FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9              104       105       end

Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

akpo.ca

Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Steve Spencer wrote:
Again, I think there is a big overstatement here. The majority of 645/66/67 lenses aren't properly aligned straight out of the box? Where is your evidence for such a statement. Seems totally made up to me. Oh, and what lens did you use in those shots?

Made up? Try and show me some full resolution shots from your 645/66/67 lenses on your gfx, wide open (or stopped down a bit, doesn't really matter), focused to infinity (a cityscape, for example), showing all four corners of the image. None of this one-corner-crop-only business. I've shown you such an image with the 135/2.0 on a gfx, shot at f/2.0. I bet that 70% of your medium format lenses are decentered on the gfx (one corner being softer than the other corners). 70% is me being generous, in reality and from personal experience it's closer to about 90%.

Roger from LensRentals has a few articles on this; granted, he's testing the lenses on 35mm digital cameras, not 44x33mm 50mp nor the 54x40mm 100mp chip. The bigger the sensor, the chances that a particular lens+adapter+camera combo will be decentered goes up significantly. This is why I say that all MTF charts are theoretical; it doesn't account for manufacturing tolerances between the optical axis, lens assembly/barrel (+screws), adapter (if there is any, and the screws holding the adapter together), camera mount (+screws), and screws holding the sensor in it's place. . I have full resolution samples if you would like to see. Let's see yours.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:14 PM
akpo.ca

p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

I'd also love to see infinity focus @ f/2.0 from your 135/2.0 apo sonnar straight out of box, with any type of adapter, onto the GFX. I'm planning a few trips overseas and want to bring some artistic vintage lenses (for portraits of course) as well as the best clinical modern lenses for landscapes.

If you're wondering which 135mm, it's one of the cheapest 135s around. I make my own lens shims/washers to make sure that each lens I use is correctly centered to the GFX, in order to show off it's theoretical MTF.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:18 PM
akpo.ca

p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

wayne seltzer wrote:
Sharpness is just one factor, rendering style is another important factor of lenses and just like a lot of us in this forum enjoy shooting older less sharp, lenses with character on our FF cameras, why can't people enjoy shooting older glass or non native lenses on miniMF? Seems like normal alt forum behavior to me.

Because we're talking about one thing and not another. I made a couple of generalizations regarding vintage/modern small/mf/lf lenses and some people think that the reputation of their heavily invested glass is at stake or something. Vintage glass is another world of info. Want me to start talking about vintage lenses on the miniMF/GFX? I have xenotars, xenars (f/2.9s and 3.5s typ-d lenses), tessars, planars, trioplans, ernostars, double gauss, petzvals, heliars, etc. What do you want to start off as a side topic or what do you want to see on the GFX?

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

akpo.ca wrote:
Made up? Try and show me some full resolution shots from your 645/66/67 lenses on your gfx, wide open (or stopped down a bit, doesn't really matter), focused to infinity (a cityscape, for example), showing all four corners of the image. None of this one-corner-crop-only business. I've shown you such an image with the 135/2.0 on a gfx, shot at f/2.0. I bet that 70% of your medium format lenses are decentered on the gfx (one corner being softer than the other corners). 70% is me being generous, in reality and from personal experience it's closer to about 90%.

Roger from
...Show more

Sorry you have totally misunderstood Roger's findings and he has not tested any MF lenses. You are making it up. There is no evidence from Roger about the majority of lenses from MF being decentered. All my MF lenses are quite reasonably centered and especially so given that on the GFX I don't need to go all the way to the corners.

Aug 20, 2017 at 01:23 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

akpo.ca wrote:
I'd also love to see infinity focus @ f/2.0 from your 135/2.0 apo sonnar straight out of box, with any type of adapter, onto the GFX. I'm planning a few trips overseas and want to bring some artistic vintage lenses (for portraits of course) as well as the best clinical modern lenses for landscapes.

If you're wondering which 135mm, it's one of the cheapest 135s around. I make my own lens shims/washers to make sure that each lens I use is correctly centered to the GFX, in order to show off it's theoretical MTF.

Now you are being a troll. You won't tell us what lens you shot. You make a bunch of big over simplified statements and then claim that lens rentals has done tests they have not done.. I am not wondering what lens you used I asked you. I assume you would provide an answer. I guess not. I suspect it is the Samyang 135 f/2. That would match that it is one of the cheapest lenses around. As I said that is a good lens, but as you shots show it does have some vignetting that may bother some on the GFX. I know your shots are not to my personal taste, but again that is a personal issue. I say you are a troll because you have engaged on this forum with lots of bold bluster but little candor, evidence, or honesty. I hope our exchanges could be better. If you want to meet in person sometime to get past all this internet posturing. I would be happy to do so. We can even test some of these lenses. I live in Toronto and at least one of your shots appears to be from there.

Aug 20, 2017 at 01:36 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

akpo.ca wrote:
Because we're talking about one thing and not another. I made a couple of generalizations regarding vintage/modern small/mf/lf lenses and some people think that the reputation of their heavily invested glass is at stake or something. Vintage glass is another world of info. Want me to start talking about vintage lenses on the miniMF/GFX? I have xenotars, xenars (f/2.9s and 3.5s typ-d lenses), tessars, planars, trioplans, ernostars, double gauss, petzvals, heliars, etc. What do you want to start off as a side topic or what do you want to see on the GFX?

Sounds good! Any of your vintage glass would be interesting to see.

Aug 20, 2017 at 01:42 PM
akpo.ca

p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

I never said Roger has tested any MF lenses, I said he has articles on lens decentering. If you can't take full resolution samples as evidence of a lens performance then what else can be used for evidence? Theoretical MTFs?

Aug 20, 2017 at 01:54 PM
akpo.ca

p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Steve Spencer wrote:
Now you are being a troll. You won't tell us what lens you shot. You make a bunch of big over simplified statements and then claim that lens rentals has done tests they have not done.. I am not wondering what lens you used I asked you. I assume you would provide an answer. I guess not. I suspect it is the Samyang 135 f/2. That would match that it is one of the cheapest lenses around. As I said that is a good lens, but as you shots show it does have some vignetting that may bother some
...Show more

A troll is someone who presents different opinions with evidence on a forum? Really... I'm from Toronto and all my photos are from Toronto. The Samyang and Zeiss APO Sonnar 135/2 actually has more vignetting in the corners at infinity wide open. Like I said, these are unedited JPGs straight out of the camera. The tiny amounts of vignetting are easily fixable. They have not been post processed in any way because I knew you would be talking about personal/subjective taste. I can edit it to whatever I feel like, more vignetting, less vignetting, that's a completely different story. The thing is that there is no 135mm f/2 (mass produced, don't give me that ernostar/prolinear stuff) for 645, vintage or modern. The closest thing is the 110/2 Zeiss Planar or 110/2 Fujinon, the former which I'm pretty sure is not as high performing to the edges at f/2.0 as this 135mm.

Also, why would you want to test lenses in person with an internet troll? I'd take up your offer only if you take the troll comment back :P

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:01 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

The pictures on your website are more interesting than these. You didn't put lens info on all of them; I'd be interested to know which of the ones you took to Beijing were from the Takumar 35/3.5. It performed well enough on my A7R, but I'm surprised it would be usable on the GFX.

akpo.ca wrote:
Ok, let's compare real sample photographs then, instead of talking theoretical or measured MTFs. Most become moot in real life practice, especially corner performance, when decentering comes into play. Three samples, all 135mm f/2.0, shot wide open, and straight-out-of-camera-jpgs from the GFX. Cost me $400, has a theoretical MTF chart of being pretty much perfect on a 35mm system.

Distant portrait distance:
www.dropbox.com/s/vu6cxw4sdslopyp/DSCF8330.jpg?dl=0

Infinity or near infinity:
www.dropbox.com/s/yxfjmb1o7ro8p29/DSCF2933.jpg?dl=0

Close portrait distance:
www.dropbox.com/s/ajvfad9wj5kuz79/DSCF8341.jpg?dl=0

Looking forward to seeing your superior 200/2.8APO or 120/4APO (which, imo, are both great lenses). Also I'd be more than interested in seeing how your 135/2.0 APO-sonnar performs vs my cheaper alternative.

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:07 PM
akpo.ca

p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

rdeloe wrote:
The pictures on your website are more interesting than these. You didn't put lens info on all of them; I'd be interested to know which of the ones you took to Beijing were from the Takumar 35/3.5. It performed well enough on my A7R, but I'm surprised it would be usable on the GFX.

Thank you Rdeloe. The ones on the website are all fully edited, whereas these full-rez samples are not. If you mouseover the photographs (on the site) the lens name should pop up.

The Takumar 35/3.5 is a really small and compact lens that works very well within the 35mm frame. On the GFX, the corners are smushed with detail loss that cannot be recoverable unless shooting from f/8 and onwards (and even then I think there was a bit of a black circle/vignetting in the far edges that was not recoverable). I shot it wide open for a few closeups for artistic effect (edges swirl and lose detail, but for closeups this is mainly a non-issue).

This photo will show the mushy corners:

I have another small lens that I'll bring next time as an artistic wide for traveling.

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

akpo.ca wrote:
I never said Roger has tested any MF lenses, I said he has articles on lens decentering. If you can't take full resolution samples as evidence of a lens performance then what else can be used for evidence? Theoretical MTFs?

A troll is someone who has not shown any lens decentered and then argues that the majority of MF lenses are decentered out of the box. You have no evidence for that. You falsely implied that Roger has evidence he did not.. Oh, and you are the only one who presented theoretical MTFs and note I don't think they are evidence, but measured MTFs can be. That too smacks of being a troll. You were the one who presented the faulty evidence--theoretical MTFs--and then you accuse me of caring about them, when I said right away they don't really tell us anything. You made a ridiculous claim--that the majority of MF lenses are decentered out of the box. You provided zero evidence for this claim. Yet, you haven't back down from it. That makes you a troll.

Edited on Aug 20, 2017 at 08:25 PM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2017 at 08:14 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

akpo.ca wrote:
A troll is someone who presents different opinions with evidence on a forum? Really... I'm from Toronto and all my photos are from Toronto. The Samyang and Zeiss APO Sonnar 135/2 actually has more vignetting in the corners at infinity wide open. Like I said, these are unedited JPGs straight out of the camera. The tiny amounts of vignetting are easily fixable. They have not been post processed in any way because I knew you would be talking about personal/subjective taste. I can edit it to whatever I feel like, more vignetting, less vignetting, that's a completely different story. The
...Show more

No a troll is not someone who presents different opinions with evidence, but that is not what you have done. You have presented oversimplified gross over generalized statements and then wild speculation (i.e., that most MF lenses are decentered out of the box) without a shred of evidence for any of it. The reason I am willing to meet in person is that I think the best way to deal with trolling on the internet is to meet fact to face. People, myself included, can read people better and often are a lot more polite when you have a real person in front of you. I hope your behavior today is just the way you interact on the internet and not the way you would interact in person. So, yes, I would like to meet up in person if you would like to. Just send me a PM, but please stop making big proclamations without evidence here and please admit when you have made a statement that is over the top and for which you have no evidence like most MF lenses are decentered out of the box.

Aug 20, 2017 at 08:20 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

How about we all not "go there" with the troll labeling? Disagreeing is not trolling.

Steve Spencer wrote:
Again, I think there is a big overstatement here. The majority of 645/66/67 lenses aren't properly aligned straight out of the box? Where is your evidence for such a statement. Seems totally made up to me. Oh, and what lens did you use in those shots?

Someone — sorry, name escapes me at the moment, but I'll edit when I remember — was convinced a few years back that many of the MF backs were not correctly aligned, and he recommended shimming them!

Roger Cicala has, if memory serves, pointed out that if one looks at a number of lenses of any particular model/manufacturer, there is typically a range of adjustment issues. Not all lenses are created equal!

wayne seltzer wrote:
Yes, Dan, I have taken his master printing class and he surely is a great fine art landscape photographer, master printer, and great guy. And pretty good pianist!
His test reminds of when Uwe Steinmueller(RIP) showed me 24x36 prints from a Phase One P40 and a Canon 1ds3. There was not much difference in resolution, just a bit better color.
I was shocked then. Scale that to today's 5dsr 50MP vs miniMF at 50MP I doubt you will see much resolution gain until very large prints. I saw an interesting article written by a photographer friend of Michael Reichman(RIP),
...Show more

Ha! And I didn't even mention the musical thing. (He played at our wedding, oh so many years ago... And we'll be heading into the backcountry together soon for some work. :-)

Another funny story from our print review group. My wife is an excellent macro photographer who treats flowers as subjects for abstractions. At a meeting a few months back she put several 12 x 18 inch prints under the lights for us to consider, and she somewhat slyly asked if we noticed anything in particular about one of them. Again we pondered, and when we looked very closely (nose to print) we could see some issues with perhaps contrast and possibly color, but nothing shocking.

It was an iPhone photo. Damn her! ;-)

OK, one more testing story. Another person in this circle is both a fine photographer and a person with a ton of technical background in areas related to image file formats and digital printing. Lots of us — me included — most often manually focus our landscape photographs He did some tests and determined that it was almost impossible for anyone to MF more accurately than a properly used AF system, and he challenged some good photographers to try to prove him wrong. No one has. (I still MF my landscape photographs, and I have my reasons...)

akpo.ca wrote:
Ok, let's compare real sample photographs then, instead of talking theoretical or measured MTFs.

The technical "how many angels dance on the head of the pin" discussions — which, yes, I do understand — often tell us less in the end than actual photographic results.

When both A and B are very good performers, it often doesn't really matter, at least not in a definitive way, that A performs 5% better than B on text X that won't be visible in a print.

Yes, I do read and understand MTF charts and other kinds of data. Yes, I do find them interesting. And, yes, sometimes they do reveal serious differences among lenses. No, they aren't the be all and end all of lens quality. Unless owning the lens that tests best is your goal. That's OK, but the real question is how it performs for making photographs. And once you get into a certain range of lenses, there are often multiple choices that will perform very well.

My Pentax 80-160 no doubt scores lower on some of these tests than certain other options. Yet, I know that when I put it on my camera and make photographs that they have excellent technical quality.

FWIW, ;-)

Dan

Aug 20, 2017 at 08:53 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

I think that's a wise and appropriate perspective Dan. From a lp/mm perspective it's ludicrous for me to be using old OM and FD lenses on a 24MP third generation X-Trans sensor, especially when I have a full kit bag of outstanding modern Fuji glass. But I do. I just like the whole experience of making photographs with those lenses more than I do with modern glass. Well, except for the XF 14/2.8 because it's its own thing for me!

gdanmitchell wrote:
Unless owning the lens that tests best is your goal. That's OK, but the real question is how it performs for making photographs. And once you get into a certain range of lenses, there are often multiple choices that will perform very well.

My Pentax 80-160 no doubt scores lower on some of these tests than certain other options. Yet, I know that when I put it on my camera and make photographs that they have excellent technical quality.

FWIW, ;-)

Dan

Aug 20, 2017 at 09:28 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

rdeloe wrote:
I think that's a wise and appropriate perspective Dan. From a lp/mm perspective it's ludicrous for me to be using old OM and FD lenses on a 24MP third generation X-Trans sensor, especially when I have a full kit bag of outstanding modern Fuji glass. But I do. I just like the whole experience of making photographs with those lenses more than I do with modern glass. Well, except for the XF 14/2.8 because it's its own thing for me!

That 14mm f/2.8 is a nifty little lens. I carry it as my wide when doing street and travel photography, and it turns out to be a great performer.

I was recently asked to produce a 18" x 38" print of a photograph from a San Francisco museum for a client that wanted to use it as part of an interior design project. The photo was actually shot handheld on an XE1 and it needed to be cropped for this use. I thought the print might be "OK" but not stellar, but I was quite pleased that it really ended up looking great.

That said, for my purposes, when photographing such subjects I stick to the Fujifilm lenses and virtually always shoot in AF mode!

Dan

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:20 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

gdanmitchell wrote:
How about we all not "go there" with the troll labeling? Disagreeing is not trolling.

Someone — sorry, name escapes me at the moment, but I'll edit when I remember — was convinced a few years back that many of the MF backs were not correctly aligned, and he recommended shimming them!

Roger Cicala has, if memory serves, pointed out that if one looks at a number of lenses of any particular model/manufacturer, there is typically a range of adjustment issues. Not all lenses are created equal!

Ha! And I didn't even mention the musical thing. (He played at our wedding, oh so many years
...Show more

I agree that disagreeing is not trolling, but making provocative statements without evidence and not backing down when it is pointing out that you haven't provided any evidence that is trolling and I am going to call them the way I see them. I don't care if akpo.ca disagrees. I am all for that and don't mind it a bit, but that is not what happened. The claim that the majority of MF lenses (as opposed to smaller format lenses which was the context) are misaligned out of the box is a clearly provocative statement made without any evidence to back it up, and when asked for evidence he did not provide it but just obfuscated. Note the original statement was not an expression of an opinion either. It was cast as a statement of fact. Well, when you make statements of fact you should be prepared to back them up, and if you can't you should own up to it. Making provocative statement of fact that aren't supported by evidence and then obfuscating when asked to provide evidence; that is trolling. So, yes I did go there and I will when I see it.

I do appreciate your contribution to this thread and I hope you know I am not criticizing you. I do not think you are trolling. If you are bothered by my statement that the test you described is in my view not very definitive or that different testing may be able to show differences I would be glad to explain my thoughts about that more. I am not questioning whether the printing was done well. What I am questioning is making an inference that a difference cannot be observed from one test when it wasn't observed. My concern is a basic philosophy of science concern about observing the absence of a difference. Typically, this requires a lot more evidence that one single test even if it is done pretty well. I also have seen tests done here on the Alt forum where people could judge fairly accurately shots taken by different lenses, so that suggests to me that differences can be observed, so I would see this as an unsettled issue and my guess (i.e., hypothesis) is that under the right conditions difference could be observed, but I acknowledge that I don't have any real evidence for that at this point.

So, thanks for your contribution. I do appreciate it even when we disagree. And I want to be explicitly clear that I do not think you were being a troll here, but I reserve the right to label someone as a troll when I think their behavior warrants it.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Let all get back to enjoy our equipment and get out to shot more.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:14 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Here, just having some fun so I decided to stick my hundred odd dollars lens (ok, two hundred odd dollars including modification to M mount) on my GFX.

schneider by Suteetat S, on Flickr

Schneider-Kreuznach Super-Cinelux 2/60mm projector lens. This one was uncropped but unfortunately it has strong vignette that for most purpose, it can be use only at 1:1 ratio or require other heavy cropping. A lot of fun to use on my Leica SL and A7r ii and made a fun portrait lens and very interesting conversational piece

Aug 22, 2017 at 07:15 PM
rfkiii
• •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

I am not seeking to adapt any and all FF lenses to the GFX, but since I happen to own a couple of lenses that I believe may never be released by any MF brand (EF 11-24 & EF 100-400 II), I have interest in adapting them.

The current native Fuji lenses I own look sharper to me as a system than any FF combo I've owned (save the Otus lenses @ f1.4) so I am not interested in FF lenses within Fuji's range. I am hoping that Fuji proves the rumors true and comes out with lenses like a 80-160 or thereabouts and longer primes soon. Fuji claims their lenses for the GFX are designed for 100 MP and I believe it. The lenses are what makes this system special.

However, I am interested in MF lenses I can adapt to the GFX now. I have several lenses from my 645z kit that extend the current GFX capability. I am looking into Contax 645 lenses as Steel Chen is about to release an AF adapter for these. All of these lenses are cheap enough that I can afford them as an interim solution until Fuji fills in the holes.

As for the 44x33 sensor, of course it is an incremental improvement over FF. I've spent 10s of thousands of dollars on incremental improvements since 2008. How many of you spent $8k on a 21 MP 1Ds III or 24 MP D3x and thought you had a very fine camera? The GFX is a dollar bargain ($6.5k) and IQ monster compared to these cameras.

Aug 23, 2017 at 06:01 AM
padam19

p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

The Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 65mm f2
Fully mechanical, and it could cover a bigger image circle (definitely at close range, maybe less so at infinity). Also, it was designed with the thicker sensor stack in mind in the first place, so it might not smear if it actually covers it. Reasonably priced for its sharpness, and the focal length could become more standard. Somewhat big for an E-mount prime lens, but much more normal in the GFX world.

So I wonder if the mount can be exchanged to a GFX one, it's definitely a custom job...does anybody want to try that?

I guess it is just not feasible to see dedicated manual GFX lenses at this stage, even though some of these 35mm lenses could be modified to work reasonably well with the larger sensor.

Aug 25, 2017 at 05:27 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.