New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Ichabod Crane

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ichabod Crane

Pretty sure he lives around here someplace.

This is a 9 frame pano shot last week down in the low country.

All of my planned landscape shots were destroyed by hurricane Matthew last fall so I tried to find a few other locations during our visit.

Thoughts?

Edit: Funny side story to this mornings shoot. While I was shooting this scene a deer walked out into the road way down there and I never knew it until I got home and noticed it during my culling.
Some damn deer hunter I am huh.

Dave

Sleepy Hollow

Jun 20, 2017 at 09:01 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ichabod Crane

A very fine image, and especially a long lens pano. I have to ask why the extension for a planned pano?

Jun 20, 2017 at 09:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ichabod Crane

ben egbert wrote:
A very fine image, and especially a long lens pano. I have to ask why the extension for a planned pano?

Lazy bum didn't bother to take it off ... instead, he was still looking for deer.
Welcome back.

I dig on the long exposure to get the detail in the shadows, etc. But, the road seems pretty bright (not to be confused with overexposed). Any chance of pulling it down some so the scene has a more harmonious tonal transition (i.e. less contrast) to go along with the mood. As is ... it looks part "painterly" and part "clinical", if that makes any sense.

A crude rework from the jpg ... but, I'm thinking this has an opportunity for some SERIOUS moodiness to it if you choose to render it as such.

Jun 20, 2017 at 09:41 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ichabod Crane

RustyBug wrote:
Lazy bum didn't bother to take it off ... instead, he was still looking for deer.
Welcome back.

I dig on the long exposure to get the detail in the shadows, etc. But, the road seems pretty bright (not to be confused with overexposed). Any chance of pulling it down some so the scene has a more harmonious tonal transition (i.e. less contrast) to go along with the mood. As is ... it looks part "painterly" and part "clinical", if that makes any sense.

A crude rework from the jpg ... but, I'm thinking this has an opportunity for some SERIOUS
...Show more

Kent's tweaks add additional drama and emotion to the scene. Nicely seen Dave, a quiet moment that has power.

Steve

Jun 21, 2017 at 07:41 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ichabod Crane

ben egbert wrote:

Ummm.. errrr.. uuhh.. Compression! Yeah that's it! Compression!

Actually, Kent is right.

I was going to another location to shoot some birds and had stopped here to take a few shots with my 5DII & 16-35mm. After seeing the results from the WA setup I quickly grabbed my wildlife rig and setup to do this pano.
Out of pure laziness I just left he 1.4x on. Matter of fact, I never took it off the entire trip.
I also have a strange phobia (to a fault) of exposing my sensor to dust and rarely ever open it up in the field to swap lenses even though I take all the precautions when doing so. I need to get over this one of these days.

Long lens panos are very new to me and I need to learn when and where to use this setup more.
After seeing my UWA shots I had taken, I quickly learned that long glass was needed for this type of shot.
Maybe not 140mm on a cropper type long, but it was a good learning experience.

Dave

---------------------------------------------

RustyBug wrote:
Welcome back.

A crude rework from the jpg ... but, I'm thinking this has an opportunity for some SERIOUS
...Show more

Ha! You got me pegged pretty well Mr. Laziness and paranoia got the better of me.

Your edit did improve the image. I'll take another look at it and see what I can do.

I was wondering about the brightness of the road and if I should have gone further with it. If you saw the sooc you would see that I had already reduced it quite a bit but stopped short because I thought it was starting to look muddy. Actually, viewing this now on my crap work monitor it's looking pretty bad in some areas.

I do have numerous different compositions and other locations that are similar to this and I think those might work better for the moodiness.

And yes Jeff, I have one from another area already converted to mono.

Dave

Jun 21, 2017 at 07:44 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ichabod Crane

eeneryma wrote:
Kent's tweaks add additional drama and emotion to the scene. Nicely seen Dave, a quiet moment that has power.

Steve

Thanks Steve! You'll be seeing more soon I'm sure. I just haven't had much time to work on any.
I have deleted over 2000 images so far from this week long trip and that took many hours of culling.
I will say this though....
I will NEVER EVER attempt manual focusing on BIF again in my life. What an absolute PITA that is.

Dave

Jun 21, 2017 at 07:49 AM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ichabod Crane

Thought I would try pushing the clarity instead of making a tonemap/hdr result for this one, Dave.

https://s19.postimg.org/bf8msi2er/1481524.jpg

Jun 21, 2017 at 08:53 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ichabod Crane

Now that gives it a nice punch Lyle!
I have some work cutout for me with these as there are many directions to go with them.

Dave

Jun 21, 2017 at 09:05 AM
Littlefield
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ichabod Crane

Dave, nice shot of Botany Bay Road. I think the beach opens back end of July unless you go to it now by boat.
Don

Jun 21, 2017 at 03:03 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ichabod Crane

Thanks Don. Good to see you poke your head in you lurker.

I don't think they have any plans on the books yet or at least they didn't tell me. I was there nearly everyday last week. The bridge was wiped out and I think they are waiting for some grant money.

Dave

Jun 21, 2017 at 03:39 PM
Littlefield
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ichabod Crane

Dave, basing it on this :
Quote:
Botany Bay Plantation barrier island that became maybe the most popular natural beach on the South Carolina coast is expected to reopen at the end of July — what's left of it after Hurricane Matthew.
The causeway bridge to the island that the storm destroyed is under contract to be rebuilt. Once that work is done, state crews will have to clear fallen trees and debris from the remainder of the half-mile-long causeway, as well as a path on the island to the beach itself, said Phil Maier, a spokesman for the S.C. Department of Natural Resources.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/edisto-island-s-botany-bay-plans-to-reopen-this-summer/article_8f55a3b6-4f97-11e7-aa73-8f185d6c387f.html

My brother has a place at Bohickett been meaning to take his boat there and have always wanted that
road shot.
Don

Jun 21, 2017 at 03:51 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ichabod Crane

Very nice Dave.
I agree that the road needed darkening and more character, especially given the mood implied by your title.
Geographically, I think you may be off (south) by about a 1000 miles, but still a keeper!
Manual settings, BIF?! Yeah, many do it, after tons of practice, moving controls from one dial to another, etc. Too tough a gig for me.

Scott

Jun 21, 2017 at 08:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ichabod Crane

BIF manual, something I think everybody should do ... at least once. Twice if you're a sicko.

Actually, MF with gulls and other proximity friendly flyers isn't too bad if you are shooting a "zone" (with some dof) that they are flying into / through. Especially if it is close enough to use normal or WA glass with.

The other place that MF with BIF can be fairly effective is "zone" at launch from a given perch. Shootin' supertele WO on a raptor coming at ya ... not so much.

So ... let's see the pics.

Jun 21, 2017 at 09:04 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ichabod Crane

Very nice image Dave, can't add any other thoughts to those already mentioned.

Best,

Bob

Jun 22, 2017 at 07:06 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ichabod Crane

sbeme wrote:
Very nice Dave.
I agree that the road needed darkening and more character, especially given the mood implied by your title.
Geographically, I think you may be off (south) by about a 1000 miles, but still a keeper!
Manual settings, BIF?! Yeah, many do it, after tons of practice, moving controls from one dial to another, etc. Too tough a gig for me.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I have yet to have time to set down and rework this one and all the rest. Definitely like the darker moodier vibe of Kents edit. I have a few others very similar that I think will work well like that also.

Yep, I knew the legend was from up there in yankee land but this place definitely has that feel to it and was running through my head while editing.

Dave

RustyBug wrote:
BIF manual, something I think everybody should do ... at least once. Twice if you're a sicko.

Actually, MF with gulls and other proximity friendly flyers isn't too bad if you are shooting a "zone" (with some dof) that they are flying into / through. Especially if it is close enough to use normal or WA glass with.

The other place that MF with BIF can be fairly effective is "zone" at launch from a given perch. Shootin' supertele WO on a raptor coming at ya ... not so much.

So ... let's see the pics.

I tried every technique I could think of and even though some were a little easier, my hit rate was an absolute joke. I think I broke my delete key.

The sad part is, I couldn't stop myself from at least trying every time I had a bird fly by or near me. So yep, I'm a "sicko".
Hell, I even clicked on a few that were way beyond my reach even though I knew they would be too small to do anything with.
And trying to nail one of those little torpedo barn swallow looking bastards drove me absolutely nuts!
For me, it's like a video game. Fun as hell, but man do I suck at it.

If they don't release that 6DII soon I'm going to say screw it and snag a nice used 5DIV. That's all I kept thinking about all week long and how fun would it be to actually nail some BIF with a new rig.

Dave

Bob Jarman wrote:
Very nice image Dave, can't add any other thoughts to those already mentioned.

Best,

Bob

Thanks Bob! Good to hear it's working for you.

Dave

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:32 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ichabod Crane

lighthound wrote:
And yes Jeff, I have one from another area already converted to mono.

Dave

Well why haven't you posted it yet?!

I wasn't gonna throw one up, but I can def see why you converted - especially if going for the darker mood. OP is too bright and happy - light at the end of the tunnel and other rahrah stuff. Lyle's version comes off much more menacing and threatening - almost like the branches will come alive and reach out to grab you.

Food for thought!

Jeff

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:09 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ichabod Crane

beavens wrote:
I wasn't gonna throw one up...

Blacks are crushed.

I think responses are drifting from critique of the image presented to re-interpretation.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:36 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ichabod Crane

beavens wrote:
Well why haven't you posted it yet?!

I wasn't gonna throw one up, but I can def see why you converted - especially if going for the darker mood. OP is too bright and happy - light at the end of the tunnel and other rahrah stuff. Lyle's version comes off much more menacing and threatening - almost like the branches will come alive and reach out to grab you.

Food for thought!

Jeff

Ok Jeff, you guilted me into posting the other mono version I had mentioned.
This is a different image from the OP image and has a much better tunnel effect I think.

I haven't had a chance to finish it up but this is close to finished.

Let me know how this one works.

Dave

Jun 22, 2017 at 01:13 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ichabod Crane

dmacmillan wrote:
Blacks are crushed.

I think responses are drifting from critique of the image presented to re-interpretation.

Yeah, the blacks were crushed with 100% intention - thanks tho.

Titles and content should line up IMO. This scene, while pleasing, has no connection to the title. Pushing this image darker and into a more moody direction would be an appropriate choice.

Reinterpretation is merely one aspect of critique. If anyone has any issues with any reworks or they feel that it doesn't contribute to the discussion at hand then they can request that said rework be removed.

lighthound wrote:
Ok Jeff, you guilted me into posting the other mono version I had mentioned.
This is a different image from the OP image and has a much better tunnel effect I think.

I haven't had a chance to finish it up but this is close to finished.

Let me know how this one works.

Dave

Nice Dave!! I like this one better as there's a stronger feeling of being enveloped and overwhelmed by those finger-like branches.

You might want to play with some push/pull of your tones though.

Jeff

Jun 22, 2017 at 02:02 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ichabod Crane

dmacmillan wrote:
Blacks are crushed.

I agree in that sometimes this is the case. It's a delicate dance for sure and we must be mindful of this when offering our thoughts and suggestions. However, in this case, I think I left myself open to such suggestions due to my titling as Jeff pointed out. He as well as the others are simply illustrating options to better convey the message that my title suggest but I failed to deliver on.

There are some that may not like such edit suggestions but for me personally, I don't mind them as they often help me realize either I'm heading in the right direction or completely off base. I try to post and ask for critique after I have an image somewhat close to where I wanted it and in this case I stopped short of where I was thinking because I thought it might be too dark. Based on the feedback I've gotten I nw know I could have gone further.

Maybe not as blocked up as Jeff's edit though.

It's all good in my book. No harm, no foul and I always appreciate any and all feedback.

Dave

beavens wrote:
Yeah, the blacks were crushed with 100% intention - thanks tho.

Titles and content should line up IMO. This scene, while pleasing, has no connection to the title. Pushing this image darker and into a more moody direction would be an appropriate choice.

Reinterpretation is merely one aspect of critique. If anyone has any issues with any reworks or they feel that it doesn't contribute to the discussion at hand then they can request that said rework be removed.

Nice Dave!! I like this one better as there's a stronger feeling of being enveloped and overwhelmed by those finger-like branches.

You might want
...Show more

Thanks Jeff. I kinda thought this one would roll better with my title choice. Matter of fact, I think I had just made this conversion before I posted the OP image and it might have been the reason that title stuck in my head.
Should have posted this one first I suppose but I didn't feel like it was right yet and I think the tonal changes you suggested is why.

Hopefully I'll get some play time tonight to take a fresh look at these and the other 1,856 that survived the first culling.

Dave

Jun 22, 2017 at 04:05 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.