Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

runakid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

Just wondering. Looking for a good place to keep my passport/credit cards when I am in S. Africa.

Jun 19, 2017 at 06:44 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

Unless you need your passport, I'd leave it locked in a safe if possible. Typically I don't take a wallet on my travels but just a set of credit cards which I carry zipped up in my front pockets. All my pants and shorts have zipped front pockets. I keep my money and credit cards always zipped up. Never had any issues.

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:03 AM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

Thanks

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:02 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

Depends on the perceived safety of the place I am visiting. For China, eastern Europe I like to keep my passport with me at all times. I use one of the neck pouches. I keep in it some credit cards but not all. If there is a hotel safe I like to keep one credit card and a flash drive with scans of my passport and all electronic tickets.

You don't want any one unfortunate event to cause really major problems.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:04 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

When hiking in the backcountry I put it into two layers of heavy duty ziplok bags and throw it in the compartment for the hydration pouch. Those are usually water-proof.

When I need to carry it on me in the outdoors, same double layer heavy duty ziplok in a zippered cargo pocket that never gets unzipped.

In the city, preferably a safe in the hotel. If staying at a hotel that does not have one I carry it on me in something like this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z2AKO3G

If you do use ziplocks, go only for brand name heavy duty variety. The generic ones tear at the seams too easily.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:58 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

I take a color copy of my passport and if asked for it by people that is what I hand them. I take only two credit cards with one as a backup and when I get home I get them replaced with new ones so it is easy to spot false charges from someone who gained access to the card information (waiter, hotel cashier, etc.)

I too use pants with zippered pockets and that has been adequate. If at all concerned I will put my wallet in my front pocket or an inside jacket pocket that has a zipper.

Jun 20, 2017 at 09:51 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

Very great ideas by all. Loved the idea of getting new cards when home.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:05 PM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

Definitely support carrying color photocopies of passport, tix, cards.

One, don't carry your passport unless necessary.

Two, if/when you lose your original passport, makes like a whole lot easier in the consulate.

My wife and I each carry photocopies of both our passports.

BTW, I lost two passports within six weeks one trip. A little voice of experience .. and stupidity.

Jun 21, 2017 at 09:26 PM
colinr
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

Document Backup on Holiday - scan all the important stuff (as individual scans) then send the pdf files to yourself as email attachments

Usually, no matter where you are in the world, you have a copy available

Jul 23, 2017 at 03:52 AM
barrye
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

Carry a throwaway billfold that has some cash (usually several smaller bills that will be enough for the day) for daily use and a single credit card. This will be the wallet you pull out at a restaurant or souvenir place to buy something. Also, make it an athletic wallet that zips up. That way if you lose the wallet, you've only lost some petty cash and one credit card. If this is the only one you pull out then someone watching you won't know where your other wallet is located. Try to keep your main billfold buried under several layers and in a location where it is not visible when you're carrying it.

Barry

Jul 23, 2017 at 05:07 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

My travel pants and travel jackets have pockets with zippers which I believe is important to keeping a wallet inside from being removed by someone else.

I do not put cash in the wallet and have any cash in both medium denominations and small denominations kept separately. That way I am not pulling out a wad of cash to pay for a meal or a taxi, etc. and making myself conspicuous and a target.

I always bring a color copy of my passport and that is what I have on my person and leave the actual passport in the room safe. If a hotel clerk insists on having my passport I give them the photocopy. If my passport is stolen then I still have the photocopy which will make it a little easier to get a new one issued.

A woman's purse is going to be a target and so I would avoid anything like them even if they are touted as being theft proof. Same goes with wearing expensive jewelry or an expensive looking watch. I made a dumb mistake and took an expensive watch to South America and when hiring a guide for an area I could see he was looking at my watch to evaluate how much I would pay for his services. I would have paid less had I been wearing what I should have been wearing, a $20 wrist watch with a plastic band.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:17 PM
colinr
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

My best suggestion on the question of document safety - passport / driving licence / credit cards

Scan each item (separate scans) and send them to yourself by email - then you always have access to a pdf file for each document.

I carry these documents in a neck pouch under my shirt worn crosswise - the pouch should have a neck cable reinforced with a wire/metal inside and the back exterior face of the pouch should be waterproof - to protect the contents from perspiration

Not long back from South Africa - Cape Town / Garden Route / Kruger Park / Victoria Falls - did not feel threatened at any point - took all the usual steps to stay safe

Enjoy your trip

Jul 25, 2017 at 02:27 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

Funny how we are all concerned about being robbed or our credit cards lifted when traveling over seas. I've traveled to Europe, Asia, Africa and Central America without any issues at all, but was jacked in downtown Atlanta.

Let's not forget we have just as much chance of encountering problems at home as we do in some foreign country.

Jul 25, 2017 at 06:51 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

That's where I am heading.

Jul 25, 2017 at 07:50 PM
runakid
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where do you carry your wallet and passport on trips??

Thanks to all.

Jul 25, 2017 at 07:51 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.