New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

srimmey

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

I was planning on hitting up the painted hills early and setting up before sunrise. Any ideas and what it will be like for parking and tripod space I'm thinking crowds are going to be intense. Should I call ahead to the parks service and ask a ranger?

Jun 18, 2017 at 07:56 PM
jdc562
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

From what I'm hearing, you should probably arrive on-site a couple months ahead of time with plenty of food and water. Then don't budge until after the eclipse.
A photographer told me he had just reserved a Motel 6 near the line of totality for $300/night; another said he reserved his motel room on the line for $600/night. Overhearing this conversation, a member of our local astronomy group reminded us that the band of partial eclipse is very wide. So, I'm thinking I will start scoping areas in the band that will provide interesting framing/composition possibilities and are likely to have clear skies on the day of the eclipse.

Jun 18, 2017 at 08:14 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

I'll be in the vicinity, but plan to avoid Painted Hills the day of the eclipse. My guess is it will be a zoo.

Jun 18, 2017 at 09:16 PM
Don George
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

Just a note of interest. I had a conversation with a business owner in Jackson, Wyoming. He said they expect 275k people in the valley for the eclipse. Everything is booked within 200+ miles and people are now renting rooms in their homes for 1,000 a night. I bought a hat from the visitor center showing the eclipse and the date. That's as close As I'll get

Jun 19, 2017 at 02:02 AM
srimmey

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

I kind of figured it would be a zoo but at 10ish in the morning it would frame nice ato 150-200mm behind the hills. I was also thinking of the kiger gorge overlook which would be much less populated. Dee wright would be amazing but again...zoo. I will make some calls tomorrow to the ranger station and pass on what I know.

It's important to remember that this will provide a VERY unique lighting condition with the sun higher in the sky giving off golden hour lighting. This means soft even light over subjects that would normally be only sillouetted during a sunrise/sunset

Jun 19, 2017 at 03:45 AM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

Srimmey, Your post prompted me to look for lodging in the vicinity of the totality band. I looked along the path from Oregon to Nebraska. Consistent with Don's info, on Travelocity, nearly all places were booked. The few with room availability ranged from $600+ to $1200+, per night, and most of these were plain little motels that normally run about $60/night. I'm not willing to risk that kind of money on being clouded out, plus I figure plenty of other people will be getting totality images much better than I will get. So I've switched back to my plan A of photographing the partial eclipse in prime, picturesque surroundings. I'll use the money I save to get my few minutes of high drama some place else.

By the way, a simple Google search will give you just about every eclipse detail you will need for any location in the Continental U.S.: time of start, peak, and end, duration, percent, etc. There are some very informative maps, tables, and calculators out there. It looks like every place in the Continental U.S. will see more than a 50% eclipse at the peak. Most of you already know there are a number of photographers' apps to give you the precise azimuth and elevation of the sun at any time of day; so, you can predict very well which landscape features you can include with the stages of the eclipse.

Jun 19, 2017 at 04:15 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

If you set up before dawn you are probably okay but it will be a zoo. I stopped by the Painted Hills yesterday around noon and the parking lot was about 80% full - so you can imagine what it will be like for the solar eclipse. My guess is the road will be lined with parked cars. FWIW it will be a good background for the eclipse.
Dave

Jun 19, 2017 at 05:09 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

The more I hear, the more I am thinking this will be an event worth skipping. Maybe it's just me, but my eclipse shots never seem to meet my expectations and in the end they just don't ever see the light of day. Maybe this event would be different? I will have to think about it.

Jim

Jun 19, 2017 at 06:37 AM
Etherton
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

Any tips for framing/shooting an eclipse? I've never tried. Any samples/links?

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:18 PM
baker3678

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

I live in Bend, OR, about 45 minutes south of Madras. Madras is just off the center path of totality, gonna be crazy busy. Predictions are that the normal 45 minute drive will take upwards of 8 hours. Probably gonna be similar in the Painted Hills area. We have a population of under 300,000 for all of central Oregon, predictions are the population will double during the eclipse. The roads here are not made for 600,000 people.

Jun 19, 2017 at 02:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tntcorp
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

drone photos would provide a unique perspective of the lighting and the crowds... :')

any operators planning to do this?

Jun 19, 2017 at 02:31 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

JimFox wrote:
The more I hear, the more I am thinking this will be an event worth skipping. Maybe it's just me, but my eclipse shots never seem to meet my expectations and in the end they just don't ever see the light of day. Maybe this event would be different? I will have to think about it.

Jim

Your total solar eclipse shots don't ever see the light of day? Jim - you're too funny!

Jun 19, 2017 at 04:03 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

dbehrens wrote:
Your total solar eclipse shots don't ever see the light of day? Jim - you're too funny!

Well... if you can't be good be funny.

Jim

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:23 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

JimFox wrote:

Jim

Eclipse shots are like milky way shots, home-run highlight reels, and Horseshoe Bend shots. Once you have seen one you have seen them all. The world does not need any more :-) This does not mean the above are not awsome to experience, just not worth the time photographing.

Jun 22, 2017 at 06:11 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

Etherton wrote:
Any tips for framing/shooting an eclipse? I've never tried. Any samples/links?

Here you go

:-)

Jun 22, 2017 at 06:14 AM
Craig Collins

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

If you've never seen a total eclipse, it is an almost life-changing event. The perceptual shifts are enough to bring you to your knees. Take it all in and don't get trapped behind some giant camera gear unless you really want that instead of the experience. You might find that a really wide image is more compelling, as it's like a 360 sunset for a few minutes.

Also, don't believe the bullshit about how you must not look at it, except at home on your TV or inside some pinhole camera obscura. A dark filter (a piece of undeveloped film would do fine if there's any around) is enough to watch progression towards totality. But totality is a full on stare with all you got experience.

Jun 23, 2017 at 08:07 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

GroovyGeek wrote:
Eclipse shots are like milky way shots, home-run highlight reels, and Horseshoe Bend shots. Once you have seen one you have seen them all. The world does not need any more :-) This does not mean the above are not awsome to experience, just not worth the time photographing.

I disagree with that comparison. There are a million ways to add variety to Milky Way shots, even Horseshoe Bend shots don't always look the same. But with an Solar Eclipse? It pretty much always looks the same, at least to me.

I guess we all have our own tolerances, but for me, I love being out some where in nature and shooting the stars or the Milky Way in absolute silence. And will my photos of the Milky Way look like others? No, most often not, since I am out shooting the Milky Way with totally different foreground subjects each time. It's too bad you sound a bit soured on Milky Way shots, because personally I get great satisfaction from shooting it.

Jim

Jul 22, 2017 at 07:27 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

Not soured, just indifferent.

Horseshoe bend, Antelope Canyon, Zabriskie Point, The Watchman, Machu Picchu, Mobius Arch, Delicate Arch, Monument Valley... to name just a few - there is always an equally photogenic, nearly desolate and much less photographed location within a 100 mile radius.

As to the Milky Way, the first time I shot it I found it exhilarating. The second+ time? Repetitive... Lying on my back staring at the sky in the middle of nowhere is still spectacular. But that is besides the point.

Yo shots, yo choices
Mo shots, mo choices :-)

JimFox wrote:
I disagree with that comparison. There are a million ways to add variety to Milky Way shots, even Horseshoe Bend shots don't always look the same. But with an Solar Eclipse? It pretty much always looks the same, at least to me.

I guess we all have our own tolerances, but for me, I love being out some where in nature and shooting the stars or the Milky Way in absolute silence. And will my photos of the Milky Way look like others? No, most often not, since I am out shooting the Milky Way with totally different foreground subjects each
...Show more

Jul 23, 2017 at 07:36 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

The eclipse isn't about photography. It's just an event.

The last in the USA was February 26, 1979

But if you miss this one there will be two more:
October 14, 2023 which will be visible from Northern California to Florida.
Then, April 8, 2024 visible from Texas to Maine.

Just like Carly Simon says "Then you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia; To see the total eclipse of the sun. Well, you're where you should be all the time..."

Jul 27, 2017 at 03:14 PM
RobCD
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · August 2017 eclipse - painted hills

ckcarr wrote:
The eclipse isn't about photography. It's just an event.

The last in the USA was February 26, 1979

But if you miss this one there will be two more:
October 14, 2023 which will be visible from Northern California to Florida.
Then, April 8, 2024 visible from Texas to Maine.

Just like Carly Simon says "Then you flew your Learjet up to Nova Scotia; To see the total eclipse of the sun. Well, you're where you should be all the time..."

The 2023 eclipse is not a total eclipse and the US path is Northern California to Texas I believe. 2024 is the next opportunity to see the total eclipse in the US but the path will be much harder to get to for most people.

Aug 05, 2017 at 09:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password