Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

ehwojo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

Hello
I was wondering which cameras support focus bracketing in macro photography. I know the G85 does out of the box, I just don't know which m4/3 cameras support it EITHER natively or by firmware update. One reason I wanted to look at m4/3 was the olympus 60mm combined with the smaller sensor for easier depth of field...well also in portraits...

Any help appreciated!
Eric

Jun 19, 2017 at 01:12 AM
Wilbus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

Focus bracketing is supported but the newer Panasonics (GH5 for example) and some of the Olympus'.
I haven't got the time right now to check which Panasonics have it but most 4k enabled cameras after 2015 should have it (G7, G8, GH5 etc) as well as the GH4 via firmware update. According to Panasonic most cameras with 4k video should have it now.

Olympus supports it with both raw and jpg but I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the Panasonics only has it in jpg but even higher frame rate (30fps I believe).

Panasonic use what they call "post focus" which means the camera shoots a number of JPG's at 30fps at all kind of different smart focus distances. The camera calculates what is needed I believe. You then have the option to either combine them or simply to choose the ones that you want. You may want on close focus and another photo with far focus for two different images. Panasonics requires their own lenses in order to post focus/focus bracket as they depend on their DFD focus system.

Also, only some lenses in combination with some bodies support it. For example, Olympus E-M1, E-M1 Mk II, E-M5 Mk II and E-M10 Mk II support focus bracketing which means the camera changes focus for you but you stack them your self. Focus stacking is supported in the E-M1 and E-M1 Mk II and means the camera stacks the images for your in to a JPG (but a maximum of 8 images). Olympus bodies only support focus stacking/bracketing using Olympus lenses and only lenses made for it which, at the moment, are all the PRO lenses as well as the 60mm Macro.

The E-M1 needs firmware 4.0 or later in order to support it. If you buy an E-M1 today chances are it's already been updated.

So make sure you buy a camera and lens that are compatible. Meaning, if you want the Olympus 60mm Macro, you need an Olympus body.

If you want a Panasonic body, you need a Panasonic lens.

Regards

Rasmus

Jun 19, 2017 at 05:17 AM
ehwojo

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

Thank you for the wisdom here! I spent some time on the websites, but they did not reflect the fair ware updates you mentioned, but I could not find information on.

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:17 AM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

Wilbus wrote:
Focus bracketing is supported but the newer Panasonics (GH5 for example) and some of the Olympus'.
I haven't got the time right now to check which Panasonics have it but most 4k enabled cameras after 2015 should have it (G7, G8, GH5 etc) as well as the GH4 via firmware update. According to Panasonic most cameras with 4k video should have it now.

Olympus supports it with both raw and jpg but I believe (correct me if I am wrong) the Panasonics only has it in jpg but even higher frame rate (30fps I believe).

Panasonic use what they call "post
...Show more

Good rundown on the Olympus models, but add the Pen F to the "bracket only" list.

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:30 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

gary0319 wrote:
Good rundown on the Olympus models, but add the Pen F to the "bracket only" list.

Oh crap! Completely forgot about the PEN-F!

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:58 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

ehwojo wrote:
Thank you for the wisdom here! I spent some time on the websites, but they did not reflect the fair ware updates you mentioned, but I could not find information on.

No they are quite worthless with that. I know the Olympus models and updates but Panasonic is a bit less known to me. As far as I can find all their 4K cameras "should" have it, including the GH4 which got it in an update but I'm sure there are people here (or other forums) who known Panasonics lineup better then I do!

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:59 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

I double checked and the Pen-F's make no mention of neither focus stacking nor focus bracketing, and the newest firmware update does not support it neither.

http://www.olympuscanada.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_downloads.asp?id=1700&os=w

http://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/digitalcameras/pen/pen-f.html

It seems focus bracketing is a feature of Olympus' top end range, the OM-D series only. I don't know about Panasonic but I do know that the Olympus lenses that support focus stacking only work with several Olympus lenses only.
Both my OM-D E1 and OMD-E5mkii work great with focus bracketing but only the OM-D E1 (and the OM-D E1 mk ii I'm sure) does focus stacking. My older OM-D E5 first gen does neither.

The 60 is a joy with focus stacking. I love the technology.

Jun 23, 2017 at 02:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DanC.Licks
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

Focus bracketing is enough! Stacking is so easy to do on the computer and with much more control.

Jun 23, 2017 at 04:18 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

Pavel wrote:
I double checked and the Pen-F's make no mention of neither focus stacking nor focus bracketing, and the newest firmware update does not support it neither.

http://www.olympuscanada.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_downloads.asp?id=1700&os=w

http://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/digitalcameras/pen/pen-f.html

It seems focus bracketing is a feature of Olympus' top end range, the OM-D series only. I don't know about Panasonic but I do know that the Olympus lenses that support focus stacking only work with several Olympus lenses only.
Both my OM-D E1 and OMD-E5mkii work great with focus bracketing but only the OM-D E1 (and the OM-D E1 mk ii I'm sure) does focus stacking. My older OM-D E5 first gen does neither.

Maybe you should look further before making a misleading statement. Focus bracketing works the same on my Pen F as it did on my E-M5 II, E-M1 II, and E-M1 I. Check page 92 of the Pen F manual on setting the parameters

Jun 23, 2017 at 05:28 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

That's nice to see that's a feature. If you actually read what I wrote rather than infer what I mean, I said the Olympus makes no mention of it on their site, it's not listed in the features list, nor is it a firmware update. Reading to page 92 on the manual of a camera I don't have is a bit above reasonable when looking into someones inquiry.

Nice that they include it. Perhaps you should send them an email and suggest that they advertise the feature - since they make plain mention of it for their pro cameras.

Does it do focus bracketing only or focus stacking as well?

Cheers.

Jun 23, 2017 at 09:05 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

Pavel wrote:
That's nice to see that's a feature. If you actually read what I wrote rather than infer what I mean, I said the Olympus makes no mention of it on their site, it's not listed in the features list, nor is it a firmware update. Reading to page 92 on the manual of a camera I don't have is a bit above reasonable when looking into someones inquiry.

Nice that they include it. Perhaps you should send them an email and suggest that they advertise the feature - since they make plain mention of it for their pro cameras.

Does it do
...Show more

Bracketing only, only the E-M1's do the stacking, AFAIK

Jun 23, 2017 at 09:22 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

Well while I like stacking for when I'm experimenting because it's all done in the camera, the bracketing is the thing really for more serious results. It gives more options and control and I'd hate life without it for some landscapes and of course still life and Macro not on the move.

So I don't consider that lack of stacking any serious liability, especially when one factors in that the stacking only works with a small number of lenses, whereas bracketing works with all autofocus lenses. The question then still might be - how well can one interchange brands bodies and lenses between Olympus and Pani, for the focus bracketing. I've got one Panasonic lens left, maybe I'll give it a try.

Jun 23, 2017 at 09:50 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

Pavel wrote:
Well while I like stacking for when I'm experimenting because it's all done in the camera, the bracketing is the thing really for more serious results. It gives more options and control and I'd hate life without it for some landscapes and of course still life and Macro not on the move.

So I don't consider that lack of stacking any serious liability, especially when one factors in that the stacking only works with a small number of lenses, whereas bracketing works with all autofocus lenses. The question then still might be - how well can one interchange brands bodies and
...Show more

I agree, having both bracketing and stacking features, I still prefer to bracket and then stack later. This allows me to discard to images that don't fit into the mix...most often those that go beyond my subject and give too much in-focus to the background.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:17 PM
ehwojo

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which cameras support Focus Bracketing?

Thanks again...

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:21 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password