Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6DmkII

> 5 axis electronic image stabilization

Jun 21, 2017 at 01:37 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6DmkII

For video. You'd need two, just for memory card redundancy... and no thumb selector is a pity. I'm happy with the 5d4's and will see if a new high mpix 5dsr (or who knows; Sony?) for next year can be on the wish list.

Jun 21, 2017 at 01:41 PM
Michael Beard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6DmkII

We only have a single 5D4 at this point... if this ends up having dual card slots I may be able to save a bit of money when it's time to upgrade our 5D3's!

Jun 21, 2017 at 02:28 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6DmkII

They are really limiting themselves if it just has the 1-slot. It is an intentional marketing choice to get people to go 5D4

Jun 21, 2017 at 02:51 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6DmkII

A single SD card is the deal breaker here. Sigh.

The ISO up to 40,000 is interesting. Makes me wonder if this may actually outperform 1DX/5D4 when normalized.

Jun 21, 2017 at 04:18 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6DmkII

Michael Beard wrote:
We only have a single 5D4 at this point... if this ends up having dual card slots I may be able to save a bit of money when it's time to upgrade our 5D3's!

Single card slot, the leaked image shows the same small card cover as the old one.

Jun 21, 2017 at 04:24 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6DmkII

I have to upset people and say I really think too much is being made of the single slot paranoia which is what it has become. Sounds like another of these internet mentalities people adopt which when put in perspective of reality, doesn't near add up.

How many of you have PERSONALLY had a card failure in the last 3 or even 5 years?
not heard or read of one, HAD one yourself?
I used my 7D for 4-5 years and never lost a pic to a card failure. Never lost any on my little 600 either nor my P&S cams I use a lot.
Lost a few due to my own stupidity but nothing having 2 Slots would have fixed.
This isn't like 20 years ago when Digital was new and things did fail regularly. The technology and reliability is far greater than what it was then and the failure rates are tiny.

The single card thing can be blown out of proportion with all sorts of theoretical and " What if ?" unlikely reasoning but I tend to look at the real world situation. Loosing pics has never been a problem for me. The chances of a card failure are statistically the same as winning the lottery if you look at the manufactures testing and failure rates.

People can go on with, what is complete crap, about a million to 1 risk being too high etc but that is just rubbish because there are so many other things not even thought about that pose a far higher risk to pics being lost, not the least being a camera failure which means pics are never written in the first place or are corrupted no matter how many cards they go to.

We can point to the easy target and get all pedantic and make mountains out of mole hills or we can be realistic and honest about things.
If you genuinely think that having one card slot is such a terrible thing, do what ever you have to in order to sleep at night. I'd suggest that you also consider all the other risks involved as well and counter them too. Probably going to need to have someone follow you in a spare Vehicle in case yours breaks down or is involved in an accident and you don't get to where you need to be in time and miss pictures.
That to me would be a hell of a lot higher up the risk factor scale than a modern card and camera corrupting. Had a couple of breakdowns/ flat tyres between venues doing weddings. Bet some of you have cars that don't even have a spare tyre as so many don't now and I'll also bet there are a few out there that probably couldn't change one if they did.

Given I can't even remember the last time I had a card fail and I perceive so many other and greater risks than that happening, single slot won't deter me from buying a camera I like any more than being full frame would be some kind of asset.

I bought a 6 before Christmas to see what the big FF deal was and still trying to work it out. Should have just bought another 7 as it does everything I want and is a more practical camera for me than the 6 which I have hardly bothered with. Maybe I'll find it's magical properties when I get back to shooting glam again?
A 5 would be less useful for what I do than any of them.

Wonder how long away the 7III is?

Jun 21, 2017 at 05:32 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6DmkII

I predicted Canon would limit 6D II to prevent cannibalizing their 5D IV. If this thing have dual SD card, it would a very nice primary camera for weddings. Having one SD card would make it for me a second camera only. I'm glad I didn't wait for 6D II and bought the 5D IV earlier this year for the wedding season.

Jun 21, 2017 at 05:40 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6DmkII

Although I never had a SD card problem with DSLR, I do have problem with SD card becoming malfunction on my phone. I've seen alot of post on social media that people have corrupted image files, accidentally erase the file, etc.

If certain things are preventable such as having dual SD card, different lens covering similar range, back up pant/shirt, leaving early to venue due to potential traffic/accident, liability insurance (I only got asked once), etc, I will do it. The ~$1000 difference between 5D IV and 6D II is a small price for insurance especially if you priced yourself right as a wedding photographer. It's even cheaper buying grey market price. I'd rather fork out the money than explain to my couples that their wedding images is lost because of my belief that SD card are so reliable.

I also never had a camera died on me, but I still carried a back up camera.

glort wrote:
I have to upset people and say I really think too much is being made of the single slot paranoia which is what it has become. Sounds like another of these internet mentalities people adopt which when put in perspective of reality, doesn't near add up.

How many of you have PERSONALLY had a card failure in the last 3 or even 5 years?
I used my 7D for 4-5 years and never lost a pic to a card failure. Never lost any on my little 600 either nor my P&S cams
...Show more

Edited on Jun 21, 2017 at 06:14 PM · View previous versions

Jun 21, 2017 at 05:56 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6DmkII

No dual SD
No 4k
More expensive than a D750

I'm passing and waiting on a A7III, and I say that as a 5D4 owner.

Jun 21, 2017 at 06:00 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6DmkII

glort wrote:

I used my 7D for 4-5 years and never lost a pic to a card failure. Never lost any on my little 600 either nor my P&S cams
...Show more

1. Yes, I have had 2SD card failures in the last 4 years.
2. No, they were not a problem because I had CF backups.

It's an insurance policy. Even if you haven't had a car accident in the last 5 years, you pay for car insurance don't you?

Jun 21, 2017 at 06:11 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6DmkII

6D never had dual cards and had embarrassingly bad AF, yet they sold a ton — even to wedding photographers.

I don't understand the no-4k thing, but we've moved onto mirrorless for video so it's moot.

Jun 21, 2017 at 06:56 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6DmkII

I'm 600+ weddings in and I've only had one memory card issue. In 2005 and they were no-name cards. Lost 8 images I couldn't account for.

I'm more worried about getting into a car accident on the way to the wedding. Statistically, it's a bigger risk.

Jun 21, 2017 at 07:13 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6DmkII

level1photog wrote:
I've seen alot of post on social media that people have corrupted image files, accidentally erase the file, etc.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.
The hype on the net does not match the real world experience but people still get all pedantic over things they cannot even confirm.

I have read a lot of different things on the net as well but until they happen to me regularly, they are not a problem that I'm affected by so I concern my self with what is.
If others want to insure themselves from perceived problems, that's fine, just don't over exaggerate the risks and make them greater than what they are.

I'll have to see if I can find the testing failure rates of cards. I'll guarantee they don't back up fear people have of them failing.

Jun 21, 2017 at 08:50 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6DmkII

mb126 wrote:
It's an insurance policy. Even if you haven't had a car accident in the last 5 years, you pay for car insurance don't you?

Sure but do you have a spare car follow you to the wedding in case you have an accident and can't get there in time and subsequently miss pictures you should have got?

Taking a spare camera is an insurance policy as well and covers even more potential problems than just having a card fail.

Did you loose all the pictures on the card failures you had?

Jun 21, 2017 at 08:52 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6DmkII

glort wrote:

*raises hand

I will say...I do shoot with the A7R2 all the time, even with the one slot. I have never had a problem, but it definitely adds a level of stress that I don't enjoy. I am always being extra careful and am paranoid about messing something up with the card I use it in. It would make my life so much more peaceful just to know I have that safety net.

Jun 21, 2017 at 08:56 PM
Michael Beard
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 6DmkII

glort wrote:

It's more than just protection from a card failing for me- it's the fact that I have instant redundancy. At the end of the wedding I remove the CF cards from all cameras and put them in a memory card wallet that goes directly into my pocket. If I stop somewhere on the way home for a snack I always have physical copies of the entire wedding that stays on my person. If my car gets stolen or I get mugged I still have the images. Of course there would be a scenario where both copies are destroyed or stolen but my chances are much better (and this took basically no effort).

I typically keep the memory card wallet in a separate physical location until I've either updated my off-site hard drive or the wedding has had a chance to fully upload to my cloud backup (Crashplan Pro). Why is this a good idea? Recent example: We shot a wedding this past Saturday- on Monday a TORNADO ripped through my area, my house was right in the path. Besides some shingles that I need to replace, the damage was minimal- bunch of downed trees in the area... but it could have been MUCH worse. The peace of mind knowing that I have a copy of the images that took almost no additional effort to obtain is worth sticking with dual card slot cameras.

Maybe it's because I was an IT Administrator at my previous job, but redundancy is just a no-brainer for me.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:18 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 6DmkII

Its sad when someone leaves a wedding hungry.

With so many dual slot cameras in the market, buying this crippled Canon to shoot weddings can only be labeled as idiotic. Same as ignoring benefits of dual slots.

Jun 22, 2017 at 02:39 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 6DmkII

Michael Beard wrote:
If I stop somewhere on the way home for a snack I always have physical copies of the entire wedding that stays on my person. If my car gets stolen or I get mugged I still have the images. .

This sounds kind of ironic to me.

In effect, you are saying you feel more comfortable taking risks you don't need to take in the first place because you have 2 Copies of the pictures.

Regardless of the number of backup cards you have, I'd suggest the wiser course of action would be to go straight home.
Apart from your car getting stolen or you getting mugged, this greatly reduces the chances of you losing both copy's by them simply falling out your pocket. At very least, I'd be taking the cards and gear home, transferring one card to your computer and THEN going out to get something to eat. I never leave gear in my car unless the vehicle is in plain sight and even then I don't do it unless I absolutely need to.

To me the safest thing to do would be eliminate the risk completely by not stopping anywhere rather than taking said risk and hoping to reduce the chances of potential disaster it with a backup plan that is far from a guarantee of loosing all your images.

Jun 22, 2017 at 03:55 AM
       2       3              7       8       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.