New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

injail
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

Hello Friends,

I'm planning to visit my cousin in Charlotte N.C this fall season and I won't forget to come Great Smoky Mountain.

Could you please give me the information in National park? especially in Fall Season.
I really appreciate.

thanks

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:12 PM
CreationBear

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

The GSMNP is the most visited in the park system and Fall is the busiest season, so you'll have plenty of company! Campsites--both in the backcountry and "front" country--fill up fast, as do accommodations in surrounding towns like Cherokee and Gatlinburg, so hopefully you can firm up your plans and get a reservation that suits you.

Otherwise, the Park has a pretty wide selection of attractions--some geared toward the average tourist who's just driving through, while some parts of the backcountry demand a modicum of fitness/experience to enjoy safely. Assuming you're a photographer I'm sure there are any number of us on the forum who could give you more input if you let us know your interests.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:41 AM
injail
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

Thanks CreationBear for your info. I'm photographer :}. I would like to know any location to capture a good one in fall season.
thanks again

Jun 23, 2017 at 03:50 AM
CreationBear

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

I'll make a few suggestions, then:

1.) If you're interested in the history and culture of the region, many of the visitor's centers such as Cades Cove and Oconaluftee will have exhibits and demonstrations that time of year. Also, the Museum of the Cherokee in Cherokee, North Carolina and the Great Smoky Mountain Heritage Center in Townsend, Tennessee will give you some insights into this part of the world.

2.) If you're drawn to high-country vistas, Newfound Gap Road (US Highway 441) and Clingman's Dome Road offer numerous pull-offs to set up. (If hiking, the Appalachian Trail to "Charlie's Bunion," Alum Cave Trail, and Forney Ridge Trail to Andrews Bald are all classic hikes.)

3.) If you like mountain streams, then Little River Road and Tremont Road also have numerous places to park and explore; alternately, you could also visit one of the larger campgrounds--Elkmont, Smokemont, and Deep Creek come to mind--and walk up the streamside trails for as long as you like.

At any rate, these suggestions might make good starting points as you refine your plans--let me know if you have any specific places in mind.

Edited on Jun 23, 2017 at 03:24 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2017 at 02:23 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

Good advice from CreationBear. However, if GSMNP is too crowded for you, consider an alternative: Tellico Plains and the Tellico River. The drive along the river in fall is outstanding, with great color and waterfalls. Also, the Cherohala Skyway is great. You can't beat GSMNP, but this comes close.

See the photos at http://www.pbase.com/sparker1/cherokee_nf

Jun 23, 2017 at 03:08 PM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

+1 for the Tellico River. Love that place. If you like waterfalls, Bald River Falls is nice. There are also a number of nice falls in the park. Some are an easy walk, some a tough hike, and everything in between. You may also want to check out Tail of the Dragon for a fall drive that's amazing.

Jun 26, 2017 at 02:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

injail
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

when will it be the best time in fall color? (peak time}
thanks

Jun 26, 2017 at 02:42 PM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

The peak time will vary within a couple weeks, but I would say somewhere between October 15th and November 1st.

Jun 26, 2017 at 05:26 PM
injail
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

thanks DougVaughn

Jun 26, 2017 at 06:27 PM
injail
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

Finally, I make decision to go last week of October. Hopefully it will be good time for us 😊

Jul 14, 2017 at 01:11 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Great Smoky Mountain in Fall Season

Should be just fine. Be aware that the NC and Tenn sides often peak at different times, sometimes more than a week apart. So there will certainly be plenty of opportunities. Usually by the last week of Oct. the highest elevations are done. But it is really the mid and lower elevations that have the best color anyway.

Jul 14, 2017 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password