Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

mjm6
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

Folks,

I am looking for a holster bag that can accommodate an a7rII or similar without the battery grip and with the 24-70 GM lens.

What I really want is one that can fit the lens with the hood installed in the correct way, if that is possible and practical.

I am looking at the Lowepro holster bags and think that the possibly the Toploader Zoom 45AW or the Toploader Zoom 50AW may work, and maybe the Adventura TLZ 30AW as well. I'm open to any compact holster bag as long as it has a belt loop.

The question is the width of the bag at the bottom, and whether the hood diameter will fit in any of these (About 4.5" diameter). The length is not an issue, as there are lots of options that will accommodate length-wise.

Does anyone have this lens and any of these bags that could advise?

Thanks,

---Michael

Jun 19, 2017 at 06:58 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

think tank digital holster 10 will probably work (10 with the pop down certainly fits adapted 24-70ii with a room to spare, so the GM shouldnt be an issue)

I use the holster for smaller combos like the a7rii + 85, but will use it with 24-240 and 24-70ii + metabones at times.

The belt loop is atypical, but can be worn with a regular belt. I might have had a lowepro bag that worked but sold them, the think tank holsters are generally better fitting and slimmer for the A7 series cameras.

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:27 PM
Dr Tone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

I have a ThinkTank Mirroless Mover 25i. It holds my a7r2 with 24-70GM and it's hood attached. You have room for a few accessories like batteries, cards and charger in the various other pouches but that's it.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/mirrorless-movers/products/mirrorless-mover-25i

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:34 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

The Think Tank products are nice, and I did look at them, but I was unsure if the pop down portion would be wide enough to hold the hood.

I'll look at them again, thanks.

I have a full blown photo backpack, but I want to also have a camera/lens readily available and my thinking is the holster is the best way to do that. It will allow me to strap it to my chest or to the backpack belt, and I can use it on its own when I'm going really light.

I have a Lowepro Reza TLZ20 that came with my a7r when I bought it back in 2013. It works well, but is too small for the 24-70 with the hood in any fashion. It will barely fit the camera/lens without the hood, and is really too tight.

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:55 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

The larger Think Tank digital holsters (e.g. the 20) should hold the camera and lens without resorting to the pop-down zipper bit.

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:30 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

Ok, after looking over the Think Tank bags, I decided to go for the Digital Holster 10. I like the idea of the 20 because I could then put my 70-200 in there optionally, but I think the smaller bag is the way to go for my purposes. If I really like it, I'll get the 20 for the larger lenses.

I'll report back once the bag is in and I have tested it out with my lenses.

Thanks,

---Michael

Jun 20, 2017 at 04:56 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

Dr Tone wrote:
I have a ThinkTank Mirroless Mover 25i. It holds my a7r2 with 24-70GM and it's hood attached. You have room for a few accessories like batteries, cards and charger in the various other pouches but that's it.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/mirrorless-movers/products/mirrorless-mover-25i

Does the camera with lens have to lay horizontalally or can it fit standing up?

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:14 AM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

I have a Toploader Zoom 50AW. It fits an a7RII with the 24-70 GM, but with the hood in reverse position. You need at least 9" of interior height if you want the hood on. I am looking for the same thing and found that the Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW II would work. But I am not paying $65 for a simple bag like that.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:00 AM
Dr Tone
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

TMaG82 wrote:
Does the camera with lens have to lay horizontalally or can it fit standing up?

I misunderstood the OP request. Mirrorless Mover is horizontal only. It's a great compact travel option for the a7r2 and 24-70GM.

Jun 20, 2017 at 02:02 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

kdrk888 wrote:
I have a Toploader Zoom 50AW. It fits an a7RII with the 24-70 GM, but with the hood in reverse position. You need at least 9" of interior height if you want the hood on. I am looking for the same thing and found that the Lowepro Toploader Pro 70 AW II would work. But I am not paying $65 for a simple bag like that.

Yes, that is what I figured, but wasn't sure...

The 70 AWII is also a lot deeper, as it can accommodate a camera with a battery grip I think. so that is really a whole different size of bag, which is unsuitable for my purposes.

Thanks for the comments.

---Michael

Jun 20, 2017 at 02:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie N
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

the problem with the toploader pro is that it's bulky as hell. Any "pro" bag from lowepro will be made for a pro body, like 1Dx!!!

the think tank bags fit the camera perfectly, and it wont flop inside when using smaller lenses. 90% of the time, I'll use something smaller, and the digital 10 is fantastic in that regard. Works fine for larger lenses up to and including the 70-300g with hood (tight fit). Zeiss 100-300 mounted even works, but not with hood.

the digital 10 fits 24-70ii adapted with hood, which comes out to 8 7/8" with about half inch to spare. I also have an L bracket, and it fits nicely. With the digital 20, you can fit up to 70-200, but I think you will still have to popdown to make it work with the 24-70 and will have excess space.... essentially, no perfect bag.

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:16 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

Charlie N wrote:
the problem with the toploader pro is that it's bulky as hell. Any "pro" bag from lowepro will be made for a pro body, like 1Dx!!!

the think tank bags fit the camera perfectly, and it wont flop inside when using smaller lenses. 90% of the time, I'll use something smaller, and the digital 10 is fantastic in that regard. Works fine for larger lenses up to and including the 70-300g with hood (tight fit). Zeiss 100-300 mounted even works, but not with hood.

the digital 10 fits 24-70ii adapted with hood, which comes out to 8 7/8" with about half
...Show more

Charlie, according to Think Tank's website, the interior height of the Digital Holster10 V2.0 is 6-8.25, I assume the 8.25" is with the popdown open at max., that's enough for the Canon 24-70II with the adapter and the hood in position? I had that combo before I bought the Sony GM. The length of the Canon + adapter is about the same as the Sony GM. With the Sony GM it needs 9" with the hood on. I would think the Canon + adapter need 9" too.

Douglas

Jun 20, 2017 at 05:09 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

kdrk888 wrote:
Charlie, according to Think Tank's website, the interior height of the Digital Holster10 V2.0 is 6-8.25, I assume the 8.25" is with the popdown open at max., that's enough for the Canon 24-70II with the adapter and the hood in position? I had that combo before I bought the Sony GM. The length of the Canon + adapter is about the same as the Sony GM. With the Sony GM it needs 9" with the hood on. I would think the Canon + adapter need 9" too.

Douglas

yeah, noticed that as well. That may be under the assumption that the lens is completely solid? I measured the 24-70ii + hood to end of the eye piece, 8 7/8" and there's room to spare! I remember the 70-300g was a tighter fit, that hood is big, but was still able to fit it. The measurement is very conservative and due to the way the bag pops down, it sort of wraps around the hood a little, hence it goes deeper than advertised.

I can probably fit a lens 1" longer simply by stuffing it in tighter! 24-70GM is on my todo list and I'm confident it will fit

EDIT: I recall, I have an even longer combo that fits the bag, 135L + 35L hood. The whole combo measures 9.5" and still fits the bag.

Jun 20, 2017 at 05:53 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

Charlie N wrote:
yeah, noticed that as well. That may be under the assumption that the lens is completely solid? I measured the 24-70ii + hood to end of the eye piece, 8 7/8" and there's room to spare! I remember the 70-300g was a tighter fit, that hood is big, but was still able to fit it. The measurement is very conservative and due to the way the bag pops down, it sort of wraps around the hood a little, hence it goes deeper than advertised.

I can probably fit a lens 1" longer simply by stuffing it in tighter! 24-70GM is
...Show more

Charlie, could you measure the actual interior height of the Digital 10 with the popdown open to the max? From the way you described, it must be at least 1'' taller than the 8.25" on their spec sheet. I just chatted with the customer service at Think Tank. He said with the divider on the top removed, the max height with the popdown fully extended is 9".

Thank you,

Jun 20, 2017 at 07:15 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

The Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 20 with take the A7rII along with the 24-70GM but have to say it's not the sort of weight I personally would want to carry on a belt

Jun 20, 2017 at 07:39 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

The Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 20 with take the A7rII along with the 24-70GM but have to say it's not the sort of weight I personally would want to carry on a belt

Jun 20, 2017 at 07:39 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

kdrk888 wrote:
Charlie, could you measure the actual interior height of the Digital 10 with the popdown open to the max? From the way you described, it must be at least 1'' taller than the 8.25" on their spec sheet. I just chatted with the customer service at Think Tank. He said with the divider on the top removed, the max height with the popdown fully extended is 9".

Thank you,

indeed, it's 9", but that's at a completely relaxed measured state. When you add weight to it, it certainly droops down even more!

9" measurement

adapted 135L @ 9.5"

adapted 135L in the bag

Jun 20, 2017 at 09:03 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

Looking good Charlie. Thanks for the effort.

Jun 20, 2017 at 09:08 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

Viramati wrote:

with the think tank belt system, you can carry a lot more than this combo. In fact with my landscape outings, I can go as heavy as cv10, 16-35 f4, 50, contax 100-300 and two bodies + filters + water bottle. For casual use, I've done all day trips to the zoo with the 24-240 (780g), no issues and comfortable. As long as your belt is fairly firm and you tighten it well. It wears much better if you have a real belt designed for load, like the think tank, or even a inexpensive construction belt.

A single belt runs into trouble with anything larger, like adding another pouch with lens, but one camera, one lens is like the sweet spot.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:11 PM
Dr Tone
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Holster bags that will fit the 24-70 GM?

Viramati wrote:

It won't with the hood attached. You need the 25i.

Jun 21, 2017 at 02:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password