New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3              104       105       end

Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Here are the crop for the Milvus 21 f/2.8. Notice the strong cyan fringing in the corners.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Finally, here is what the Hassy HC 100 f/2.2, a lens designed to cover full frame 645 Medium Format looks like. Notice the complete absence of vignetting. I didn't use a profile here either or adjust exposure. This is straight out of the camera. I am just posting the 4 X 3 full shot.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:50 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

A couple of further comments. I turned vignetting correction up all the way in lightroom, which for some of the lens just isn't needed and it tends to add a bit of color artifacts. I generally don't like vignetting correction and it isn't needed for all of these shots. For example the Milvus 135 f/2 APO really only needs it for 4 X 3 crops and there only if you really care about the corners darkening a bit. Of course turning vignetting correction up part way is often better than turning it up all the way.

My general take away from these tests so far is that all the lenses except the Otus 28 are useable in 1 X 1 crop mode, although the Milvus 21 is just barely useable and you get just a hint of that awful cyan fringing even in the 1 x 1 crop. For my need the Milvus 135 f/2 APO is totally useable as a portrait lens and especially in a 4 X 5 crop. I would also use the Milvus 85 and the Otus 55 even in 4 X 5 mode, but there is enough vignetting they wouldn't be my first choice. I doubt I would use the Milvus 85 much as I have the Hassy HC 100 f/2.2, which I am much more likely to use. I still have to test the Leica M 75 f/1.4 and 90 f/2 AA as well, but I don't have my Leica M adapter yet. The Otus may or may not get much use. It depends on how much I like it compared to other lenses. I also have a Mamiya 645 55 f/2.8N. That lens is obviously slower, but won't have any trouble with vignetting and even though it is a FF 645 MF lens, it is much smaller than the Otus. And speaking of small suteetat's reports make me want to try out my Leica M 50 f/2 APO on this camera, but again I am waiting for that adapter. If I ever needed a lens as wide as the Zeiss Classic 35 f/1.4, I might go ahead and use it. I don't shoot portraits this wide very often, however, so I can't see using it much. If fact, the only one of these lenses I am likely to use much for portraits is the Milvus 135. The others will just be used in rare circumstances. If the Leica M 50 f/2 APO, 75 f/1.4, and 90 f/2 AA work reasonably well, then I would use them more as there small size might be useful at times.

I still want to test my Hassy MF lenses vs. quality Zeiss lenses on the Sony A7rII, but the weather has been very rainy here lately and I haven't had a chance to do the comparisons I would like. Hopefully I will get to those before too long, and suteetat unfortunately I won't be able to compare the Hassy lenses to the Fuji native lenses because I have not Fuji native lenses.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:07 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

I tested the Sigma 12-24 ART and it is no vignetting at 17mm (which is about 14mm FOV for GFX). So it is as wide as it can get.

Jun 27, 2017 at 12:47 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

I don't know if I had a problem copy or what but I got some of that 21 Distagon color shift in the corners even on my D750.

Jun 27, 2017 at 01:19 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

charles.K wrote:
Thank you for sharing your tests Steve !!! Awesome shots ...

+1! Go away, you bearer of bad new (for me). And take your spendid shots with you!

Jun 27, 2017 at 01:33 AM
genji
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Steve Spencer wrote:
A couple of further comments. I turned vignetting correction up all the way in lightroom, which for some of the lens just isn't needed and it tends to add a bit of color artifacts. I generally don't like vignetting correction and it isn't needed for all of these shots. For example the Milvus 135 f/2 APO really only needs it for 4 X 3 crops and there only if you really care about the corners darkening a bit. Of course turning vignetting correction up part way is often better than turning it up all the way.

My general take away
...Show more

Steve, these tests are most instructive and equally as valuable as Jim Kasson's. I'm surprised, given the lack of vignetting with the Hasselblad 110/2, that you wrote "If fact, the only one of these lenses I am likely to use much for portraits is the Milvus 135". Is that because the Hasselblad lens isn't long enough? Or because you prefer the way the Milvus renders? Or both? Also, are you not tempted by the Fujifilm 110/2 native lens?

Jun 27, 2017 at 08:32 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

genji wrote:
Steve, these tests are most instructive and equally as valuable as Jim Kasson's. I'm surprised, given the lack of vignetting with the Hasselblad 110/2, that you wrote "If fact, the only one of these lenses I am likely to use much for portraits is the Milvus 135". Is that because the Hasselblad lens isn't long enough? Or because you prefer the way the Milvus renders? Or both? Also, are you not tempted by the Fujifilm 110/2 native lens?

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I will definitely be using the Hassy HC 100 f/2.2. It is a very nice lens and I already like its rendering. I meant amongst the six Milvus/Otus/Classic lenses, the only one I am likely to use very much is the Milvus 135 f/2 APO. Most of the lenses i plan to use are medium format lenses. I haven't fully tested all the lenses yet, but right now I am planning basically a nine lens kit for the Fuji GFX that includes:

Hassy HCD 24 f/4.8 - it is looking like a great ultra wide angle lens and I think it did well in the tests I posted above. I don't see any major issues with it and I doubt I will get the fully native Fuji 23 f/4 instead.

Hassy CFE IF 40 f/4 - this looks like a strong performing wide angle. In fact so much so that I think it will compete pretty well with the Otus 28 on the Sony A7rII. We will see how those tests come out, but this looks like a good option.

Mamiya 645 55 f/2.8N - this very inexpensive lens looks like a good performer so far and it is actually pretty small. I think I will keep it even if I like other lenses more as it will make a great normal walk around lens for times when I want that. I think of it like a small 40 f/2 lens for FF 35mm.

Hassy HC 100 f/2.2 - As I said above I really like this lens and its rendering so far. I think it is definitely a keeper. In fact, it is this lens and the Milvus 135 f/2 APO that keep me from being interested in the fully native Fuji 110 f/2.

Mamiya 645 120 f/4 A Macro - This is a lovely macro lens and quite inexpensive. It also is not very large at all. As Jim Colwell has argued for years on this board, it has great performance as a macro and very good performance at infinity as well. I still need to test it more, but I am not surprised that my use so far seems to line up with Jim's assessment.

Zeiss Milvus 135 f/2 APO - This is a great lens on FF 35mm and it really loses very little on the Fuji (and actually gains even shallower depth of field) as my tests show. I am very happy with it. It is great for close up work too as I hope the flower shots at the top of this thread show.

Hassy CF 180 f/4 - This is a fairly inexpensive lens, but a very nice landscape lens and can handle portraits in a pinch. It also isn't all that large for what it provides. I need to test it more, but I am impressed for now.

Mamiya 645 200 f/2.8 APO - I have ordered this one, but I haven't got it yet, but I have high hopes for it. Some like this lens very much even on FF 35mm and John Black has a nice test of it on the Leica S in which it does very well. I have high hope that it will be my long portrait lens for the Fuji GFX.

Hassy HC 300 f/4.5 - Because of the length of this lens, I haven't really tested it yet--it was really too long for the white wall test and I really need to test this one outdoors and it has been raining too much. I plan to use this lens as a long portrait lens a lot like a 200 f/2.8 on FF 35mm (it is more like an f/3.2 lens, however). I think I will be happy with the shallow depth of field of this lens and I think the leaf shutter will be nice, but at this focal length I am also enticed by the Mamiya 645 300 f/2.8 APO, which would be very fast. I don't know if I would use this focal length enough to justify that lens, however.

I still really need to test my M lenses as possible portrait lenses too. I have high hopes for my 50 f/2 AA and suteetat's reports are both promising and worrisome. I like that it seems to work, of course, and this lens is fantastic on FF 35mm both on a Sony and a Leica. Very sharp with few aberrations and very nice bokeh. If it retains those characteristics on the Sony that would be fabulous and it is a tiny lens. The reports of field curvature, however, make me concerned it won't be quite up to snuff on the Fuji so we shall see. I also have on order a 75 lux, which I have hopes will be a lot like a Noctilux on the Fuji. Finally, I have hopes for the 90 cron AA and even hope that it would work for 3 X 2 landscapes, but that is perhaps too much to hope for. If it did work, however, it might be a nice landscape compliment to the Hassy HC 100 f/2.2.

So, I think I have a nice set of lenses, but it is still a work in progress. At this point I am not really interested in native lenses as AF is likely to be a bit challenged on the GFX and I prefer manual focus anyway. Also the native lenses are focus by wire, which are my least favourite lenses to manual focus.

Jun 27, 2017 at 11:15 PM
genji
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Actually you were being clear, it was my reading comprehension that was fault. Your phrase "these lenses" obviously refers to the group of six Zeiss lenses being tested in your previous posts. But in a way I'm glad I got it wrong because you then provided an excellent explanation of how you arrived at your nine lens kit. Thank you!

Steve Spencer wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I will definitely be using the Hassy HC 100 f/2.2. It is a very nice lens and I already like its rendering. I meant amongst the six Milvus/Otus/Classic lenses, the only one I am likely to use very much is the Milvus 135 f/2 APO. Most of the lenses i plan to use are medium format lenses. I haven't fully tested all the lenses yet, but right now I am planning basically a nine lens kit for the Fuji GFX that includes:

Hassy HCD 24 f/4.8 - it is looking like a great ultra wide
...Show more

Jun 28, 2017 at 12:04 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Lee Saxon wrote:
I don't know if I had a problem copy or what but I got some of that 21 Distagon color shift in the corners even on my D750.

I did with the ZE version on my 5D MKII and on the Sony A7 II as well. It generally went away when you stopped down on those cameras. I have no such hope on the Fuji, however.

Jun 28, 2017 at 01:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Here are a few more from the weekend. A portrait of my son and three landscape type shots. I continue to think the Fuji offers a nice benefit over my Sony A7rII for portraits and I am like the Hassy HC 100 f/2.2 a lot, but for landscapes I am not so sure it is much of an advantage. The Fuji sensor does seem to have more dynamic range. I can certainly lift shadows more with the Fuji--and that is saying a lot because you can lift the shadows a lot with the Sony. I also think the Fuji sensor holds colors in the highlights a bit better too, but these differences aren't large and they are offset by what I think from my first impression is lenses with more micro contrast for the Sony. We will see with more testing but those are my early impressions and now some shots from the Fuji. The first two are the Hassy HC 100 f/2.2, followed by a shot with the Hassy HCD 24 f/4.8, followed by a shot with the Hassy CFE IF 40 f/4.

The aperture is obviously wrong but the other info is correct.

Jul 03, 2017 at 11:54 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Looks great, Steve. I do think the HC 100 might be at least partially responsible for your appreciation of the GFX's portrait performance over the a7-series. When I was looking at MF cameras (back when the 645Z was released) the guys I talked to who were shooting Hassy universally cited that lens as a reason. It'll be interesting to see if Fuji's dedicated fast short tele develops the same kind of following.

Are you still planning to pick up an Actus GFX?

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:08 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Steve Spencer wrote:
I did with the ZE version on my 5D MKII and on the Sony A7 II as well. It generally went away when you stopped down on those cameras. I have no such hope on the Fuji, however.

I've used a few lenses where the IC ended with that same kind of blue or blue-green halo (like the Hassy CF 40 and the ZS Distagon 25) and others that simply fade to black like your Otus 28 (Touit 50, APO-Grandagon 35). I assume it has something to do with the rear element and how light passes through at the edge.

Jul 04, 2017 at 01:51 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

freaklikeme wrote:
Looks great, Steve. I do think the HC 100 might be at least partially responsible for your appreciation of the GFX's portrait performance over the a7-series. When I was looking at MF cameras (back when the 645Z was released) the guys I talked to who were shooting Hassy universally cited that lens as a reason. It'll be interesting to see if Fuji's dedicated fast short tele develops the same kind of following.

Are you still planning to pick up an Actus GFX?

Hi,

Yes, I am planning to get the GFX in the long run. I want to make sure the Hassy CFE IF is suitable for tilt shift but I think it will be and then I am pretty sure I will add the Rodenstock 120 Macro. Beyond that I will see. The Rodenstock 60 f/4 and 100 f/4 Digaron-S's look fantastic, but I am not sure I will get as much use out of them as they are fairly close to the CFE IF 40 and the 120 Macro. I may add a 70 Digaron-W in time. I do think the GFX offers some very nice tilt shift capabilities.

I think the native Fuji 110 f/2 will be very nice. I know I will be happy with the Hassy HC 100 f/2.2, though. It reminds me a lot of the Leica M 75 f/1.4 and the MTFs interesting looks quite a bit a like. The Fuji sensor, however, seems to be very good for portraits and it is easy to use for them,

Jul 04, 2017 at 10:41 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I am planning to get the GFX in the long run. I want to make sure the Hassy CFE IF is suitable for tilt shift but I think it will be and then I am pretty sure I will add the Rodenstock 120 Macro. Beyond that I will see. The Rodenstock 60 f/4 and 100 f/4 Digaron-S's look fantastic, but I am not sure I will get as much use out of them as they are fairly close to the CFE IF 40 and the 120 Macro. I may add a 70 Digaron-W in time. I do think
...Show more

I'm betting the only problem you'll have with the CFE 40 is that you'll run out of IC if you try to use it with full shift and rise or fall. The CF didn't give a lot of room beyond the 80mm IC necessary for the intended 6x6 frame, so, even with the a7, I could hit the edge. It'll be interesting to see if the CFE has a larger IC.

The 120 is a tiny little gem, but it's not going to be much of a macro lens on the standard Actus, since you need 236mm flange-to-sensor for 1:1. If that matters to you, you'll want to look at the 300mm rail and longer bellows or using extension tubes between the Actus and GFX. I will say the part of the IC I've been able to use on digital cameras is sharp and richly detailed for landscapes as well as being the finest macro lens I own.

It would be very cool if someone came up with a way to use your H lenses on the Actus. Even your 24 would give you some room to shift, certainly enough to make it worth using.

Jul 05, 2017 at 11:34 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Ok, here are some tests of the Hassy HCD 24 f/4.8 on the Fuji GFX compared to the Loxia 21 f/2.8 on the Sony A7rII. I took these last night as the sun was setting in a local park. I did my best to make adjustments for the variable lighting, but there is no way to get that perfect. Also it was fairly windy and these are long exposures, so pay attention to the fixed objects and not things like leaves (and people) that were likely moving. As you will see the Hassy is a bit wider more like a 19 or 20mm lens, so the corners are not in exactly the same place, but I think the comparisons are still pretty good. Also because of the different aspect ratios I cropped the Hassy/Fuji image to 3 by 2 in lightroom and then downsized it ever so slightly to match the 44 megapixels of the Sony. Anyway, below you will find the Hassy full shot, followed by the Loxia full shot, then comparison of f/5 on the Fuji with f/4 on the Sony in the centre, the right zone B, and finally the lower right corner.

Jul 09, 2017 at 09:19 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Here is f/7.1 on the Hassy/Fuji compared to f/5.6 on Loxia/Sony. Note I am using different apertures to get fairly equivalent depth of field capabilities.

Jul 09, 2017 at 09:22 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Here is f/8 on the Hassy/Fuji vs f/6.3 on the Loxia/Sony. This seems to be the best aperture for each combination.

Jul 09, 2017 at 09:23 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

Finally, f/10 on the Hassy/Fuji vs. f/8 on the Loxia/Sony.

Jul 09, 2017 at 09:25 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX

My overall take is that in sharpness they are very close. The Loxia is perhaps a hair sharper/better contrast in the centre and the Hassy is a tiny bit better in the corner, but really there is not much to sharpness differences. The color and dynamic range, however, is more noticeable and it is better with the Fuji sensor especially in highlight recovery. The Sony shot could have had a bit less exposure, and they were taken a few minutes earlier and thus the light had a bit more dynamic range, so this test is less than definitive, but it is consistent with my experience that the Fuji does have a bit more dynamic range.

The big differences between the two setups, however, is the size and the price. The Hassy/Fuji is much more expensive and much bigger. Since I have both I will probably use the Hassy/Fuji when I don't have to carry stuff far, but if I was only getting one system the Sony is definitely a much better value and I don't think you will notice the Fuji advantages all that often for landscapes. For me the Fuji is justified by other types of shooting.

Jul 09, 2017 at 09:34 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.