FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2017 · 6DmkII

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 6DmkII

Guys, it's been about a year and a half - I don't recall - since I first called Glort out... in a good way.

I said a few things suggesting we might want to pay attention to his observations because, well, he by nature presents an alternate point of view 90% of the time and 90% of that (81% of the time, for those who don't want to do the math) he provides some insight... some bit of wisdom worth thinking about.

Rounding down, that's 8 out of 10 times that he provides something useful. Not necessarily correct in an absolute sense, but for those with the discipline to look for it, a not-so-obvious perspective that originates from an uncommon method of thinking and analytics. < I'll get back to that in a moment.

When he and I became friendly - and I sought him out - and when I posted here on FM pointing him out as a voice to pay attention to, he was dumbfounded. It seemed very surprising to him that anyone would genuinely pay attention to his words. He was, in a word, humbled.

We exchanged a number of PM's, then eventually emails, and so on... and one thing specifically he asked of me was to point out to him if he was ever being overly abrasive.

But, I've never done that. Largely because trying to tame his nature or curtail his outspoken character is a pretty lame ambition. A fool's errand, as it were.

Glort is very, inextricably, Glort.

Now, in fairness, he has mellowed over the past year or so. But his nature (and value) remains that he almost always is the contrarian - and a shrewd one. And, it's not always about the matter at hand. He's seen a lot of nonsense over the years that frustrates him to no end and he's on the look out for it. Unceasingly so and which makes him a difficult read at times.

Whatever.

For my part, I've grown less impassioned about it. I assume those that get him will read his many words, process, toss out the not so useful and retain the incredibly useful.

In fact, the only reason I'm writing is to share that I've realized how I most recently use his thought processes. Returning to my comment above... "a not-so-obvious perspective that originates from a method of thinking and analytics"...

I've started processing some things through my Glort-Filter (patent pending) to not just learn what he has to say, but to understand and implement the method that drives what he has to say.

I've found that pretty effective and it's helped strip more than one issue of its facade and see it for what it really is.

*shrug*

A long ramble and partly to say that we might all respond differently if he began each post with "Just my take on things, but..."

And ended with "YMMV"

But, then he wouldn't be Glort.

*second shrug*

I use him for what he can teach me. I more or less circumvent the less useful. And I call him my friend along the way.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:39 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 6DmkII

level1photog wrote:
But it's okay, let's agree to disagree. Have a good day.

Thanks Mate. Same to you.
I appreciate your professionalism and maturity.

Jun 23, 2017 at 02:18 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 6DmkII

I'll wait and see real world examples of its high iso capabilities. If it is even better than the 6D I'll get one.

Jun 23, 2017 at 02:32 AM
eke2k6
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 6DmkII

nolaguy wrote:
Guys, it's been about a year and a half - I don't recall - since I first called Glort out... in a good way.

I said a few things suggesting we might want to pay attention to his observations because, well, he by nature presents an alternate point of view 90% of the time and 90% of that (81% of the time, for those who don't want to do the math) he provides some insight... some bit of wisdom worth thinking about.

Rounding down, that's 8 out of 10 times that he provides something useful. Not necessarily correct in an absolute sense,
...Show more

You've essentially just said that we should all excuse the ramblings because he's a professional contrarian.

I refuse. I've posted an example of how his words are both condescending and yet somehow nonsensical. His claim is that he has all these years working as a professional photographer, but his opinions belie that. Despite this, I have no issue with alternate opinions. I take issue with the abrasive, condescending, often ornery tone that arises from someone who apparently loves to hear (or see) themselves talk. Then when called out for his opinion, he'll play as if it's his opinion that's being disparaged.

But that may just be me. Maybe I need a glort desensitization. YMMV

Jun 23, 2017 at 07:35 AM
joosay
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 6DmkII

Lots of ego here. Seems like a lot of threads goes OT with some a&b arguing over being offensive.

Jun 23, 2017 at 09:22 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 6DmkII

I'm really anxious to try one. Always liked the 6D except for that stupid (cyclops) AF.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:10 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 6DmkII

Yeah, but any time he posts in a thread you are the one attacking him. So look very carefully at yourself and not others, for we can only control our actions.

I have said it before, the D700 was a wedding staple for Nikon for years with one card slot. The chances of corrupting a card are more in track with user error than card error. The 6dII looks great on paper with all the rumored specs. 4K is truly over rated and not needed for weddings.
Can't wait to see what Nikon comes up with, seeing the current releases from Canon and Sony.
-Greg
eke2k6 wrote:
You've essentially just said that we should all excuse the ramblings because he's a professional contrarian.

I refuse. I've posted an example of how his words are both condescending and yet somehow nonsensical. His claim is that he has all these years working as a professional photographer, but his opinions belie that. Despite this, I have no issue with alternate opinions. I take issue with the abrasive, condescending, often ornery tone that arises from someone who apparently loves to hear (or see) themselves talk. Then when called out for his opinion, he'll play as if it's his opinion that's being
...Show more

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:34 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 6DmkII

glort wrote:
How many of you have PERSONALLY had a card failure in the last 3 or even 5 years?
not heard or read of one, HAD one yourself?

Yes, I have and they were not no-name brands. 1-Sandisk, 1-Lexar and 1-Sony. 2-CF cards 1- SD card. Fortunately two of the failures were when I was shooting with two card bodies. The other was more than five years ago on the Lexar card.

In this day and age there are so many body choices that offer the option of having a two card system. So why would a real professional put his clients in a position to be at risk for a card failure on such an important day in their lives? To me that is just irresponsible and dare I say it, unprofessional.

If you ever had a card failure on a wedding day wherein you lost a significant portion of the clients wedding because you were shooting with a single card body, how do you go about explaining that to your clients?

How many of those who have had this happen are still cocky enough to come back to tell their story on a wedding board like this?

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:34 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 6DmkII

Again I'll argue, no less professional than shooting film.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 6DmkII

LeeSimms wrote:
Again I'll argue, no less professional than shooting film.

I wil argue against you. In the days of film there were no dual roll cameras. If there were I'm sure many would have taken advantage of them. Shooting film was a risk because of the potential disasters of lab processing. There was no choice other than sending film to two different labs to try to minimize processing errors. Shooting commercially in situations where reshoots would have been impossible or extremely expensive to achieve I would hold back some film, rolls or sheets, so that there were two different runs just to protect against processing disasters. In the days of shooting film there were no real options.

With digital there are tons of options in 2017 that provide protection. To not take advantage of that when shooting weddings and putting your clients at risk is in my opinion unprofessional. There is no professional reason for doing so. What professional reason is there for not shooting with dual slot bodies?

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:56 AM
eke2k6
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 6DmkII

MRomine wrote:
t take advantage of that when shooting weddings and putting your clients at risk is in my opinion unprofessional. There is no professional reason for doing so. What professional reason is there for not shooting with dual slot bodies?

It's almost downright negligent

Jun 23, 2017 at 06:19 PM
Mikehit
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 6DmkII

Negligent? No. Its all about assessing risk and no two professionals assess risk the same way.For a professional, do you put cashflow at risk by buying a more expensive body simply for 2 card slots? When turning professional do you buy into a new and unfamiliar system (or one whose ergonomics you are uncomfortable with) simply to have 2 card slots at the same price point? I would say both of those are a greater risk and more likely to lead to missed shots.

As a professional you should have the best possible chance of getting the highest quality raw data to give you more options to crop/allow for errors etc. So why do not all professionals shoot medium format? Because they assess the risks.

It is patronising and ignorant to make a sweeping statement like 'negligent' or 'unprofessional'

Jun 24, 2017 at 06:30 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · 6DmkII

Mikehit wrote:
Negligent? No. Its all about assessing risk and no two professionals assess risk the same way.For a professional, do you put cashflow at risk by buying a more expensive body simply for 2 card slots? When turning professional do you buy into a new and unfamiliar system (or one whose ergonomics you are uncomfortable with) simply to have 2 card slots at the same price point? I would say both of those are a greater risk and more likely to lead to missed shots.

As a professional you should have the best possible chance of getting the highest quality raw data
...Show more

I don't necessarily agree in an absolute sense with everything Mike says but this is a worthwhile point. It's about context and the overall picture. It's really easy to find a hot topic that seems to be mission critical when in the scheme of things, it's just one more bit of information to take into account in the business decision making (and prioritization) processes.

Nice post, Mike.

Jun 24, 2017 at 06:57 AM
MAC
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · 6DmkII

LeeSimms wrote:
I'm 600+ weddings in and I've only had one memory card issue. In 2005 and they were no-name cards. Lost 8 images I couldn't account for.

I'm more worried about getting into a car accident on the way to the wedding. Statistically, it's a bigger risk.

true - card issue remote, car issue more concern

answers:

- sandisk cards - at end remove to avoid camera holdup theft
- shoot multiple cameras all day long - in my case 3
- never drive with assistant

Edited on Jun 24, 2017 at 07:31 AM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2017 at 07:07 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · 6DmkII

Mikehit wrote:
It is patronising and ignorant to make a sweeping statement like 'negligent' or 'unprofessional'

Among other things.

Well said!

Jun 24, 2017 at 07:12 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · 6DmkII

MRomine wrote:
With digital there are tons of options in 2017 that provide protection. To not take advantage of that when shooting weddings and putting your clients at risk is in my opinion unprofessional. There is no professional reason for doing so. What professional reason is there for not shooting with dual slot bodies?

eke2k6 wrote:
It's almost downright negligent

So if I shoot with a Phase One XF system I'm being negligent and unprofessional?

Jun 24, 2017 at 09:02 AM
mb126
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · 6DmkII

I will continue to cross my fingers that those of you shooting single cards do not experience misfortune.

Even if in practice I NEVER needed the second slot, the psychological benefit (to me) of the instant backup is large. YMMV I suppose.

Jun 24, 2017 at 09:31 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · 6DmkII

> In the days of film there were no dual roll cameras. If there were I'm sure many would have taken advantage of them.

Mark, of course you're aware film is not a dead wedding format. Jose Villa, Jonathan Canlas, Enrich McVey (and more than my small brain could ever remember - including a few in my own market) in 2017 all shooting film at high dollar weddings with no instant back-up. Most film shooters don't own a Fuji Frontier. They have to put the sole copy of the shoot in a box and put it in a motor vehicle traveling cross country to a lab in other state hoping the processing tech has all the variables set correctly. Talk about risk.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:02 AM
tgillespie
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · 6DmkII

LeeSimms wrote:
> In the days of film there were no dual roll cameras. If there were I'm sure many would have taken advantage of them.

Mark, of course you're aware film is not a dead wedding format. Jose Villa, Jonathan Canlas, Enrich McVey (and more than my small brain could ever remember - including a few in my own market) in 2017 all shooting film at high dollar weddings with no instant back-up. Most film shooters don't own a Fuji Frontier. They have to put the sole copy of the shoot in a box and put it in a motor vehicle traveling
...Show more

But the clients of those said shooters are most likely aware of the risk. The nostalgia of film brings with it risks that some people are willing to take, and might even desire.

Its a different game with digital. If your hard drive crashes, people scream bloody murder until someone restores their data. The expectation of data retention is much higher, if not absolute.

Backing up a digital file requires minimal time and money, so the expectation is there.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · 6DmkII

tgillespie wrote:
But the clients of those said shooters are most likely aware of the risk.

I would highly doubt that.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:48 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.