Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

glort
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

To be honest, I have always thought facebook was bit of a wank. In many ways I still do.
Seems to turn a lot of normal people into obsessed mindless idiots with a completely alternative reality based on a world that does not exist. Too much importance placed on insignificant crap as well but not like I have anything against Fb.
Much.

Tonight though, I saw a very different side of it.
My little girl has gone OS and is in Paris right this Minute. I have been able to sit on my fat lazy arse here this evening and see the incredible day she has had, as she has had it.

My wife and I got a face chat/time? call some hours back and spoke to her as she stood on the Eiffel Tower and showed us the View. She sent pictures with my Cousin she met up with afterwards whom is there for the airshow atm and we could send messages as they were there. My cousin grew up on a dairy farm in Country Australia and travels the world now for her husbands work. I have a saying with her, " It's a long way from the farm Cuz" and now she's a long way from the farm my daughter has been to as well.

Just now I got a selfie from my little girl standing in front of the Mona Lisa. Another world famous thing we all hear about but I guess not everyone has actually seen.
Just incredible to be able to get pictures seconds after they are taken and to see and talk to someone about as far away on the other side of the world as they could get.
Maybe I'm warming to Mobile phones as well.

I guess for most people this stuff is pretty old hat but it's sure something new and incredible to me. Maybe I'm just too much of a Dinosaur and appreciate it more than those used to it and use it all the time?

I have never heard of this sort of tech being used like this for weddings strangely. I'm sure it has of course but what I am more aware of is people posting to SM during the ceremony and things like that which are kind of undermining of the event for selfish reasons rather than sharing it.
My Niece broadcast her wedding last year from OS which was a bit sketchy but still I guess the real impact of what we can do now didn't really set in till tonight.

I always wanted to go to the Eiffel tower being such a world famous landmark and so steeped in history. I never will go there now but I'm rather emotional my daughter has been able to be there. She has some things of her brothers with her so hopefully he is there too in some way.
On Friday she is going to a festival that was her brothers favourite thing to go to and he looked forward to the next one as soon as he left the one he was just at. He wanted to go to the overseas events of the same festival. I'll always remember a conversation we had about it and the way he told me " But Dad, you don't understand, it's Defqon!"

All this modern technology has a lot to answer for but it also has some real upsides IF used for good rather than stupidity.
It's been a fascinating day for my little girl and one I won't forget easily either. Being a nut case, I even wrote times and events down in my Diary to remember the exact time and where I was as well. Won't be here much longer before we go to a new home.

She is away for about another fortnight and visiting a few more countries than coming back to Paris, meeting up with my cousin again in Abu Dhabi where she lives, then home.

I was going to buy her a compact camera to take with her. The deal of us paying for her tickets was she took plenty of pictures on a CAMERA not her damn phone. She tells me she is enjoying using the camera so much she forgot about her phone so I had to do an about face and tell her to take some on the phone and post them up so we could see. It's been great to follow what she is doing as she is doing it.

I took her to the camera shop before she left and said pick whatever you want. She didn't like any of them although was more partial to a top of the line Canon P&S. I said nothing but she didn't like the mirrorless. Chip off the old block.
On the way home, much to my surprise, she said she would prefer to take the little 600D. I said wouldn't you like something smaller but she said that was the one she was most used to and liked so that's what she took with her.... along with 4 batteries and 2x 32G cards.
Now my little toy DSLR has been up to and taken pics on the Eiffel tower as well.

My Daughter was looking forward to going on this trip, I have been dreading it. I want her to have a good time but I will be stressing badly till she's safe and back home again.
I'll have to be careful I don't snap her in half when I get her back in my arms and I know I'll get in trouble to holding her too long but that won't make me let her go any quicker. She has only been gone a couple of days and my wife and I are missing her so much already. It's like we have to be brave to let her go in the first place.

At least I'll be able to see and share her adventure in a way I never even thought of but am enjoying in a very melancholy kind of way.

I guess facebook, iphones and technology have all gone up a notch or 2 in my esteem if only in a very limited kind of way. Luckily though, my views on using FB as a be all and end all marketing tool or looking at websites and watching movies on tiny little phone screens won't be affected in any shape or form!

:0)

Jun 21, 2017 at 04:20 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

Jun 21, 2017 at 05:03 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

Great, it's now official that my Dad (86 years young) is THE last person on earth to not get a smart phone or be on social media. You definitely highlight the positives of both. It's pretty amazing. With that said, I think my Dad is slowly warming to the idea of a smart phone. He still travels a lot and has to bring his tablet or laptop, and then access wifi, to do the things people with smart phones don't give a second thought to (news updates, surfing the web, not to mention always having a camera in your pocket as well as a GPS)...wifi or no wifi.

Jun 21, 2017 at 07:24 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

Get him the biggest smart phone you can find. He probably has the tablet and laptop so he can see the damn things. Sorry but My father still has an old phone and I don't think even knows what social media is.
Every time I go visit he asks me how to print out emails. I tell him, same way I showed you the last 20 times Dad. I get told to shut up and just show him again. No gratitude! :0)

I might got look at Phones today. I'm struggling with and hate the iphone I have which is my daughters hand me down. I'll go look at androids. To me they make more sense and I have seen I can get them the size of a television which is what I want. Bugger compact and portable, I want practical and usable.
No one goes and buys a 20" TV for the lounge room, you buy the biggest mother of a screen you can. I want to follow through with that on my phone.

Just woke up to a call from my girl and she is back at the Eiffel tower. It's 11PM there and she is just sitting underneath the thing and taking in the Night Views. Was 37oC there today. Nearly 100 in the funny American scale!

Such a spin out standing in my kitchen talking to her knowing where she is at the same moment.

Jun 21, 2017 at 09:52 PM
Smousefam5
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

We went "live" on FB for two of my kids weddings which meant the world to some people who were not able to attend. It was indeed very cool.

Jun 26, 2017 at 05:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

glort
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

We went "live" on FB for two of my kids weddings which meant the world to some people who were not able to attend. It was indeed very cool.

Yes, I can well imagine how significant it would be to people.
It certainly moved and humbled me that was for sure and this was not the significance of a wedding.

Spoke to my Dad Yesterday. Asked him if he got and saw the pictures I emailed him
He said yes in such a calm manner I didn't believe him although didn't say that.
Was more expecting Cussing about how to see them or whatever.

He then Commented about something he only could have seen in what I sent him so I knew he must have mastered the opening of an email with images. Progress!.

I was telling him how my daughter was on the Eiffel tower and called us with a video link and we could see the view she was showing us and talk to her at the same time.
He was fascinated and I think a bit moved as well. He said that must have been something for you and her mother. I said yes, it certainly was.

He spoke about a relative that did a live interview on TV about 15 years ago,. He said Relative reckoned it took them a couple of hours just to set up this huge truck they had with this big Radar dish on the top. I said yep, and now you can do it from your phone.
He asked If we could see her clearly. I said good as television. He was amazed.

Another friend was talking about when he went OS 12 years ago and had to book calls in some places he went to let his mother know where he was.

Last Night the friend she is traveling with broadcast some of the concert they were there to see.
Pretty amazing being able to see what is going on on the other side of the world as it happens.

Not heard of shooters offering this live broadcasting. I have heard and seen people offering it for Funerals however. Given Weddings are just Funerals for the living, sounds like it could be an untapped and potentially profitable market.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:13 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

If she happens to be around Munich this coming weekend the Steiff Family Festival will be on. A drive out but if she is into that kind of thing worth the visit.

Jun 26, 2017 at 05:04 PM
glort
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

No, I think She is off to Prauge or Budapest this week then there is the Wish Festival either this weekend or Next.
Looks like the Mrs has knocked off the copy of the itinerary I had.

Didn't get any Pics over the weekend as they were camping at the festival and left their valuables in a locker somewhere. She has the SD card with her though.

I think they will probably find every festival and the like going anywhere near where they are going though. :0)

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:39 PM
Smousefam5
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

Favorite post I have read all week. My iPhone will never replace my DSLR but Facetiming and messaging photos to my kids is one of my favorite parts of life.

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:06 PM
PhilPDX
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · O/T OK, now I kinda like facebook. And Iphones!

All you have to do when you wait at your gate at the airport is to look around. Whole families, groups of friends, individuals - everybody's staring at their stupid smartphone, no one is talking to each other. There's no "upside" to this technology other than your boss being able to reach you 24/7/365 now. ;-)

-Phil

Aug 25, 2017 at 02:52 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password