Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand J...

tsinsf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand Junction?

I'm going to photograph the autumn color in the Ouray area this fall. Lots of dirt roads, probably don't absolutely need AWD/4WD but it would be nice. Is it impossible to rent an AWD vehicle at the Grand Junction airport? Looking in the usual search engines shows nothing. I know that rental car companies don't like renting 4WD and AWD vehicles. Any suggestions?

Jun 18, 2017 at 07:27 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand Junction?

Grand Junction, Colorado? I rented one last year from Hertz. SUV. Maybe they are all rented out already.

Jun 18, 2017 at 07:50 PM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand Junction?

You can rent in Ouray -- several different companies. I've heard that most people 'wheeling in that area have rentals (as opposed to owning their own 4x4s). Google 4wd rental Ouray, Co. If you're thinking of flying to Junction, you may as well look into flying into Durango.

Jun 19, 2017 at 01:43 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand Junction?

Even if you CAN rent a 4WD be sure to check whether you are allowed to use it on unpaved roads.. And make sure your insurance will cover that use.

AWD is pretty common these days. Some rental companies allow you to choose from a bunch of vehicles.

In the SW there are dirt roads and then there are dirt roads. Many are drivable with ordinary cars. Watch out for anything that says high ground clearance required. Conditions may change radically depending of the present (and recent past) weather.

Jun 19, 2017 at 04:10 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand Junction?

Not sure what you'll really need 4WD for. However, it seems just about every tourist here has an AWD SUV vehicle they rented and picked up at the airport. AWD is plenty. Front wheel drive is probably plenty. You have rentals, and then you have the hard core Jeep rentals, like Farabee's and others. But, they might be $195 to $235 a day for a real Rubicon, or about 10x a normal rental.

IMO flying into Grand Junction is a good plan as you are then central to many locations.

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand Junction?

When renting 4WD/AWD be sure to read the contract carefully. With a few exceptions the contract prohibits you from taking the vehicle off-pavement (idiotic, I know, you are renting a Wrangler to do what it does terribly - drive on pavement). If you get yourself in trouble or damage it off-road you will be liable for the full cost. Hertz/Avis/etc will most definitely forbid you from driving off pavement. You will have to look for speciatly rental shops, such as Farabee Jeep Rentals in DVNP, and those will cost you a pretty penny. If you do rent from the common names and take it off road, look out for branches. In the desert you get hardly prickly plants protruding into the vehicle path, leaving easily recognizable scratches in the paint that you will get charged for, at least if the return rep is paying attention.

Jun 20, 2017 at 04:48 AM
tsinsf

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand Junction?

Thanks for the comments. Yes I know about rental car "off road rules". FYI, my auto insurance company (SF) will cover off paved road damage as long as the dirt road you are travelling on is shown on maps. I didn't ask which maps, but the county roads around Ridgway are on all the maps. If you are worried about insurance coverage if you drive off road, talk to your insurance company. I was surprised to find out my company's coverage policy.

Jun 20, 2017 at 05:14 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand Junction?

Actually, if you read the Hertz/Avis policies - it states that you must stay on maintained roads. Says nothing about pavement vs dirt. Also, specifically states that vehicles are not to be used off-road. So, if the dirt road is maintained, you are OK.

Jun 20, 2017 at 06:08 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand Junction?

Front wheel drive is all that is needed for dirt roads. A problem I have with SUV's and Jeeps is that there is not place to put gear where it is secure. With a sedan I have a trunk for the gear that is not in immediate use.

What is a real benefit is having a 4WD vehicle with a transfer case and high and low range gearing. I can crawl along at 1 MPH over rocks and rough terrain and maintain engine RPM's and torque. Easier on the vehicle, your gear, and any people inside the vehicle.

Jun 21, 2017 at 02:41 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is it impossible to rent an AWD or 4WD vehicle in Grand Junction?

elkhornsun wrote:
Front wheel drive is all that is needed for dirt roads.

Depends. In the desert high clearance and 4WD are on my must have list, the latter needed mostly if you are going to be around sand. Would not go out on a sand dune in FWD only.

elkhornsun wrote:
A problem I have with SUV's and Jeeps is that there is not place to put gear where it is secure. With a sedan I have a trunk for the gear that is not in immediate use.

try this

Jun 22, 2017 at 06:04 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password