New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Best Mesh Router?

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Mesh Router?

My Time Capsule just doesn't reach my entire house, looking at mesh routers, do you have a fav?

Jun 21, 2017 at 01:21 PM
theroadtaken
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Mesh Router?

I have been quite happy with Eero. I have the 1st generation version with 3 bases and it covers my 2500 sqft house and half acre yard well. The setup is easy and the app is pretty good. They just released the second generation which is suppose to improve performance even more.

Jun 21, 2017 at 01:45 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Mesh Router?

Google Wifi works well if you are set on a mesh system. Most major brands offer extenders as well.

How big is your house though? Myself and several colleagues use the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk and it will cover 3000+ sq ft of living space across all 3 floors and max out a 180 Mbps connection anywhere you test it, and only a slight drop in speed on the deck and garage. You may just need a better router, and could likely get away with a single unit - the Apple routers are nothing special. Mine's in the basement, and I get max speeds on the upstairs 3rd floor, and my brother is using one in his upstairs bedroom, and it can max out that same connection in his basement in a much larger house.

Jun 21, 2017 at 02:15 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Mesh Router?

You can use an Airport Express unit as a repeater/extender

Jun 22, 2017 at 06:57 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Mesh Router?

howardm4 wrote:
You can use an Airport Express unit as a repeater/extender

That's what I do ... the Airport Express not only is a nifty little router in it's own right, it also has an audio output jack that can serve as a remote speaker for your listening pleasure for your iTunes library.

Often you can find these on the Apple refurb section of their site at a significant cost savings.

Jun 22, 2017 at 07:40 AM
chriscove1
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Mesh Router?

Netgear Orbi by far. I had Apple Airport Extreme and 3 Airport express's in my 3000 sq ft house with many dead spots. I got the Orbi with 2 satellites at Costco for $425 and now everywhere is 100 mbs/sec. It's the best thing I have done!!

Jun 22, 2017 at 08:02 AM
adamx12m
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Mesh Router?

Big fan of Ubiquiti access points, they just work. Using 2 ac-pro's in a 2 story house, one in basement and 2nd story. Getting good coverage in AC mode can be a challenge in a bigger home or multi-story.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:04 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best Mesh Router?

Another vote for Netgear Orbi. Independent reviews tended to favor it. Tried some older "repeaters" with poor results. Now have equal coverage throughout my 3 story, 4000 sqft house.

Main Orbi router located on lower level (home office), only 1 satellite located center of middle floor, great signal in 3rd floor bedroom that is farthest distance. I had no need to buy a 2nd satellite.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:58 AM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best Mesh Router?

chriscove1 wrote:
Netgear Orbi by far. I had Apple Airport Extreme and 3 Airport express's in my 3000 sq ft house with many dead spots. I got the Orbi with 2 satellites at Costco for $425 and now everywhere is 100 mbs/sec. It's the best thing I have done!!

I live in an adobe house and apparently radio waves don't go through dirt very well. I've tried several brands of repeaters with poor results. I finally decided to try the Netgear Orbi. Wow! What a difference. It's the fastest router I've ever had and it is seamless. I wish I had purchased it sooner.

Jun 23, 2017 at 06:13 PM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best Mesh Router?

Another happy Orbi owner here, most mesh systems don't have dedicated backhaul to mimic wired performance, but Orbi does: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33023-don-t-get-caught-in-the-wireless-mesh

Some people don't need this; if you just need basic wifi connectivity, most mesh systems will deliver. But if you need Ethernet for a NAS or workstation and can't wire directly to your router, Orbi is the best solution.

Jun 23, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best Mesh Router?

I'm waiting on Apple home to see exactly what it will do besides Siri.

Jun 24, 2017 at 09:15 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best Mesh Router?

I tried both Orbi and the Linksys Velop offering. But later settled down on Google WiFi and love it.

Jun 28, 2017 at 03:44 PM
BrandonSi
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best Mesh Router?

adamx12m wrote:
Big fan of Ubiquiti access points, they just work. Using 2 ac-pro's in a 2 story house, one in basement and 2nd story. Getting good coverage in AC mode can be a challenge in a bigger home or multi-story.

I use Ubiquiti as well. I have AC pros and an AC lite covering 3 floors (including basement) and out to the garage. It's probably not for those with limited computer / networking knowledge but it is enterprise level equipment and is rock solid.

Jul 01, 2017 at 08:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.