genji
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

stempsons wrote:
Minolta Rokkor 45/2 @f/2 (uncropped full image) followed by cropped version

---------------------------------------------

stempsons wrote:
Rokkor 45/2 again just for an idea of the quality of this $30 lens on 6k camera...

I've got some excellent results with the Rokkor MD 45/2 on an A7R II but these GFX pictures are remarkable. Does anyone have an explanation (or a theory) as to why this supposedly low-end lens turns out not only to cover the GFX 33mm x 44mm sensor but also yields such stellar results?

Nov 06, 2017 at 07:57 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

genji wrote:
---------------------------------------------

I've got some excellent results with the Rokkor MD 45/2 on an A7R II but these GFX pictures are remarkable. Does anyone have an explanation (or a theory) as to why this supposedly low-end lens turns out not only to cover the GFX 33mm x 44mm sensor but also yields such stellar results?

the larger the format, the less image imperfections matter. the lens design probably gives a gentle fall off towards the edge rather than trying to be really good all the way to edge of a FF sensor, so it does ok on medium format too. i always thought the lens sucked outside the midzone on FF. it has pleasant colors though.

Nov 07, 2017 at 06:31 AM
gerhard.hagen

p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Hi,

i am planning on buying a Fuji GFX 50s. To sell unnecessary stuff for funding, iŽd like to know whether the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 III is working properly on the Fuji with the appropriate adapter. Any news on this?
Google search doesnŽt help. Only results for the 16-35 f/4 IS show up.

Thanks in advance

Gerhard

Nov 08, 2017 at 09:44 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

gerhard.hagen wrote:
Hi,

i am planning on buying a Fuji GFX 50s. To sell unnecessary stuff for funding, iŽd like to know whether the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 III is working properly on the Fuji with the appropriate adapter. Any news on this?
Google search doesnŽt help. Only results for the 16-35 f/4 IS show up.

Thanks in advance

Gerhard

I haven't see this lens tested either, but I would be confident that it won't work for the whole range, but will probably be at least ok for some of the range. If that sort of profile is ok with you, then I might wait and try it, but if it isn't (as it isn't for me), then you could probably sell it without worrying. There isn't a wide angle zoom made for the Fuji GFX and I have doubts about whether there ever will be. The Fuji G 23 f/4 is an excellent lens, however, so if a prime is suitable at this wide then I think that is an excellent choice, but if you want a zoom that covers ultra wide you are likely to have to put up with some compromises and it that is something to consider before switching.
Said another way, if it was me I would sell the 16-35 f/2.8 and get the Fuji F 23 f/4. If that doesn't work for you and ultra wide angle is important, then I would think again about whether you want the Fuji GFX.

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:01 AM
gerhard.hagen

p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Thank you very much for your your fast reply,

i think iŽll sell the 16-35 and go the 23/4 route. I still have the TS-E 17 for the occasional extreme wide angle shot.

Gerhard

Nov 08, 2017 at 10:04 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

gerhard.hagen wrote:
Thank you very much for your your fast reply,

i think iŽll sell the 16-35 and go the 23/4 route. I still have the TS-E 17 for the occasional extreme wide angle shot.

Gerhard

Remember the 23 f/4 will have the field of view of a 17mm lens on FF 35mm if you use a 4 X 3 aspect ratio or anything squarer and an field of view of a 19mm lens on FF 35mm if you use a 3 X 2 aspect ratio or anything with a skinnier rectangle, so the 23 is already a very wide lens. If you keep the 17, then that will definitely be an extreme wide angle. It has the field of view of a 12mm lens on FF 35mm if you use a 4 X 3 aspect ration or anything squarer, and a 14mm field of view if you use a 3 X 2 aspect ratio or anything that is a skinnier rectangle. As long as you are comfortable with primes you ought to have ultra wide angle and extreme wide angle quite well covered.

Nov 08, 2017 at 12:23 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

I am going to post some shots with the Leica R 50 f/1.4 E55, Leica R 80 f/1.4, and the Minolta MD 135 f/2. I hope these show a bit of those lenses character. Let's start with the Leica R 50 f/1.4 E55.

This is a wall shot wide open. Even with vignetting corrections the tips of the corners are dark

This is the same wall at f/5.6 now you have coverage of the corners pretty much. Both shots are cropped to 4 X 5

You can see the swirly bokeh here. The lens does better on a real scene.

You can see coverage of a real scene cropped to 4 X 5 works pretty well.

Look at these bokeh circles and the swirly bokeh.

Nov 11, 2017 at 04:28 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Here are some shots with the Leica R 80 f/1.4. This covers the image circle even wide open at least at shorter distances which is all I have tried. It covers better than the Zeiss Milvus 85 f/1.4. I think it is a lovely lens on the GFX.

Just vignetting correction and exposure correction and shot wide open.

At f/1.0 depth of field capabilities it can easily blow out a background.

More very shallow depth of field.

Not blisteringly sharp wide open, but not bad.

This was shot at f/1.7 so you can see how round the circles are even stopped down.

Nov 11, 2017 at 04:33 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Now some with the Minolta MD 135 f/2. This is a lovely lens. I think you will see it is more like the Leica R 80 f/1.4 than the Leica R 50 is. You can make it fringe with back lighting, and as you will see stopped down the bokeh "circles," are octagons, but despite a few slight flaws I like it very much.

Vignetting correction and exposure correction only. Full 4 X 3 frame.

This too can blow out the background. The MFD isn't that short 1.3m, but it still does alright.

A challenging shot, but the lens does pretty well.

This one demonstrates the sharpness wide open.

This was shot at f/2.8 and you can see some octagons, but not terrible, IMO.

Nov 11, 2017 at 04:39 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Here are some shots with the Contax 645 45 f/2.8. It works pretty well on the camera with the Fringer adapter. The adapter at least with the firmware I have on it right now is a little flaky and I have to mount the lens a couple of times before the aperture can be set properly, but once it is mounted it works well.
I like the bokeh better at mid and long distances than close up, but it isn't terrible close up. I think I see quite a bit of 3D pop with the lens and I like the rendering. It is a large lens and even on the GFX feels pretty big. Here are some samples. The last one is trying to look at field curvature and there doesn't seem to be a lot unlike the Leica M 50AA that I will show next.

GFX 50S    Fringer/C645 45/2.8 lens    45mm    f/2.8    1/50s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    Fringer/C645 45/2.8 lens    45mm    f/2.8    1/35s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    Fringer/C645 45/2.8 lens    45mm    f/2.8    1/170s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    Fringer/C645 45/2.8 lens    45mm    f/2.8    1/150s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    Fringer/C645 45/2.8 lens    45mm    f/4.0    1/55s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #11 · p.11 #11 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

These next few are with the Leica M 50 f/2 APO. On the positive side with some post processing tricks I was able to eliminate the vignetting with this lens on a 4 X 5 crop as you can see in the wall test. The color still looks a bit magenta, but not too bad, but if you look close the sharpness fall off across the frame is pretty dramatic, and there appears to be pretty strong field curvature as I believe you will be able to see in the second shot. The sharpness curves away from the camera as you approach the edges of the frame. The third and fourth shots at pretty heavy crops and with such crops I think the lens would do fine (even though these examples aren't that great), but I don't see the point of using the lens not the GFX if I am going to make such large crops. Anyway, here are some samples.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:09 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #12 · p.11 #12 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Here are some samples with the Leica M 90 f/2 APO. With enough post processing you can basically get rid of the vignetting with this lens as well, but again there is a bit of magenta in the shot of the wall and just a tiny big of remaining vignette. In the field I like this lens better than the 50AA, but I still don't like it as well as the R 80 f/1.4. The bokeh isn't as nice as the 80 lux and there is much more to clean up in post processing. It is very sharp, however. Anyway, here are a few samples.

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:13 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.11 #13 · p.11 #13 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Are the 90AA shots processed much differently or does it really have that much more pop and saturation?

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:18 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #14 · p.11 #14 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Lee Saxon wrote:
Are the 90AA shots processed much differently or does it really have that much more pop and saturation?

They are pretty heavily processed, but no saturation has been added. Here is what I did. In Lightroom I selected the profile for the lens. Then I cropped to 4 X 5, which gets rid of most of the vignetting. Then I set the blacks to anchor the bottom of the histogram, which is usually a small adjustment then played with shadows and highlights to taste. The I added contrast by turning the whites up about 10 and the blacks down about 10 in curves. Then I exported the file to Photoshop. In Photoshop I use the lens correction filter set to custom to remove the remaining vignetting. Then I do an adjustment in the shadows and highlights tweaking both and typically add just a bit of mid contrast. Then I check levels and maybe tweaked these a bit and then I think I added a linear contrast in curves. From there I just resized for the web and saved them as a jpeg. This is pretty much my standard post processing other than handling the vignetting.

Contrary to its reputation, I do find the 90AA has pretty good pop and excellent saturation on my Leica M10 and on my Sony A7r II as well.

Nov 14, 2017 at 04:32 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.11 #15 · p.11 #15 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Thanks for the sample images Steve. I really appreciate it!

Nov 14, 2017 at 03:37 PM
lostinjapan
• • •
p.11 #16 · p.11 #16 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Hi All,

I have been reading through this and the other GFX 50s threads for a while, almost ready to make the jump as the camera seems perfect for my kind of shooting. I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Hasselblad Zeiss V series or FE series lenses on the GFX. I have and still use a 503 system here with several lenses. Since the GFX lacks anything longer than 120mm at the moment, I was hoping to use my Blad lenses until something native comes along.

Thanks!

Ryan

Nov 16, 2017 at 04:00 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #17 · p.11 #17 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

lostinjapan wrote:
Hi All,

I have been reading through this and the other GFX 50s threads for a while, almost ready to make the jump as the camera seems perfect for my kind of shooting. I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Hasselblad Zeiss V series or FE series lenses on the GFX. I have and still use a 503 system here with several lenses. Since the GFX lacks anything longer than 120mm at the moment, I was hoping to use my Blad lenses until something native comes along.

Thanks!

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I have the Hassy CFE-IF 40 f/4, the C 100 f/3.5, and the CF 180 f/4. All are wonderful lenses on the GFX. Jim Kasson has tested the 250 f/5.6 superachromat and he reports excellent performance with that lens too. So certainly some of them work well. I am less sure about some of the other lenses, however. For example, based on the MTF charts I would worry about the plain 250 f/5.6 or the F 250 f/4, but they might work out ok. What lenses do you have?

Nov 16, 2017 at 05:42 PM
lostinjapan
• • •
p.11 #18 · p.11 #18 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Steve Spencer wrote:
Hi Ryan,

I have the Hassy CFE-IF 40 f/4, the C 100 f/3.5, and the CF 180 f/4. All are wonderful lenses on the GFX. Jim Kasson has tested the 250 f/5.6 superachromat and he reports excellent performance with that lens too. So certainly some of them work well. I am less sure about some of the other lenses, however. For example, based on the MTF charts I would worry about the plain 250 f/5.6 or the F 250 f/4, but they might work out ok. What lenses do you have?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind reply. I have the 50mm FLE, 80mm CF, 150/4, 180 CFE and the 250/5.6 CF. If would get the 32-64 zoom so I wouldn't worry much about the 50mm, but the 80mm, 180mm and occasional 250mm would be what I would be most interested in using, perhaps the 150 CF as well.

Thanx!

Ryan

Nov 16, 2017 at 06:10 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.11 #19 · p.11 #19 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

lostinjapan wrote:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind reply. I have the 50mm FLE, 80mm CF, 150/4, 180 CFE and the 250/5.6 CF. If would get the 32-64 zoom so I wouldn't worry much about the 50mm, but the 80mm, 180mm and occasional 250mm would be what I would be most interested in using, perhaps the 150 CF as well.

Thanx!

Ryan

Your 180 CFE should be a lot like my 180 CF and it should be excellent. I will be interested in what you think of the 80 CF--all the Hassy V mount 80s including the F and FE are the same optical formula. I have heard the 250 is ok, but doesn't quite hold up to the demands of the sensor. Fuji is coming out with a 250 f/4 next year (it is on their official roadmap), so that should be available before too long.

Nov 16, 2017 at 07:40 PM
lostinjapan
• • •
p.11 #20 · p.11 #20 · Adapting Lenses to the Fuji GFX - 50s

Steve Spencer wrote:
Your 180 CFE should be a lot like my 180 CF and it should be excellent. I will be interested in what you think of the 80 CF--all the Hassy V mount 80s including the F and FE are the same optical formula. I have heard the 250 is ok, but doesn't quite hold up to the demands of the sensor. Fuji is coming out with a 250 f/4 next year (it is on their official roadmap), so that should be available before too long.

Thanks again. I always loved the 180 CFE on film, looking forward to trying it on digital. The 80mm CF is another favorite though I am not sure it will hold up on digital, but I will have to give it a try.

Thanx!

Ryan

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:42 PM
1       2       3              10      
       12       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
       12       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password