New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Oscillating water drops.

DanC.Licks
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oscillating water drops.

Here are a few shots from a small pond/bird bath in the woods not far from here. The light is usually bad, so slowish shutter speeds (about 1/25- 1/250) are needed, and actually what I wanted to try and capture the spray. The birds really get into it and are a lot of fun to watch.

Jun 19, 2017 at 06:56 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oscillating water drops.

Anyway, I was interested in the "dotted lines" made by the water droplets, and posted the pictures on the German Olympus forum to see if there were any ideas about what caused it. They came up with all kinds of theories about the electronic shutter and the reading of the sensor etc.... but in the end I determined that it is nothing more than oscillations caused by the birds wings when they bash away at the water. Ever see anything like that?
Fun effect...

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:04 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oscillating water drops.

These are so neat !! I have no idea what is causing the effect. I have shot birds bathing with a Nikon DSLR and have not seen that effect.

Birdie

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:30 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oscillating water drops.

This kind of oscillation seems to be completely natural. See here (German guy judging by his accent, but it is in English)

and here:

see at 0:53 and at 2:15.
The frequency of the oscillation depends on the size of the droplet. My guess is that the nature of the light there, through the trees and directly from behind, brings it out. When the droplets are the right shape they reflect the sunlight. I have been able to duplicate the effect somewhat with a hose running a thin stream of water into our birdbath and capturing the splashing. Here a closeup

And here a couple of closeups from the woods

So I figure the length of the "track" is determined by the shutter speed and the speed of the droplet, and the frequency by the size. The way they churn up the water with their wings must be what is sending the droplets into oscillation.
At any rate, I have tested it with both mechanical (hose shot) and electronic shutter (woods) and that really seems to have nothing to do with it. Simply a fun quirk of nature.

Jun 20, 2017 at 06:46 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oscillating water drops.

Very cool that you noticed and explored this phenomenon; thanks for showing this.

Jun 20, 2017 at 01:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oscillating water drops.

So glad you tested and found the explanation . Amazing the things we never see or pay attention to.
I did so playing with a hose, and yes you can see the individual drops if the light and theater pressure is just right. Love seeing all the amazing things water does.

Birdie

Jun 20, 2017 at 02:04 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Oscillating water drops.

On the subject of water drops...
this guy is simply amazing!
http://zirke-astro.de/albums/tropfenfotografie/

But to be perfectly honest, I prefer Birdie's more natural approach.

Jun 22, 2017 at 06:37 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Oscillating water drops.

DanC.Licks wrote:
On the subject of water drops...
this guy is simply amazing!
http://zirke-astro.de/albums/tropfenfotografie/

But to be perfectly honest, I prefer Birdie's more natural approach.

Thank you Dan. Those are amazing. I am still trying to capture the ever illusive (for me) 3 drop collision.

Birdie

Jun 22, 2017 at 07:17 PM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Oscillating water drops.

Just keep dripping!

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:01 AM
DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Oscillating water drops.

More from the other day. As the light was subdued there were no bright reflections of the sun in the drops, so you can see the oscillations and distortions better. Same in post #2.

bigger
bigger

They really get into it, don't they?

Jul 02, 2017 at 08:38 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password