New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

eBay Scam

Jonesy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · eBay Scam

Just got scammed on eBay Big time. Finally pulled the trigger to buy my first big white. Purchased a 500 F4 IS on June 8th. The sent a UPS tracking number and was suppose to be delivered today. I've been home all day waiting and I get a notification that it was delivered. Ups never came so I called ups and it was labeled and shipped to a local dress shop. So I go their thinking somehow shipping was really screwed up. Well I found the package that matched the tracking number and it was sent to and addressed to them. It was an actual dress the owner had ordered from a different company and was her package.

So apparently they traced packages that were being shipped to my city and sent me one of the tracking numbers leading me and eBay to believe the item was shipped and delivered.
So now I'm stuck hoping eBay believes me and refunds my money.

Anyone experience this before?

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:56 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · eBay Scam

Ouch. Sorry to hear you got scammed. It's just one of the many ways scammers get away with this stuff. Nothing new unfortunately. That's why I've never bought anything more than $100 off eBay. Just can't stomach the thought of losing more than that due to a scam.

Good luck. I hope you get your money. Most of these things originate in foreign lands where it's nearly impossible to track down the original culprits.

You can google "ebay scam tracking number" and you'll find many similar stories to yours. Hopefully you can find an answer there as to how to get your money back.

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:59 PM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · eBay Scam

Unless the dress shop refuses to help you with supporting information, I suspect you'll get your money back. eBay tends to lean strongly toward buyers these days.

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:11 PM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · eBay Scam

Yes they are actually a friend of mine and let me come in and take a photo of the package. It was addressed to them so there was no mistake.

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:12 PM
ross attix
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · eBay Scam

Assuming you took a photo of the label on the package, it will show the tracking info, plus sender and receiver. That should be all eBay needs.

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:13 PM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · eBay Scam

Yes I made sure to take a photo of the sender and who it was addressed to and shows the matching tracking number they provided me.

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · eBay Scam

Bummer.

I agree that you'll likely get it all back, but who needs the aggravation? Plus, you don't get the lens. Yet. It's awesome!

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:43 PM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · eBay Scam

Very frustrating and I'm sick to my stomach! Now I have to wait 3 days before eBay even will get involved..

This is the sellers reply to me
It's not scam! I'm currently on a short business trip and I asked my associate to ship your lens.
She made a mistake in the shipping address. UPS inspector told me that I will receive your lens back as "Undeliverable" within 1-2 business days.
I will have lens in my hands back soon and resend it via USPS Express Mail to the correct address or I will send a full refund. You gave me wrong feedback!

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Mike_5D
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · eBay Scam

Nowhere Man wrote:
Ouch. Sorry to hear you got scammed. It's just one of the many ways scammers get away with this stuff. Nothing new unfortunately. That's why I've never bought anything more than $100 off eBay. Just can't stomach the thought of losing more than that due to a scam.

Same. I'd be very reluctant to spend that kind of money on eBay unless it was with a known-seller like Adorama having some crazy weekend blowout sale.

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:49 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · eBay Scam

Contact ebay, paypal, and your credit card company. I hope you will get either the lens or your money back.

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · eBay Scam

Nice of them to let you see the package, I bet they could have thought you were quite the suspicious character.

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:15 PM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · eBay Scam

If I file a claim with PayPal it will cancel out the eBay claim.

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:18 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · eBay Scam

Jonesy wrote:
If I file a claim with PayPal it will cancel out the eBay claim.

That doesn't sound good. I've bought and sold a lot of stuff, but not much in the last year. I'll be stepping that up, soon.

Does that mean there's some kind of conflict between dispute resolution through eBay and through PayPal? Certainly sounds like it. Given a choice of only one process, I'd file the dispute with PayPal, as they're the ones 'handling' the money.

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:44 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · eBay Scam

Jonesy wrote:
Very frustrating and I'm sick to my stomach! Now I have to wait 3 days before eBay even will get involved..

This is the sellers reply to me
It's not scam! I'm currently on a short business trip and I asked my associate to ship your lens.
She made a mistake in the shipping address. UPS inspector told me that I will receive your lens back as "Undeliverable" within 1-2 business days.
I will have lens in my hands back soon and resend it via USPS Express Mail to the correct address or I will send a full refund. You gave me wrong feedback!

Is it possible that some dumb clerk actually sent you the wrong tracking number? Stupidity is much more common than evil.

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:49 PM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · eBay Scam

So some clerk supposedly in New York but then told me Just moved offices to California just by chance sent me a tracking number to a package that was also coming to the same city and state? Not buying it for a second!

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:54 PM
pwschladen
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · eBay Scam

krementz wrote:
Is it possible that some dumb clerk actually sent you the wrong tracking number? Stupidity is much more common than evil.

Sounds like typical scammer syntax/wording to me. They will do anything to delay a resolution.

I think stupidity, carelessness, incompetence etc is in general more common than malice - at least I hope so, because if not that would mean an awful lot of malice! In this case though I would be very surprised if there really is an innocent expanation.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:02 PM
itzswtyjenn

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · eBay Scam

It could be that they've sent you the wrong tracking number to that package that was suppose to go to the dress shop. I would open a claim and wait. What is the weight of the dress? if the lbs don't match the lens, it was probably the wrong tracking.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:11 PM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · eBay Scam

Was a 9lb box pretty much what I expected a 500 f4 to weigh. It's not their first rodeo I'm sure...

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:15 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · eBay Scam

I have had ups tracking numbers tell me my package had been delivered to a different adderss. I checked the dates the item(s) was delivered. It showed the package was delivered before I had placed an order. It seems that ups had not updated their data base (cleared the old data), so that when I used the tracking number .. it showed the old data.

Jefferson ..

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:30 PM
Jonesy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · eBay Scam

Yeah but I went to address ups told me it was delivered to and the box was sitting there just delivered and it was a package that the shop owner had ordered and it was addressed to them and etc.

All you have to do is know how the ups online tracking works and you can find packages that are scheduled to be delivered to your zip code. Apparently this is what the seller done to make eBay think it was delivered..

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password