New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

finnskeeper

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

I am getting my gear together for a trip to the Galapagos and mainland Ecuador and was wanting some suggestions on a good quality dry bag/waterproof backpack that will protect my gear without being too heavy (the gear is heavy enough For reference I am a 5'2" female so nothing too huge. Going back and forth to the islands on the pangas in the Galapagos and potential rain both places makes me want to make sure to get a bag that is totally waterproof. Ask me about how much it cost me on a recent canoe trip when we tipped and my 1DX and brand new 100-400 L lens were totally submerged in brackish water This time I am taking no chances! I would like to be able to carry two 1DX's and probably four L Lens (100-400, 70-200, 100 mm macro, and a fisheye). Any suggestions on what might work?

Jun 22, 2017 at 07:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

I have a small Seal Line Urban Backpack 17L (Sm) and a large-ish MEC Slogg Deluxe 70L backpack. They're both ruggedized, roll-top dry bags, with decent backpack strap systems. I use them mostly when I'll be transferring in and out of small boats, like in a recent trip I took to islands off the coast of Labrador, or a trip like you describe. I've owned 'real' WP backpacks (DryZone), with WP zippers, but they're a real pain to open and close, especially if you're "shooting from the bag", plus there's a lot more 'pack' than needed for the simple waterproof-backpack task. You'd need something bigger than the 17L size; about 25L to 30L should do it, for the cameras and some accessories. I'd use my 70L bag, and have room for some dry clothes, food, and survival/first aid stuff.

Jun 22, 2017 at 08:57 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

The MEC Slogg Deluxe 70L looks pretty nice compared to the Seal packs in terms of the suspension system. I could probably pack down fairly flat when empty.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:31 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

finnskeeper wrote:
Ask me about how much it cost me on a recent canoe trip when we tipped and my 1DX and brand new 100-400 L lens were totally submerged in brackish water

I think you are conflating issues and will carry unnecessary weight and bulk if you insist on a totally water-proof backpack. For simple rain all you need is a standard backpack rain cover and/or a simple trashbag as a liner. And you need those only if you plan on being in a downpour for hours. Pretty much any good hiking backpack will take pretty heavy rain well as long as you limit the exposure to an hour or so. If you insist on a very robust liner try one of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GF1DO4W

For protection in a canoe or when full immersion is a possibility you need a dedicated dry bag to slip on top of your camera bag, something along these lines
https://www.google.com/search?q=dry+bag+for+canoeing&oq=dry+bag+for+can

By modularizing the solution along these lines you can pick the backpack that serves your size, body type, strength, and capacity needs independent of water resistance.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:59 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

GroovyGeek wrote:
... For simple rain all you need is a standard backpack rain cover and/or a simple trashbag as a liner. And you need those only if you plan on being in a downpour for hours...

I was caught in a T-storm five/six years ago in southern Utah with a standard backpack rain cover (and no internal pack liner). It rained really hard for about 20 minutes. My backpack was thoroughly soaked, and my 5D camera inside it was seriously damaged.

Jun 23, 2017 at 05:52 AM
mpoole
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

To keep the weight and cost down, have you considered putting each item in a zip loc bag inside your existing back pack. That combined with a rain cover should be plenty of protection

Jun 23, 2017 at 06:02 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

jcolwell wrote:
I was caught in a T-storm five/six years ago in southern Utah with a standard backpack rain cover (and no internal pack liner). It rained really hard for about 20 minutes. My backpack was thoroughly soaked, and my 5D camera inside it was seriously damaged.

Since I'd assume most people would be finding cover in that kind of weather, and not using their cameras, a simple bin liner to stuff your backpack in would suffice ! Ditto if just for a crossing between islands.

Jun 23, 2017 at 07:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

Frogfish wrote:
Since I'd assume most people would be finding cover in that kind of weather, and not using their cameras, a simple bin liner to stuff your backpack in would suffice ! Ditto if just for a crossing between islands.

Really? I think you assume too much. We were at Calf Creek Falls. Seeking cover in a desert river/creek system during a major T-storm is not a good survival strategy.

My main point was that, in heavy rain, a 'standard' backpack rain cover alone is sometimes not adequate.

P.S. Where did, "and not using their cameras" come from? The camera was in a North Face Recon II backpack, which was covered by a 'standard' backpack rain cover. The water came in through the back of the bag, between me and the pack. If I wanted to use the camera (and I had planned for the unexpected conditions), it would have been in a TT Hydrophobia raincoat, and it would have been fine.

P.P.S. I now carry a small poncho and a "pack liner" dry bag in the bottom of my Recon II backpack, just in case I run into similar conditions, with similar gear. The poncho lets me hike out with a dry pack (if that's appropriate), or bag the bag, if I'm staying put.

Jun 23, 2017 at 08:07 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

jcolwell wrote:
Really? I think you assume too much. We were at Calf Creek Falls. Seeking cover in a desert river/creek system during a major T-storm is not a good survival strategy.

My main point was that, in heavy rain, a 'standard' backpack rain cover alone is sometimes not adequate.

P.S. Where did, come from? The camera was in a North Face Recon II backpack, which was covered by a 'standard' backpack rain cover. The water came in through the back of the bag, between me and the pack. If I wanted to use the camera (and I had planned for the unexpected conditions),
...Show more
You've taken my reply to your post too personally. I said 'most' not you in your specific situation, which would be an exceptional one (ditto camera use). 'Most' people when hiking, canoeing or traveling between islands on a boat, would be adequately covered by a bin liner and finding cover - not an elegant solution I give you, but adequate .. and light !

I agree water will get into virtually any backpack in a sustained downpour.

Jun 23, 2017 at 08:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

Frogfish wrote:
...You've taken my reply to your post too personally. I said 'most' not you in your specific situation, which would be an exceptional one (ditto camera use).

Sorry.

Jun 23, 2017 at 09:47 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

jcolwell wrote:
Sorry.

Not required Jim ! I should have made my reply clearer

Jun 23, 2017 at 09:56 AM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

I have a LowePro DryZone backpack that I took to the Grand Canyon on a river trip a few years ago. It may be heavier than what you want, but they have another bag (BP 40L) that's lighter. (I'm a <5'4" female 112# & took it on a 6 hour hike to the rim & back down). Like jcolwell said, the zippers are a bear if you're shooting from the pack (definitely a redundant system, but also pretty bombproof) but they do get easier with use. I also had a Pelican case that was secured to the boat that I would transfer my 1Dx w/a couple of lenses in. For shooting on the boat, I had a P&S Nikon that I kept around my neck (disadvantage being that I couldn't change lenses). Kept the longer lens (something up to 300mm) for jumping out & running down the shore to shoot the boats going through the rapids in the DryZone & put the P&S in there, tripod on the back You could just get a roll-top WP dry sack for your regular pack (some have straps) or smaller ones for each piece of gear inside your pack. If you have a modular unit for your gear inside your pack, you could just get 1 dry sack for that. Of course, it would be a major hassle to shoot from the boat that way.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

I'm a fan of using several dry sacks to secure your gear (one with the body and primary lens, one or two for the rest of the gear) and then loading those into an easy to access pack. This is what I do for multi-day whitewater rafting trips. I've been dumped and the camera gear came through perfectly. The pack has been dropped in the river, and no issues either.

Peace,

Todd

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:29 AM
finnskeeper

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I think I am going to try for a dry sack which has straps for use as a back pack. I will also wrap everything in the drysack in ziplocks for extra protection. My current photo backpack is a Lowepro and it is rather heavy even empty. I find as I am getting older (I will be 50 by the time of the trip) that I can't carry as much weight. Ten years ago it wouldn't have been an issue, but now it is starting to be. The area of the Amazon basin where I'm going is said to have really torrential downpours so I want to make sure I am covered for that eventuality. I do have a TT Hydrophobia raincoat already which is great. I would look more at the Dryzone bags but they won't hold as much gear as I would like and if they are like my current Lowepro the initial weight is already a factor. I am willing to sacrifice a bit on protection since the Canon Lens and bodies are so tough in order to save weight.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:27 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

I'd consider a Pelican Lite case carried in a simple pack with good support system. You can completely submirge a Pelican for hours and it will stay dry inside. And the new Lite cases are really much lighter. You might also find a cargo type backpack frame and just strap the Pelican to it. I had one many years ago that was a frame that had a small folding shelf near the bottom for holding cases, outboard motors, etc. The frame itself was very light and strong.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:41 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

Stansport Delux Freighter Aluminum Pack Frame on Walmart site is what I'm talking about. Although I would do more research and probably get a better one.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:51 PM
finnskeeper

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

My concern with a pelican case is weight and the fact I don't want to check my photo gear (I am afraid of theft). During my trip I have to take several very small planes that allow only a small carry on and 40 lbs of luggage total. What with my gear and the fact I do need to change clothes occasionally that is going to be really tight. The whole trip is going to be a packing challenge. That is actually a concern with the Lowepro Dryzone - I don't think it is small enough to carry on a small plane. The Lowepro I have currently won't fit in the small overhead bins or under the seat on a lot of flights even in the US (I live in Pensacola, FL and often have to take small planes to connections - several times on commercial flights with only one row of seats on each side and tiny overhead). I imagine the flights in Ecuador are going to be the same or tighter...

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:42 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

I get it. But If you are talking about the possibility of your bag/case going into the water then you need to think beyond a backpack that is "waterproof". The smallest Pelican Air is just 4.5 pounds and you could always use your clothes as the padding. I was talking to a video guy one day who mentioned being on a boat that flipped over-all the very expensive video gear was in Pelicans and were just fine after being underwater for a while. And pack frames are also very light.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:03 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

Except for being dunked I think a military chem warfare bag inside your favorite backpack would work then so would any rolltop dry bag from any quality source and they would even pass the dunk tank.

Jun 26, 2017 at 06:57 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best Dry Bag for hiking

jcolwell wrote:
The camera was in a North Face Recon II backpack, which was covered by a 'standard' backpack rain cover. The water came in through the back of the bag, between me and the pack.

Yes, that would likely be the weak point. Most true hiking backpacks have rubberized/water resistant fronts, and some of the higher end ones also have water-resistant backs to deal with this. The Recon II seems to be more oriented towards casual use, with all the blurbs about carrying a laptop, ipad, or soccer ball in the official description. I suspect that other backpacs would have faired better. For example, my Targhee has a compartment for a hydration sleeve along the back wall that is water proof. The rear panel of my F-stop Loka is more or less a fabric coated piece of plastic that would resist moisture very well. I have hiked with an Arcteryx Altra 85 and a small tent. There was no room to put the pack in a vestibule one night so I left it out in the rain straps down all night and the interior was mostly dry in the morning. It was not a downpour, but it was a long time to be out in the rain.A typical leak that gets the interior slightly damp would not be enough to damage most mid-range and above cameras. The pack would need to be soaked and dripping wet on the inside.

Jun 29, 2017 at 02:10 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.