FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Thunderhead Prong, GSMNP

CreationBear
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thunderhead Prong, GSMNP

Whether it's fly rods or camera gear, this small trib of Little River has always made for a convenient proving ground for me here in the Smokies. In this case, I'm just starting to learn about my Pentax 67 (shooting Velvia 50 in this case--lens is a venerable Super Tak 105/2.4)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated--I'm especially just getting a feel for a "hybrid workflow" PP.

Jun 19, 2017 at 03:55 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thunderhead Prong, GSMNP

I find the greenish-yellow cast to be distracting... and I seem to be alone in not liking to see moving water robbed of all its character by long exposures.

And bring on the fly rods - cane, of course!

Jun 19, 2017 at 05:09 PM
CreationBear
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thunderhead Prong, GSMNP

Ha, you'll be happy to know I've taken many rainbows from that little plunge pool with my Payne 100 clone over the years.

At any rate, I'll have to study on the "hue" issue a bit--the original film stock's "white balance" was skewed even more toward "yaller" but I'm not sure if that's going to be a consistent problem with Velvia in these rhododendron culverts. (FWIW, Velvia is way slow with a CPL, so one second or longer exposures are probably a necessity for those conditions where its 4-stop DR works at all.)

Thanks for the comment, and tight lines!

Jun 19, 2017 at 06:42 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thunderhead Prong, GSMNP

The green cast should be easy to correct in post processing. And as to the water, I also don't like the look of super long shutter speeds as all detail then gets robbed from those areas and it no longer conveys movement as a shutter speed in the area of 1/5th of a second would.

A secondary issue with such long shutter speeds is that as the moving water then turns to milk, it also starts getting hotter and hotter in those spots to where it can actually blow out highlights. And so in this case, those Milky water spots are now so bright that they distract and bring the eye to them rather then allowing the eye to flow through the scene.

It's a great composition, but I would switch to faster film myself then so as to get the water looking nice (at least in my eyes).

Jim

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:06 PM
CreationBear
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thunderhead Prong, GSMNP

Thanks, Jim--I'm of the same mind as you and Ernie regarding shutter speeds for water...the look is definitely "played" if nothing else. As for the color casts, I might be in the same boat as the gents from the Pacific NW--"green" is such a dominant hue, but one that digital sensors seem to have trouble with as well. (To my eyes, backlit birches go "yellow" in this part of the world, while shadows under the rhodo tend to blue--not the most aesthetic combination, perhaps!) I might have to get some Provia and see if that provides a better starting point.

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:05 PM
racoll
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thunderhead Prong, GSMNP

Nice to see some film work still going on!

Andy

Jun 20, 2017 at 07:55 AM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thunderhead Prong, GSMNP

racoll wrote:
Nice to see some film work still going on!

Andy

Amen to that. I'm trying to learn how to 'properly expose/not waste' Fujichrome Provia in my new-to-me Pentax 67II.

Kenny

Jun 20, 2017 at 08:40 AM
CreationBear
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thunderhead Prong, GSMNP

Thanks, Andy--"film work" is still a novelty for me but I'm starting to understand how it gets in your blood. If I had to be practical, about every shot down in these hollers would benefit from a 5-shot bracket plus one to freeze the vegetation, but there's something to be said for the "chunk" of that big Pentax's shutter and trying to get it right in-camera. We'll see if I can learn to pull it off!

Jun 20, 2017 at 08:45 AM
SergeyT
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thunderhead Prong, GSMNP

>> Amen to that. I'm trying to learn how to 'properly expose/not waste' Fujichrome Provia in my new-to-me Pentax 67II.

Try shooting the same scene with a digital camera in M (same ISO as your film) and look at the histogram. When satisfied with the histogram transfer the settings (A&T) onto your film camera.

Jun 21, 2017 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.