10              12       13       end

Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

suteetat
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

padam19 wrote:
The Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 65mm f2
Fully mechanical, and it could cover a bigger image circle (definitely at close range, maybe less so at infinity). Also, it was designed with the thicker sensor stack in mind in the first place, so it might not smear if it actually covers it. Reasonably priced for its sharpness, and the focal length could become more standard. Somewhat big for an E-mount prime lens, but much more normal in the GFX world.

So I wonder if the mount can be exchanged to a GFX one, it's definitely a custom job...does anybody want to try that?

I guess
...Show more

Unfortunately I think any e mount lens is a no go. Flange distance of e mount lens is 17 mm while GFX flange distance is 26.7 mm so any lens specifically design for E mount should not work regardless of adapter.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:10 PM
padam19

p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

The back element is quite recessed, so it might just be possible, but there are way too many question marks.

Update: I see what you mean, the housing that sticks out after the mount part won't fit inside the GFX mount

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:27 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Here are some shots from High Park in Toronto. Some with the Hassy HC 100 f/2.2 and others with the Hassy HCD 24 f/4.8. Both of these lenses perform wonderfully on the GFX.

Aug 27, 2017 at 08:24 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

And here are a few more with the HC 100 f/2.2

Aug 27, 2017 at 08:26 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Here are some more shots with the Hassy HC 100 f/2.2 and the HCD 24 f/4.8. These are from Asilomar beach in Pacific Grove, CA (near Monterrey). I think these do a nice job of demonstrating the DR of GFX. I don't think I could have got the surfing shots even with my Sony A7rII.

GFX 50S    H MOUNT ADAPTER G + HC 2,2/100MM lens    100mm    f/8.0    1/170s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    H MOUNT ADAPTER G + HCD 4,8/24MM lens    24mm    f/8.0    1/30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    H MOUNT ADAPTER G + HCD 4,8/24MM lens    24mm    f/8.0    1/30s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:56 PM
gilgabo
• • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Canon FD 85/1.2L

GFX + Canon FD 85mm f/1.2L

GFX 50S    85.0 mm lens    85mm    f/1.0    1/500s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Sep 08, 2017 at 06:50 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

mamiya a 120mm isnt too bad:

Sep 11, 2017 at 07:40 PM
rfkiii
• •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

JLRII wrote:
I have a Kipon EF-GFX E adapter on order (which I expect to receive sometime next week) and will be giving my GFX a try with the following Canon EF mount lenses:

17mm f/4L TS-E
24mm f/1.4L II
35mm f/1.4L II
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art
100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
24-70mm f/2.8L II
70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
16-35mm f/4L IS
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II

I purchased the adapter exclusively for use with the tilt-shift lens, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious to see what coverage is like with the rest of my Canon glass.

Hi have you made any progress on testing these lenses with the Kipon adapter?

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:16 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

JLRII wrote:
I have a Kipon EF-GFX E adapter on order (which I expect to receive sometime next week) and will be giving my GFX a try with the following Canon EF mount lenses:

17mm f/4L TS-E
24mm f/1.4L II
35mm f/1.4L II
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art
100mm f/2.8L IS Macro
24-70mm f/2.8L II
70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
16-35mm f/4L IS
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II

I purchased the adapter exclusively for use with the tilt-shift lens, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious to see what coverage is like with the rest of my Canon glass.

rfkiii wrote:

FWIW, info gleaned from discussions about adapting some Canon EF glass to shift adapters such as the Hartblei HCAM Master TS, indicated you can improve image coverage for some of the zoom lenses, such as the 16-35/4 by removing the rear plastic baffle inside the lens mount. Image circle coverage, IIRC, increases towards the longer end, though this is also the weaker end of the lens.

Sep 13, 2017 at 02:42 AM
JLRII

p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

rfkiii wrote:

See page 5 of this thread, I made a post on Aug 18th with a brief summary of the results and my thoughts for each lens when adapted to the GFX, and a separate post on Aug 19th with a sample image or two shot with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art. For additional images shot with the GFX and Canon EF mount lenses, I have several Colorado/Wyoming landscapes on flickr shot with the 17mm TS-E and at least one photo shot with the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 . I've already sold the 24mm f/1.4 II and 35mm f/1.4 II, but I have a few test images shot with those lenses somewhere on my computer. The 35mm f/1.4 II was actually pretty decent for the most part (it's an awesome lens on 35mm), but it had more vignetting than the Sigma 50mm and bokeh in the corners had a heavy cats' eye look. The 24L II also suffered from heavy vignetting. The 100-400mm combined with the GFX has proven convenient to have in a pinch for shooting telephoto landscapes, but cropping is required due to the heavy vignetting past 135mm (I decided to keep that lens and a 7DII so I have something better suited to shooting wildlife than the GFX). The other zooms (16-35 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II) were all pretty bad with respect to vignetting, the 70-200mm had quite a bit of pin cushion distortion past 180mm. I think that just leaves the 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, that lens is pretty solid on the GFX, some vignetting at longer focus distances wide open, but it cleans up reasonably well on stopping down and has very little vignetting at macro focus distances. Resolution is very high as well - some full res links (about 20MB each) - this is the lens stopped down to f/14 https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4397/37001854672_f4df68a729_o.jpg Another at f/11 (I believe this was at 1:1) - https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4349/37025672202_4ffb45cfee_o.jpg

A few comments on the TS-E 17mm - I'm still trying to get a feel for this lens on the GFX. It doesn't seem to play very well when using tilt, does a bit better with shift, but you really need to stop the lens down to get decent corners (f/13 through f/16 seem to be the sweet spot). I think there might be some field curvature going on, or (more likely) my filter setup is killing resolution at the edges. I need to shoot more with the lens without a CPL or ND mounted.

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:10 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

JLRII wrote:
16-35mm f/4L IS - a fair amount of mechanical vignetting in the corners at 16mm until about 20mm, I guess it's usable past 20mm if you don't mind the traditional vignetting. Given that I own the 17mm tilt-shift and am planning to purchase the Fuji 23mm f/4 (mostly so I'll have access to a weather-sealed ultra-wide), I doubt I'll hang on to this lens much longer.

I just read back through the thread and noticed your post before coming back to this page and seeing that you posted again. As I noted above, it's possible to remove the 16-35/4's rear plastic baffle to eliminate some of the mechanical vignetting, though not sure how much improvement it will make with the GFX's sensor.

Re: TS-E 17 - back in ~2009 when it was released, it was pretty impressive, but I think it's starting to show weaknesses on the current ~40-50MP sensors, particularly when shifted. Seems Nikon's new 19 might be a better performer.

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:21 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

mb126 wrote:
Anyone tried the Canon 200 f/1.8L? It would be insanely interesting to me if that lens covered this sensor, even if it required stopping down a stop or so (an effective 150 f/1.2 doesn't seem that useful to me anyway).

I realize this is an old post, but wondering how you would focus an old Canon fly-by-wire USM lens, such as the 200/1.8? Are there any adapters that provide power for aperture and drive focusing motors?

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:26 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

wayne seltzer wrote:
Sharpness is just one factor, rendering style is another important factor of lenses and just like a lot of us in this forum enjoy shooting older less sharp, lenses with character on our FF cameras, why can't people enjoy shooting older glass or non native lenses on miniMF? Seems like normal alt forum behavior to me.

Do you have a GFX Wayne?

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:32 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

rscheffler wrote:
I just read back through the thread and noticed your post before coming back to this page and seeing that you posted again. As I noted above, it's possible to remove the 16-35/4's rear plastic baffle to eliminate some of the mechanical vignetting, though not sure how much improvement it will make with the GFX's sensor.

Re: TS-E 17 - back in ~2009 when it was released, it was pretty impressive, but I think it's starting to show weaknesses on the current ~40-50MP sensors, particularly when shifted. Seems Nikon's new 19 might be a better performer.

...and tilted. Even 1 or 2 degrees degrades the corners substantially even at small apertures. It's the only TS-E that imo needs a refresh.

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:33 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

nehemiahphoto wrote:
Do you have a GFX Wayne?

Nope, but looks like a great camera! Are you getting one?

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:41 AM
JLRII

p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

rscheffler wrote:

Even on my 22MP 5DIII I could see the weaknesses of the 17mm TS-E when using a full 12mm of shift. On the GFX, I've mostly shot with with the lens as a prime (i.e., no shift/tilt). The wider field of view the lens offers on the GFX has been entertaining to experiment with, and I love working with such flexible files (there is a night and day difference between the raws coming out of my old 5DIII and the raws produced by the GFX).

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:42 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

rscheffler wrote:

Fred Miranda wrote:
...and tilted. Even 1 or 2 degrees degrades the corners substantially even at small apertures. It's the only TS-E that imo needs a refresh.

Yes, now that the 45 has been replaced by the new 50/2.8. Obviously the reason for the 17 is its shift (and to a lesser degree, tilt) capability, otherwise the recent UWA zooms, like the 16-35s and 11-24, 12-24 from Sony, etc., are extremely impressive performers on FF. Not sure how any of those, at least from Canon, hold up on mini-MF

Sep 13, 2017 at 03:44 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

wayne seltzer wrote:
Nope, but looks like a great camera! Are you getting one?

Nah. But it does look great. I'd like to see my Minolta 85 1.4 limited and and the CY 35 1.4 on it. I was hoping you'd have some contax n 85 1.4 photos to show me

Sep 13, 2017 at 04:55 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

JLRII wrote:
Even on my 22MP 5DIII I could see the weaknesses of the 17mm TS-E when using a full 12mm of shift. On the GFX, I've mostly shot with with the lens as a prime (i.e., no shift/tilt). The wider field of view the lens offers on the GFX has been entertaining to experiment with, and I love working with such flexible files (there is a night and day difference between the raws coming out of my old 5DIII and the raws produced by the GFX).

Did anyone try the TS-E 24? I just saw a Clyde Butcher FB video where he had the GFX with either a TS-E 24 or 17 mounted on it.
Probably the 24 after what you are saying about the 17.
Wonder how that compares with native GF 23?

Sep 13, 2017 at 01:23 PM
JLRII

p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

In reply to Wayne - I've been impressed by the performance of Fuji's native glass so far. I suspect the GF 23mm is a better performer wide open on the GFX than the 24mm TS-E II @ f/3.5 without movements - but I also suspect we might be splitting hairs. And hey, if you need movements, you need movements. I could make a case for owning both.

The 17mm TS-E is a different beast, it was a very ambitious design, and makes more compromises (which I suppose are acceptable given the unique characteristics of the lens). Some negatives: color could be better (the images I shoot with the 17mm are less saturated and have less contrast compared to most of the other glass in my bag), the front element is very exposed and is susceptible to flaring/further loss of contrast (which is a big part of why I'm a fan of the fotodiox wonderpana hood, despite the almost comical appearance when mounted), I don't find the sunstars produced by the 8 bladed aperture very attractive, there is a very noticeable drop off in resolution towards the edges of the image circle, particularly at wide apertures, and I agree with Fred's comment regarding performance drop when using tilt (at least when the lens is mounted to the GFX). It can also produce images that few other lenses could - after you've become familiar with the performance characteristics of the lens, it can be a very fun lens to work with.

Sep 13, 2017 at 06:44 PM
1       2       3              8      

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password