New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Death Valley - Zabriskie

DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Death Valley - Zabriskie

A friend of mine noted that his NIK software was acting up and was saying he had to get serious about finding an alternative. I've felt much the same way, not knowing how much longer I can use Color Efex and Silver Efex. I dusted of my On1 version 10.5 (couldn't fall in love with the new raw) to see what I could do with their black & white adjustments.

This is a shot from our February visit to Death Valley. I actually think the software handled it well.

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:04 PM
Brev00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Death Valley - Zabriskie

Who would not love the detail and texture of those folds in the mountains? Interesting selection of tone. My only quibble? I would like to have you post this at a larger size.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:47 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Death Valley - Zabriskie

Brev00 wrote:
Interesting selection of tone.

Can you expand on this point for my learning? I'm pretty sure I selected their lightest copper tone, thinking it would add warmth. However, I'm colorblind and admittedly don't see things like the rest of the world, which makes me gravitate to black & white. Would I have been better off to not add tone and leave it pure shades of gray?

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:45 PM
Brev00
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Death Valley - Zabriskie

DougVaughn wrote:
Can you expand on this point for my learning? I'm pretty sure I selected their lightest copper tone, thinking it would add warmth. However, I'm colorblind and admittedly don't see things like the rest of the world, which makes me gravitate to black & white. Would I have been better off to not add tone and leave it pure shades of gray?

It is a pretty novel tone for a black and white which makes it stand out for me as distinctive. I am not sure it is the ideal tone in terms of impact as choosing a more usual tone may provide a more pleasing, harmonious image. I think the tone here is distinctive but perhaps drawing more attention than the image itself. I think it lightens up your image and that may deprive it of some blacks. Perhaps you could try another and post it along with this one. I tend to like selenium--the darkest choice of three selenium tones I have in Perfect Effects 17. You could try a couple of others and see if you can get some more feedback. I would definitely add my opinion. But, as I said originally, I think your experiment was a good one especially since you did not know what it actually looked like! There is a good variety of tones(lights and darks) that create nice layers. I especially like the way the river being darker than its surroundings stands out as a compositional element.

Jun 20, 2017 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.