1       2       3              7      
       end

6DmkII

InSanE
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · 6DmkII

joosay wrote:
What about videographers do who use bodies that only record to one card?

we use 3 video cameras
all record to 2xsd or sd+internal

Jun 29, 2017 at 07:57 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · 6DmkII

After seeing the AF cluster in the 6DmkII, I'd just like to note that I've lost 3 photos due to a bad SD card, but I've lost hundreds (probably thousands) due to poorly placed or slow AF points. So perhaps by shooting less than a 1DX/D5/A9 we're all being irresponsible for neglecting the REAL photo killer

Again, not saying dual card slots aren't good - they're definitely something that I would prefer to have in every camera, and they're great insurance. Just noting the reality vs the theoretical of what I've experienced.

Jun 30, 2017 at 03:55 AM
sold5

p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · 6DmkII

The AF point spread is pretty bad alright. I had considered this for live view shooting - my 5D4 is great in live view but really awkward with its fixed screen - but this camera seems pretty much a focus and recompose camera for anything other than central compositions. I think if I bought it and used it at a wedding I would want to throw it at a wall before long.

Jun 30, 2017 at 09:00 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · 6DmkII

joosay wrote:
What about videographers do who use bodies that only record to one card?

I shoot video with a £37,000 camera/lens combo, (PMW-500 with broadcast lens)

Amazingly this camera only allows 1 card recording, (thanks a lot Mr Sony...)

When I started with the camera, a 32 GB card was £700+ and I still had a card failure after about a year's light use. Just a few files - but they were the important ones. I didn't get paid and the whole shoot was binned with a national broadcaster. (Last time I worked for them... oops...)

The next day I was out spending £1000 on a nanoFlash backup system to mirror all the data when I hit record. Of course, since then I never had a data failure.

Now I have no concept of not recording dual everything. If the kit I like doesn't have the option, then I don't like the kit. If I can't dump the data, check it and re-shoot there and then, well I'll have redundancy built in.

Even when I shoot tethered to Capture One, (which doesn't allow me to record to the camera card - I mean... come on Capture One...!) then I use additional software to mirror data going to my hard drive so I have simultaneous backup on a second solid state, removable drive.

And when I copy data, import images, then I use data verification software like ShotputPro to ensure not only have I sent the data but it has actually arrived and recorded safely.

Data is our weak point. It's more flimsy than we like to think and often we don't know it's not recorded until after the shoot. (I liked the old tape-based days of video when my camera would alert me to an issue at the time of recording).

Nowadays it's like our gear is saying "there's a problem - but I'm not telling you until you get home..." So in that respect, I'm not trusting my gear until it becomes more friendly.

Jun 30, 2017 at 09:05 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · 6DmkII

> but I've lost hundreds (probably thousands) due to poorly placed or slow AF points

This.

I joked for years all they needed was a full-frame 70D (then 80D when it came out) but I didn't think they'd neglect to spread out the AF points for the larger capture area. Sheesh.

Jun 30, 2017 at 02:04 PM
level1photog
• •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · 6DmkII

LeeSimms wrote:
> but I've lost hundreds (probably thousands) due to poorly placed or slow AF points

This.

I joked for years all they needed was a full-frame 70D (then 80D when it came out) but I didn't think they'd neglect to spread out the AF points for the larger capture area. Sheesh.

Canon really piss me off because they purposely concentrate all the AF points in the middle to handicap the 6D II AF. They can create 2 models for Canon 6D II with dual SD and charge more, but it will still take away from their 5D Mark IV sale. They are trickling features to their cameras (5D IV & 6D II) because if they make it too good, none of us will upgrade to a newer model.

Whether you guys mirrorless or not, I wish Canon would make a robust camera with EVF, eye focus, IBIS.

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:26 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · 6DmkII

As an amateur photographer you can do what you like of course. As a pro I think you have a reasonable duty of care and that includes dual card slots for redundancy.

This is a well known issue in IT and if it wasn't a problem, dual card slots wouldn't exist. Nor would raid systems.

The premis isn't whether it has happened but when it will happen. You might experience it once every 200 years of shooting. If you're unlucky this week it might be your turn. Or you may never experience it.

It's more than data corruption - it's also other issues like losing cards, bent pins, and so on. These are more prevalent than corruption itself IMO. I've nearly experienced loss of a card in a dark car park - I was lucky and spotted it. My friend too. Others I know have not copied photos off before going and doing another shoot the next day.

Taking such a cavalier attitude to customers images is odd to me. I'm surprised.

To be honest I think canon really messed up here.

Jul 09, 2017 at 09:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ZachOly
• • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · 6DmkII

6DII is $2000. Refurb 5D4s are going for $2800 directly from Canon

If you're charging for weddings, it's a no-brainer. The 6DII is dead on arrival.

Jul 09, 2017 at 11:57 AM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · 6DmkII

Final nail in the 6DII coffin - DR is the same as the 6D and worse than the 80D

Jul 19, 2017 at 02:33 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · 6DmkII

> DR is the same as the 6D and worse than the 80D

I refuse to believe this is true. Holding breath until noted reviewers get it.

Jul 19, 2017 at 03:25 PM
MAC
• • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · 6DmkII

LeeSimms wrote:

This.

shoot this puppy in Live View with Face Detection

Jul 20, 2017 at 02:30 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · 6DmkII

Ugh, I just read the DPReview DR report. Wow, what a fail. Move along — nothing to see here.

Jul 20, 2017 at 03:04 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · 6DmkII

I guess Ryan Brenizer won't be selling his a9 for one.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:48 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password