Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · Nikon 58 1.4 - is there anyone that doesn't like it?

mbphoto_2.8
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon 58 1.4 - is there anyone that doesn't like it?

I consider myself a "Mandler" fanboy, owning - and loving - the 50, 90, and 135mm Leica-R lenses he designed.

I actively dislike the Sigma Art 50mm f/1.4 because, in my opinion, it's too "sterile" and the rendering isn't pleasing at all.

I also hate the Nikkor 50/1.4 Ai and 50/1.2 Ai-S, because their bokeh is just plain ugly (and very aggressive/nervous). Sure, they are both sharper than the 58/1.4, but if all you care about is resolution, you're really not yet there in photography.

RE resolution chart comparisons:
I think, lenstip focuses on the center and ends up with "bad" results in the corners, whenever a lens shows field curvature.
The photozone review clearly was performed with the lens being focused on the respective area that was tested (which makes much more sense, unless you shoot brick walls for a living! I always chose the AF point on the eye I focus on).

Jul 26, 2017 at 03:15 AM
jefonyx
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon 58 1.4 - is there anyone that doesn't like it?

I hate it so much...

DSC_7279 by jef Q, sur Flickr

DSC_7334 by jef Q, sur Flickr

DSC_7344 by jef Q, sur Flickr

More seriously, this lens is not an easy lens to shoot with. You really have to check your AF Micro-adjustments and pay attention to the focus plane. Forget the focus recompose technique as I used to do so much with my 50 1.4g and 50 1.8g.

Jul 28, 2017 at 09:49 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.