Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

A couple from GTNP

JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A couple from GTNP

Congratulations to JimKied for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 7 votes - View Previous Winners

It's been a while since I have posted anything. I've had to stay close to home to tend to my elderly parents. However, I was recently in the GTNP area to celebrate the wedding of my son. The week was filled with wedding activities, so I only got out a few times to shoot. I had some ideas for images that I wanted to shoot, but the Snake and tributaries were running extremely high and muddy. So most reflection shots were out. In fact the Gros Ventre Road was closed from the main highway, although there were detour routes available. Other areas out due to animal closures. Without many of my primary objectives available, I had to make lemonade. The following two images are from the Blacktail Ponds turnout and were taken on the same morning as the sun was rising. Lower level clouds did not allow the sun to come through until it was a bit higher on the horizon. But I liked the side lighting that it gave off. I appreciate all suggestions and comments.

Jun 23, 2017 at 03:24 PM
xterra07
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A couple from GTNP

2 great ones

Jun 23, 2017 at 05:18 PM
junglialoh
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A couple from GTNP

Simply beautiful! Beautiful color and contrast ...feel no word is needed.

Jun 23, 2017 at 05:49 PM
kwilliam8
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A couple from GTNP

Jim, I think these are stunningly beautiful! Great work on these. Too bad that you are unable to get out more.
Keith W.

Jun 23, 2017 at 05:58 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A couple from GTNP

Beauties in every respect. BIG wall space now needed!

Jun 23, 2017 at 06:23 PM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A couple from GTNP

Always enjoy GTNP photos. In your second one, the flower in the foreground and sharpness of background appear to vie for attention. I would have preferred seeing the flower in focus and background OOF.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:47 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A couple from GTNP

dalite wrote:
Always enjoy GTNP photos. In your second one, the flower in the foreground and sharpness of background appear to vie for attention. I would have preferred seeing the flower in focus and background OOF.

Interesting. I always try to make these sort of photos sharp throughout. To that end, I will focus stack if necessary to make that happen. I guess I never really considered OOF as an alternative. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:07 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A couple from GTNP

You got excellent light, Jim, and did well with it. Fine imaging. Could use a better title.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:44 PM
psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A couple from GTNP

These are well done, Jim.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:47 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A couple from GTNP

Wonderful - I love beautiful lush meadows, and you're showing me some great stuff.

Jun 24, 2017 at 02:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A couple from GTNP

a couple of beauties Jim

Jun 24, 2017 at 09:34 AM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A couple from GTNP

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Wonderful - I love beautiful lush meadows, and you're showing me some great stuff.

During the time we were there, the weather changed fairly dramatically - sometimes each day. The first couple of days we saw highs in the 80s and fairly cloudless skies. I even got sunburned on my head. Then rain - gray skies for part of the day and sunny or partly sunny for part of the day - temps dropped 20 degrees. The day of the wedding saw very wet morning - couldn't even see the mountains even on the inner park road. Then partly cloudy sunny in the afternoon - highs in the low 60s (perfect for the OUTDOOR wedding) and then rain that evening. The next day it hailed. Then snow - about 3 inches of the stuff. I'm working on more from the trip and I might have some more images that I'll want to share.

What I'm leading up to is that it was wet a lot of the trip. And those green meadows were green because of all the wetness and their proximity to the rivers, which were higher than its been in many years due to the massive snowmelt from the winter. I was there in June a few years prior and it was not near as green.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:18 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A couple from GTNP

Two great and really different views of one of my favorite park.

Jun 24, 2017 at 02:26 PM
SouthwestS2K
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A couple from GTNP

Shot with D810?

Jul 02, 2017 at 10:33 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A couple from GTNP

SouthwestS2K wrote:
Shot with D810?

Nope, a D750. Love that camera.

Jul 02, 2017 at 10:56 PM
JimKied
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A couple from GTNP

Thanks for the votes folks. I am humbled, considering All the great stuff you guys put out.

Jul 02, 2017 at 10:59 PM
SouthwestS2K
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A couple from GTNP

JimKied wrote:
Nope, a D750. Love that camera.

More proof that its not always about MP, but glass too. Landscapes are meant to be viewed zoomed out, not at 100%. Awesome work, awesome picture.

Jul 02, 2017 at 11:10 PM
JR Photo
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A couple from GTNP

Jim great captures. I was there over Father day. Amazing how much water is coming off. I think this is the first time I have seen the ponds washed away.

Again thanks for sharing.

J. R.

Jul 02, 2017 at 11:11 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A couple from GTNP

Outstanding images of one of the world's most beautiful places... Mike

Jul 03, 2017 at 02:18 PM
rossmanphoto

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A couple from GTNP