New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D750 Focus Tracking Issues

dougfatheruk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 Focus Tracking Issues

Hi guys,

I've been using a pair of D750s for well over a year now and overall extremely happy with them.

However, on the few occasions I shoot moving sports subjects I'm finding the D750s to miss an uncomfortable amount of frames, commonly the misses get worse as the subjects start to fill the frame where it feels like AF all but gives up.

Prior to the D750 I was a D3 shooter and when I go back through my old images it's quite evident that the keeper rate with moving subjects was way higher and the subject filling, or being close to filling the frame made no difference.

Another issue I'm noticing is with wedding confetti shots, the behaviour again is similar. As the couple get closer to me the keeper rate falls off a cliff. It's not like the D750 is grabbing the confetti, it juts outright misses and the focus usually goes behind.

Taking the images in to NX-D so I can see where the focus points sits is interesting. NX-D only shows the focus point where it was able to grab focus and the amount of images with an acknowledged focus point is greatly reduced on the D750.

Single point and low light AF are perfect and an improvement on the D3, continuos however is really feeling like a step back.

Does anybody else have any similar experiences?

AF-C > Dynamic 9-Point > Release Priority

Cheers
Doug

Jun 21, 2017 at 05:42 PM
Teak

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 Focus Tracking Issues

AF-C > Dynamic 9-Point > Release Priority might be the problem.

Try AF-C > Dynamic 9-Point > Focus Priority and your keeper rate should go up.

Release priority is just that, the camera will fire whether it is in focus or not.

HTH

Jun 21, 2017 at 06:27 PM
dougfatheruk
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 Focus Tracking Issues

Thanks for the response.

I might go back to trying AF-C and Single Point.

In my experience Focus Priority has a tendency to lock up the camera and can cause more harm than good but I'll give it a go.

Cheers

Jun 21, 2017 at 08:03 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 Focus Tracking Issues

I have better luck with either single or group AF. The dynamic modes never seem to get the job done for me. Not saying they're broken or don't work (like on the D500) but it just doesn't suit me. Might give those a try.

Jun 21, 2017 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.