 is available. I love the D500 and use it often, even in low light situations when the D4 is the better theoretical and more popular choice. I usually shoot raw and denoise in DxO, and usually find that the D4 is only about a half-stop better at pretty high ISOs, like 20k, and the difference doesn't really show up much in the final product (I don[t do art prints)..

As for difference in focusing, I'm not sure I shoot in the kinds of situations that bring out the best in the D500, because I don't see any significant difference in keeper rate. Others who probably work their cameras harder do think it's appreciably better, though.

The D500 has better auto white balance than the D4s and better jpegs right out of the camera.

Jun 24, 2017 at 11:54 PM
ScooterShooter

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D4s or D500

Thank you for bringing up this topic since I have been wondering it myself.

Jun 26, 2017 at 04:21 PM
Spectro
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D4s or D500

I had D4s and D500, now D5 and D500. I would say this if I had to chose just one. If you have to crop heavily with D4s then consider D500 to fill the frame. If you are able to fill the frame with D4s and your current lenses then I would lean towards D4s. If AF is important for fast moving objects D4s is good but D500 is better. These are general statements but I still prefer full frame for low light sports. For more reach with the same lenses I'm happy to reach for the D500 though.

Jul 02, 2017 at 09:47 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D4s or D500

Shane,

I shoot a D4s and a D500 on every shoot. The crop factor is great especially on the 70-200 2.8 as my second body. For daytime the 200-400 on a D500 is hard to beat for field sports. For football I use the D500 and left the TC in the bag. In the end zone with play at the 50, and the 400 2.8 you are at 600 and 2.8 considering the crop factor. I have not had any issue with the d500 in low light at all, in college and Pro facilities. I would say you need both!!

Jul 12, 2017 at 09:19 PM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D4s or D500

I have been considering a D500 as a second body for my 70-200 as the action gets closer . . .you guys are making a good argument to use my CC.

Jul 12, 2017 at 09:44 PM
mongoose777
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D4s or D500

Shane Psaltis wrote:
I know this is a camera question or opinion not a sports post but since I am a sports photographer and know most of you on this thread I wanted your opinions and why? I am on the fence to buy the D4s or the d500 and wanted to know which you think is better and why.

Aside from the D500 costing a lot less and getting more MP, I am torn to the fact of the durability.

Spoke to my bud Palesse and I have his thoughts but want to hear yours.

Thanks
Shane

Why didn't you include me and my thoughts?? I thought I was you bud, you damn yanker!
What did you decide to do? Did you get the D4s as your main body and then the D500 as your backup?

Jul 16, 2017 at 02:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mongoose777
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D4s or D500

PureMichigan wrote:
The correct answer is, "it depends." But that's a cop out.

I had a D4S and switched to a D5. I have a D500 as my second camera, so I have some basis for an opinion. But I need to know more. What do you shoot and at what level of play? How often? What kind of glass do you have?

Even before you answer those questions, I will say this: I loved my D4S and if you NEED full frame and a rock solid daily-use body, it's just superb. But the leap forward in focus speed and accuracy on
...Show more

Technically, the D500 w/battery pack & 18a battery will be around $2400, about a little over 2.5x cheaper than the D5. IMO, this should be the standard in comparing the two as equal terms.
Dont forget to factor the D500 is rated at 200k shutters actuations vs 400k for the D4s & D5, thats another $550+ for a shutter replacement, albeit this can vary greatly either way. Id still prefer the full frame over the crop factor, but either camera will be great. The focusing speed on the D500 will have an advantage, but the D4s is still highly capable of getting that critical shot as needed.

Jul 16, 2017 at 02:49 AM
bu82

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D4s or D500

I would always take a full frame over a crop sensor, especially for sports where low light and shallow DOF are key to getting good looking images.

Jul 19, 2017 at 01:12 PM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D4s or D500

Mongoose??

Is this my little friend??

Yes he Mingoose was very instrumental in my decision we spoke for over a hour before he realized which shane he was speaking too lol, he makes very valid points , I decided to go with the D4s for the versatility but will be getting a D500 very shortly!!

The D4s does rock it has great focusing speed and I really like the full frame to me it's not a one dimensional camera!!

Shane

mongoose777 wrote:
Why didn't you include me and my thoughts?? I thought I was you bud, you damn yanker!
What did you decide to do? Did you get the D4s as your main body and then the D500 as your backup?

Jul 19, 2017 at 08:47 PM
mongoose777
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D4s or D500

Shane Psaltis wrote:
Mongoose??

Is this my little friend??

Yes he Mingoose was very instrumental in my decision we spoke for over a hour before he realized which shane he was speaking too lol, he makes very valid points , I decided to go with the D4s for the versatility but will be getting a D500 very shortly!!

The D4s does rock it has great focusing speed and I really like the full frame to me it's not a one dimensional camera!!

Shane

Yes its Manny from Texas.
Well, you are correct about the Shane deal, I thought it was Shane Roper who I know locally, but
...Show more

Jul 20, 2017 at 02:45 AM
redman
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D4s or D500

I use the D500 for field sports. I will change to the D4s if the lighting is dreadful. It is (for me) 2 stops better than the D500. For HS basketball the D4s is used with the 70-200 exclusively.

Aug 10, 2017 at 10:50 PM
PureMichigan
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D4s or D500

I want to change my answer due to a recent Nikon announcement -- I'd wait to see what the new D850 is like. 46MP supposedly 10fps, $4,000.

Aug 11, 2017 at 12:45 PM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D4s or D500

Field test complete::

I got a D500 from NPS and shot about 30k images this past week and I must say it is one solid camera. I will say that it has the best monitor of all the D series cameras. I have the D4s and it is a superb camera , that being said the D500 has some of the coolest features. Paired with the MB17 grip it is the ultimate action field camera. I also used the D5 and that is some machine gun and the low
Light capability is second to none.

Conclusion::

I will be buying a D500 and grip once the price is right again, I saw it for $1600 with Trip from BH , but that deal is over.

Either camera in the bag will do the job.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:05 PM
brian_f2.8
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D4s or D500

PureMichigan wrote:
I want to change my answer due to a recent Nikon announcement -- I'd wait to see what the new D850 is like. 46MP supposedly 10fps, $4,000.

Not being rude but who would want 46MP at 10fps? I feel like I would go through memory cards way too quick(if shooting raw).

Aug 14, 2017 at 09:45 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D4s or D500

brian_f2.8 wrote:
Not being rude but who would want 46MP at 10fps? I feel like I would go through memory cards way too quick(if shooting raw).

According to TAP, D5 is dead with the D850. Apparently TAP thinks us sports shooters would love 46mp at 10fps.

I guess he should know since he's got that huge portfolio of incredible shots.

Aug 14, 2017 at 09:54 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D4s or D500

Weasel_Loader wrote:
According to TAP, D5 is dead with the D850. Apparently TAP thinks us sports shooters would love 46mp at 10fps.

I guess he should know since he's got that huge portfolio of incredible shots.

Huh? Who is TAP?

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:20 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password