Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Acratech Long Lens Head for Nikon 200-500?

psychoanalyst
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Acratech Long Lens Head for Nikon 200-500?

Hello,

I am going on a trip to Alaska next month and am looking for a light weight head for my Nikon 200-500 telephoto lens.

I came across the Acratech Long Lens head and I think it fits the bill as far as form factor and weight is concerned. It seems to be a good compromise between a full fledged Gimbal and a ball-head.

Does anyone have any experience with this combo?

I already have the original Wimberley Gimbal and although it's absolutely fantastic in terms of lens operation, it is pretty big and bulky. I will be going on a camping and hiking trip, so weight is a critical factor for me. I don't think I want to be carrying that with me.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Avi

Jun 22, 2017 at 09:17 PM
daniel ab

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Acratech Long Lens Head for Nikon 200-500?

I use that combo on Gitzo GM2561T monopod & GT1541T tripod.
No problem & works extremely well so far.
(I even used to put 500mm f/4 VRII on top of it)

Jun 22, 2017 at 09:36 PM
flagg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Acratech Long Lens Head for Nikon 200-500?

I tried that head on a Gitzo monopod but didn't keep it. I found that I couldn't get the tension just right to allow the lens to be mobile but not floppy. When I'm not using a gimbal, I now use a mid-size Markins ball head (don't recall the model number), because I really like their tension adjustment mechanism.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:51 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Acratech Long Lens Head for Nikon 200-500?

If you've already got a solid arca ball head, you could get a gimbal converter. I have a Jobu in my kit, but there's others out there. They aren't really meant for the super cannons, but they'll handle a 200-500 just fine.

Truth is I'd make room for the wimberley in my pack. It's not *that* heavy, and it gets the job done without question. I love mine.

I also have a Kirk King Cobra, but my 400 f/2.8 doesn't like being mounted on that one. It stresses the rotation a bit, makes it drag. Sidemounting a heavy lens, I am not too surprised :P

Jun 23, 2017 at 01:07 AM
psychoanalyst
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Acratech Long Lens Head for Nikon 200-500?

Photozack81 wrote:
If you've already got a solid arca ball head, you could get a gimbal converter. I have a Jobu in my kit, but there's others out there. They aren't really meant for the super cannons, but they'll handle a 200-500 just fine.

Truth is I'd make room for the wimberley in my pack. It's not *that* heavy, and it gets the job done without question. I love mine.

I also have a Kirk King Cobra, but my 400 f/2.8 doesn't like being mounted on that one. It stresses the rotation a bit, makes it drag. Sidemounting a heavy lens, I am
...Show more

Unfortunately I don't have a solid ball head.

Yeah....I am right now leaning towards taking my wimberley, especially since it translates into cost savings. But the Acratech may be a good all purpose head as well.

Jun 23, 2017 at 09:38 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.