New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Been really busy the last 3 or 4 weeks, so haven't been on here much. But thought I'd like to share a few pics from some recent studio shoots with dancers. Comments always welcome.

1. This was actually from a recital costume portrait session at a dance studio. Girl just got up and rocked it, so thought I'd include it.
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4266/35288623881_5fbe79bec9_b.jpg

2. This was supposed to be a recital costume portrait session in white, but I wanted to shoot this Black Swan outfit against black.
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4253/35378835636_1d4436d0a8_b.jpg

3. In my studio with this summer's muse.
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4210/34576482174_83b2936fc1_b.jpg

4. My muse again.
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4242/35031209800_797c6c21d6_b.jpg

5. From another showcase costume portrait session at a dance company.
http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4258/35251866552_de25c0c363_b.jpg

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:16 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

These are great Ron! My favs are #1 with the spot on while on white high key and #3 with the mirror surface low key.

Jun 20, 2017 at 05:27 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Excellent work, Ron. Fav's are #1 & #2.

Jun 20, 2017 at 06:44 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

That black on black in #2 is killer.

Jun 20, 2017 at 08:32 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

dmacmillan wrote:
These are great Ron! My favs are #1 with the spot on while on white high key and #3 with the mirror surface low key.

Thanks, Doug. That girl in No. 1 is just like 11 or 12 years old. The company's artistic director had just retired from her role as a principal dancer with the Milwaukee Ballet, and after each jump, she told the girl to tweak one little thing until we got it perfect on just her fourth or fifth leap. Unbelievable. I couldn't believe how she was able to make those adjustments on such a difficult jump, and get the lines of her legs just perfect. I was thinking that if I screwed the shot up by getting the timing wrong... ugh. But she nailed it, and I thankfully nailed it as well. Fun to see everyone's reaction to seeing the shot when it popped up on the monitor (I shoot tethered to a large-screen TV monitor).

Jun 20, 2017 at 09:01 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Jim Rickards wrote:
Excellent work, Ron. Fav's are #1 & #2.

Thanks, Jim!

Jun 20, 2017 at 09:02 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Vcook wrote:
That black on black in #2 is killer.

Thanks, Chris! I love shooting black on black! :-)

Jun 20, 2017 at 09:05 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

I've scrolled back and forth quite a few times trying to pick a favorite and simply can't pick just one. Voted.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:58 AM
mitchel674
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

#2 is over the top good!! Nicely don, Ron.

Jun 20, 2017 at 01:28 PM
DerrickPAC

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Great stuff! My fave is #1 as the lighting is crisp and balanced and she pops out of the same color background. Pic #2 is a strong 2nd for the same reasons with being able to pull out the black on black black. Pic #3 is solid just with the lighting and pose, but the mirror reflection gives it that much more of a wow factor. And I still like #4 just for the different dimension of lighting and athleticism and reminds me of Joel Grimes or Ben Shirk (both of whom I admire).
I hardly ever comment on FM at all, but just shot my first recital and my first musical and just wanted to give my 2 cents, as I follow your posts a lot and love your work.

Jun 20, 2017 at 02:02 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Mar73 wrote:
I've scrolled back and forth quite a few times trying to pick a favorite and simply can't pick just one. Voted.

Thanks, I really love this!

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:53 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

mitchel674 wrote:
#2 is over the top good!! Nicely don, Ron.

Thanks so much!

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:54 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

DerrickPAC wrote:
Great stuff! My fave is #1 as the lighting is crisp and balanced and she pops out of the same color background. Pic #2 is a strong 2nd for the same reasons with being able to pull out the black on black black. Pic #3 is solid just with the lighting and pose, but the mirror reflection gives it that much more of a wow factor. And I still like #4 just for the different dimension of lighting and athleticism and reminds me of Joel Grimes or Ben Shirk (both of whom I admire).
I hardly ever comment on FM
...Show more

I'll be honest. I've been discouraged as the level of participation here on FM has dropped significantly the last few years. But comments like this is what keeps me coming back.

I guess it shouldn't be a huge surprise that I'm a huge fan of Grimes and Shirk myself.

Really, really appreciate your comment, esp since you stepped out of the woodworks for it.

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:56 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Voted. These are exquisite, Ron. I love them all but have to say the softness and grace of No. 5 really caused me pause.

Great job.

C

Jun 20, 2017 at 05:09 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Thanks, Chuck! No. 5 was the result of having a concept in mind and having about 30 seconds to get the lighting right. We always do a creative shot at the end of our session, and this was the shot we wanted to do this year. But just as we started, the dancer's mom showed up to pick her up and seemed to want her out of there. I was like, are you kidding? I'm trying to make art here, and it doesn't happen in 30 seconds.

I actually wonder what it would have looked like if I had some time to experiement with the lights. Maybe not that much different, as I had a pretty clear idea on how I wanted to light it before I shot it... but you never know. Art, interrupted. :-)

nolaguy wrote:
Voted. These are exquisite, Ron. I love them all but have to say the softness and grace of No. 5 really caused me pause.

Great job.

C

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:00 AM
Gary Schmeidle
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

These are just fabulous Ron! I definitely voted for this set, too bad i could only vote once.

As far as favorites, that is difficult as they all are outstanding. But for me #3 really shines for the execution of the entire shot including the reflection and the strength it portrays and there is something about the composition and elegance of #5 that really draws me in.

Well done!

Jun 22, 2017 at 08:12 AM
MrJStamp
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Love the symmetry in #3

Jul 04, 2017 at 03:58 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Thanks, guys!

Jul 04, 2017 at 05:46 PM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

Ron, some really nice stuff here, I'm passing on #5 to Nina, to add to her "ideas" for the next shoot
Good stuff

Jul 06, 2017 at 09:21 AM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A few dancer portraits in the studio

It's not every photographer who can do high-key and low-key equally well. Your muse is strong! (#4). Good going, man.

Jul 07, 2017 at 02:15 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.