Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
  

100-400mm lens solution
  
 
mitesh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 100-400mm lens solution


, you know how it is, Anurag do as I say, not as I do!

nandadevieast wrote:
Yes, indeed, you said it and exactly what I am doing now, should have listened to you.
At that time, even you sold your 100-400 so I was shaky.
I ended up owning a 300 in the whole process which I don't regret one bit. I will see down the line which one is better for me, hopefully by using them in the wild and not on paper. This duplication doesn't bother me as much as 12-100 and 40-150 would have.
In any case I have bought into M43 for wildlife and nature so having a tele prime and also
...Show more



Jun 26, 2017 at 04:20 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 100-400mm lens solution


Good choice. It is the only choice that gives you a 100mm to 400mm focal-length range without screwing around with TC's. Plus all those odd focal-lengths in between can be very helpful for precise compositions without having to change your distance to subject.

Besides that, it is a better lens than many think.



Jun 27, 2017 at 02:14 PM
gary0319
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 100-400mm lens solution


Imagemaster wrote:
Good choice. It is the only choice that gives you a 100mm to 400mm focal-length range without screwing around with TC's. Plus all those odd focal-lengths in between can be very helpful for precise compositions without having to change your distance to subject.
Plus all those odd focal-lengths in between can be very helpful for precise compositions without having to change your distance to subject.
Besides that, it is a better lens than many think.


Good point, I end up shooting my PL100-400 at other than the long end more than at the extremes.



Jun 27, 2017 at 03:38 PM
srvfm
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 100-400mm lens solution


Imagemaster wrote:
Good choice. It is the only choice that gives you a 100mm to 400mm focal-length range without screwing around with TC's. Plus all those odd focal-lengths in between can be very helpful for precise compositions without having to change your distance to subject.

Besides that, it is a better lens than many think.


I agree and am only an enthusiast, but I love the 100-400. I used it as my primary lens in Tanzania last year. There are many travel situations where you simply can't "zoom with you feet" so I'd rather have a "soft" shot at 400mm than no shot at all. These are some shots taken at 400mm (resized for the web) that I feel printed out at 13 x 19 beautifully.


















Jun 28, 2017 at 05:36 PM
nandadevieast
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 100-400mm lens solution


Hi guys,
My dealer had a copy of 100-400 which he had ordered after the GH5 launch here in India. The copy was for his personal use. He did give it to me for a day yesterday and today, along with the 40-150 Pro (without the TC).

Fortunately, I also have a 300 Pro and I have been playing with it for couple weeks now (on my feeder) so I have a good handle on that lens.

In brief, the Panasonic 100-400 didn't do it for me. I just couldn't get good shots with it. Maybe it was a very brief experience or maybe I was coming from 300 Pro, I don't know the reason..,

1) It was unpredictable (in my hands)
2) I got good shots at 100 mm but no luck at 300 and 400mm
3) I was on ISO 6400 easily. The lens is dark.

40-150 was a breeze. Sharp, spot on, doesn't need much light. I was very happy with it. Very easy and simple lens to use.

I have asked the dealer to get me the kit which comes with MC14, that will save me money also.

I can't buy 100-400 anymore. I own 300 anyways so 40-150 with TC will give me a 100-400 option. And its 2.8 and these cameras really need light so that's good.

I can also use TC on 300.

I really wanted to buy that lens.



Jun 28, 2017 at 05:58 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 100-400mm lens solution


You are all set once you get your MC-14. Your next purchase could be one of the f1.2 lenses i.e. the Nocticron 42.5 or the budget-priced Mitakon version; the Olympus 25/1.2 ... and Olympus will shortly release their 17/1.2 lens.

nandadevieast wrote:
Hi guys,
My dealer had a copy of 100-400 which he had ordered after the GH5 launch here in India. The copy was for his personal use. He did give it to me for a day yesterday and today, along with the 40-150 Pro (without the TC).

Fortunately, I also have a 300 Pro and I have been playing with it for couple weeks now (on my feeder) so I have a good handle on that lens.

In brief, the Panasonic 100-400 didn't do it for me. I just couldn't get good shots with it. Maybe it was a very
...Show more




Jun 28, 2017 at 08:25 PM
Julius
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 100-400mm lens solution


Imagemaster wrote:
Good choice. It is the only choice that gives you a 100mm to 400mm focal-length range without screwing around with TC's. Plus all those odd focal-lengths in between can be very helpful for precise compositions without having to change your distance to subject.

Besides that, it is a better lens than many think.


I agree 100% with you on this.
I had the Olympus 300mm and the MC-14 and the PanaLeica 100-400mm at the same time and ran side by side tests.
At 300mm they were identical at f5.6 and f5.7 repectively, and at 420mm f5.6 on Olympus 300mm+TC and 400mm f8 on the PanaLeica I could not see any difference either. Since I like zoom lenses a lot more than fixed focus ones that was an easy decision for me which one to keep.
I am as happy as I can be with the 100-400.



Jun 29, 2017 at 02:01 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 100-400mm lens solution


Julius wrote:
I had the Olympus 300mm and the MC-14 and the PanaLeica 100-400mm at the same time and ran side by side tests.
At 300mm they were identical at f5.6 and f5.7 repectively, and at 420mm f5.6 on Olympus 300mm+TC and 400mm f8 on the PanaLeica I could not see any difference either. Since I like zoom lenses a lot more than fixed focus ones that was an easy decision for me which one to keep.
I am as happy as I can be with the 100-400.


The images I got with the 300mm only looked better than those from the zoom due to the better background blur. Having the versatility of the zoom and not having to deal with TC's and not having 100-300mm covered with the same one lens, made choosing the zoom a no-brainer for me.

Then there are some that say the prime is better just because they have to justify their purchase of it.



Jun 29, 2017 at 02:55 AM
nandadevieast
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 100-400mm lens solution


Tony what you say is correct, and your images speak for it.
It could have been my inability mostly to employ the correct technique. I can't rush and proclaim the lens to be a dud in a days use. But I figured quickly that it's a difficult lens for someone like me who is inexperienced in dealing with 800mm length.
I have noticed that these camera's quickly run up the ISO scale and I found 40-150 to be more helpful in that regard and overall an easier lens to use.
Mind you that I was not looking for a super tele lens, or deciding between 300 and 100-400. I was looking for a 100-400 solution (100-200 in micro four thirds parlance).

Imagemaster wrote:
The images I got with the 300mm only looked better than those from the zoom due to the better background blur. Having the versatility of the zoom and not having to deal with TC's and not having 100-300mm covered with the same one lens, made choosing the zoom a no-brainer for me.

Then there are some that say the prime is better just because they have to justify their purchase of it.




Jun 29, 2017 at 03:30 AM
DanC.Licks
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 100-400mm lens solution


You mean 50-200mm?


Jun 29, 2017 at 05:44 AM
1      
2
       end






FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password