New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

eBay Scam

Jefferson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · eBay Scam

I'd call ups and explain what happened. They may not be so appreciative of their tracking system being abused ..

Jefferson

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:49 PM
krementz
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · eBay Scam

[deleted]

Edited on Jun 19, 2017 at 11:04 PM · View previous versions

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:54 PM
David Garcia
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · eBay Scam

I purchased a Nikon 200-400mm a few years ago and everything looked legit. After placing the order, eBay notified me that the ad was a scam. I was surprised, to say the least. It's a hassle to have to wait to resolve issues like this. I've had othe bad experiences on eBay, but fortunately, all were resolved. I won't buy big ticket items from pvt parties on eBay anymore.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:58 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · eBay Scam

Just call your credit card company and tell them item was never delivered. Let them do the charge back.
Why bother with eBay and PayPal when it is so much easier dealing with your cc? You used a cc right?

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:28 AM
Jonesy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · eBay Scam

I used PayPal which is connected to my bank account. I thought I'd be protected by using eBay along with PayPal..

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:32 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · eBay Scam

Mike_5D wrote:
Same. I'd be very reluctant to spend that kind of money on eBay unless it was with a known-seller like Adorama having some crazy weekend blowout sale.

Me, too. Unless it is a lens from a reputable Japanese dealer, eBay is simply a market for picking up low-priced gadgets.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:37 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · eBay Scam

Jonesy wrote:
I used PayPal which is connected to my bank account. I thought I'd be protected by using eBay along with PayPal..

Sorry this happened to you.
Never use your bank account. Use a cc. You have added buyer protection at no extra cost.
When I opened a dispute on eBay for a small piece of equipment, the seller complained to me that PayPal immediately put a hold on funds and he had a negative balance. Not sure how it all works. Now's the time to read all the fine print on eBay.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:39 AM
qc_mountain
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · eBay Scam

I hope that you will get your money back.

Francois

Jun 20, 2017 at 01:31 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · eBay Scam

I am surprised that the online UPS tracking system shows an address for signature delivery but not a name?

Jun 20, 2017 at 01:34 AM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · eBay Scam

Online tracking doesn't show any address. Just the city and state. I called ups asking where it was delivered to and they gave me the address and who it was shipped to. It was a dress shop that bought a wedding dress online and it was labeled and addressed to them. At least I have proof from the seller in my eBay messages of them saying they messed up the shipping address. Which we all know they didn't even ship anything out.

Jun 20, 2017 at 01:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Thorsten
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · eBay Scam

After your initial post here, I thought maybe they had just mistyped the tracking number they sent you and by chance it was one in the same area. But reading the reply you got from the seller then, it is unfortunately clear that is is a scam without any doubt. Sorry this happened to you, I hope ebay will come through and resolve it so you get the payment back.

Jun 20, 2017 at 02:47 AM
wolfpacktx
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · eBay Scam

I hope that you will get your money back soon.

I have been buying from Ebay for many years. I bought a new 24-70 f2.8 ii, a used 16-35 F4 IS early this year from Ebay since I could not find a good deal here at FM. For buying expensive items from individuals on Ebay, I always follow these rules:

1) Seller must have 100% feedback, no exception
2) No international seller
3) Check the feedback of the seller. If this is the first time the sell listing an item more than $500, do not buy
4) Always ask the seller for date code (or first 2 digits of the serial number) for lenses. Or part of the serial number for something else
5) Ask the seller for a copy of receipt. If he/she does not have, ask when/where the item was purchased. If there is a huge gap between the purchase date and date code (for lenses), do not buy!
6) Use Paypal with a credit card

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:13 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · eBay Scam

I've bought many, many items over the years from ebay without a problem. Mostly I buy historical camera gear, but some of those pre-1860 lenses can get expensive in a hurry! I tend to only buy from people who have a fairly long history of buying & selling photo gear and are knowledgeable about it. Last fall I did buy a Nikon 70-300mm lens that was advertised as having VR. When it arrived, it was the model without. Seller was apologetic and gave immediate refund. Same for a D5300 I bought last summer that did not work--very fast apology and refund. I think the key is to stick to sellers with an excellent track record selling camera gear. I even buy a few moderately expensive things from a regular seller in Slovenia, and got a great deal on a very early Rolleiflex. My last ebay purchase was a very nice Kodak Bantam Special (1938) which came from a Texas thrift store. They had no clue what the camera was, had very poor photos, but had an excellent feedback rating. I ended up with a very nice camera for half what they've been selling for.

https://www.cameraquest.com/superban.htm

Kent in SD

Edited on Jun 20, 2017 at 03:54 AM · View previous versions

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:45 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · eBay Scam

wolfpacktx wrote:
I hope that you will get your money back soon.

I have been buying from Ebay for many years. I bought a new 24-70 f2.8 ii, a used 16-35 F4 IS early this year from Ebay since I could not find a good deal here at FM. For buying expensive items from individuals on Ebay, I always follow these rules:

1) Seller must have 100% feedback, no exception
2) No international seller

5) Ask the seller for a copy of receipt. If he/she does not have, ask when/where the item was purchased. If there is a huge gap between the purchase date and date
...Show more

I agree with half of your points, but the above I definitely do not:

1. High volume sellers will ALWAYS have a flaky/nutty customer. You have to take that into account. A 97% is good enough. If it's 100% may mean the seller hasn't sold many items.

2. Some of the very best sellers in the world are international--Cupog in Slovenia, most of the Japanese sellers, Apsley in London, etc. I'd rather buy from a well established seller in Japan/European/Australian country than a U.S. seller with far less history and feedback. All of the stuff I've bought from Japanese sellers (mostly Nikon) was in outstanding condition.

5. Generally not possible. Who is going to have the original receipt for a Voigtlander Petzval from 1862? Or a 1938 Kodak Bantam Special? Even with more modern camera gear there are a lot of guys (like me) who buy used gear all the time to try it, get tired of it, then sell it to buy something else. I've never had an original receipt yet I can tell you I have 99.9% great feedback on ebay going back 14 years. Your list is way too restrictive.

Kent in SD

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:52 AM
wolfpacktx
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · eBay Scam

I would say the rules are for individual sellers only (around 1000 feedback or less).

For volume sellers (over 10,000 feedback,or B&H, BesBuy, etc), I do not have any problem to buy

Two23 wrote:
I agree with half of your points, but the above I definitely do not:

1. High volume sellers will ALWAYS have a flaky/nutty customer. You have to take that into account. A 97% is good enough. If it's 100% may mean the seller hasn't sold many items.

2. Some of the very best sellers in the world are international--Cupog in Slovenia, most of the Japanese sellers, Apsley in London, etc. I'd rather buy from a well established seller in Japan/European/Australian country than a U.S. seller with far less history and feedback. All of the stuff I've bought from Japanese sellers (mostly
...Show more

Jun 20, 2017 at 04:40 AM
NIH NSF
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · eBay Scam

It just happened to me yesterday, bought a "brand new lens" from ebay, turned out the lens had a huge front element bruise , the seller insisted he shipped me a new lens, provided some photos of the lens he took before shipping, but none was showing the front element. The weird thing is the guy has 100% positive feedback. Now I had to fight it in ebay....A recent trend of these scams is that the scammer has videos or pics of them packing the items as fake evidence. I'll stick to reputable dealers on ebay from now on, no more individual sellers.

Jun 20, 2017 at 04:59 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · eBay Scam

Two23 wrote:
[ A 97% is good enough.

97% is a terrible feedback rating on eBay. A common guideline is to look for 99.7% or better. Feedback on eBay is highly inflated since any unhappy buyers don't bother to leave negative feedback.

Jun 20, 2017 at 05:13 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · eBay Scam

If you used your bank account you may be in for some fun. I got scammed just pennies in comparison (some $50) a few years back and the ebay policy was that you can't file a claim with PayPal for 90 days or so, or they would wash their hands in innocence. Of course they did nothing for 90 days. So I contacted PayPal and they told me to go f myself and that they won't do squat because it's been more than 90 days. I was mildly furious at that point and just had the credit card company refund it. Should have done that right away.

Good luck in any case.

Jun 20, 2017 at 05:27 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · eBay Scam

Thorsten wrote:
97% is a terrible feedback rating on eBay. A common guideline is to look for 99.7% or better. Feedback on eBay is highly inflated since any unhappy buyers don't bother to leave negative feedback.

I would say the opposite. People are much more likely to leave negative feedback than if they were content, but lazy.

Jun 20, 2017 at 06:19 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · eBay Scam

I've bought from eBay, but the scammers have really taken over recently. This is the most elaborate scam I've heard.

Jun 20, 2017 at 06:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password