New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Landscape workshops?

mgmonster

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Landscape workshops?

I am not sure I am posting this in the correct forum, so if it needs to be moved per the moderator, please do so. I am interested in attending a landscape workshop in the near future. I am not a beginner, and I am most interested in learning advanced tips on composition and exposure. I would like to learn how to maximize my time in a location. If any of you have attended such a workshop, please share this information. In addition, if you have attended a workshop that did not meet your expectations, I would like to hear about your experiences.
Thanks for any information......................Jerry

Jun 18, 2017 at 06:51 PM
redford01
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Landscape workshops?

Any of the workshops by Muench Workshops are very good. I have also had very good experiences with Jack Graham and Tom Mackie.

Jun 18, 2017 at 09:00 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Landscape workshops?

http://www.markmetternich.com - our own. Mark moved from Oregon to Florida, but he is running workshops all over the place. Good luck!

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:15 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Landscape workshops?

A workshop is an expensive way to learn composition and exposure techniques...advanced, or otherwise. Camera clubs, courses, lectures, books and online tutorials are more suitable and provide better opportunities for extensive study.

Photography workshops vary greatly. At a minimum most excel at handling the logistics and getting you to the right places at the right times. Some even provide props and human or animal subjects to further enhance the results.

Instruction and assistance also vary. That can be mostly providing opportunities with critique and discussion before or afterwards. It can even include help setting up the tripod and camera and all but pushing the shutter button.

I think you also need to specify where you would like to go and how much you are willing to spend. Few are cheap; some are very expensive. Of course, you can go virtually anywhere in the world.

Jun 19, 2017 at 01:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Landscape workshops?

I've attended a couple workshops led by Gary Hart and Don Smith. They each have separate businesses but often partner with one another. Both are down to earth and easy to get along with.

Gary and Don will spend time on the basics if someone needs a little hand holding, but they're more about getting you to the right place at the right time and helping you improve on what you already know. For instance, Gary challenged me to use a long lens more often and pick out pieces of the landscape rather than always grabbing the wide angle. They also spend time each afternoon on group image review and aren't afraid to offer constructive criticism.

Yes, you can do most of this stuff via video followed by your own practice, and I do a lot of that. My favorite part about the workshops was camaraderie with other photographers and some lasting friendships that were made. It was worth the price of admission, which was quite reasonable.

Jun 26, 2017 at 05:40 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Landscape workshops?

Instead of joining a small tour group, you may want to also consider researching local guides for your destination. I have hired a local guide for individual half or full day 'assistance' a couple times. The price was less than most advertised tours I have seen on the web, and it was just the two of us. Everything was very flexible and tailored to my goals. Obviously, for foreign destinations where you do not know the language, this may not be as practical as domestic.

I was going to be in a park that I did not know and could not scout out in advance. To be where I wanted to be, having a guide get me there in the dark was the only sure way. After the first location we went to a couple more spots on the way back home. It was a great experience.
I'm sure small groups would be ok.
I think, as said above, most landscape photographers that have the basics simply need to be at the right place and the right time, in the right light.

Jun 30, 2017 at 01:44 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Landscape workshops?

Have a look at this thread; also on this forum (so I think you're in the right place!)

My 2 cents: everyone (previous posters in this thread) is correct! There's a lot to be learned about composition and exposure from putting in the time to look at and think about lots of images that you think are great (and then figure out what about the composition and capture makes them great).

But, there's also a lot to be learned from watching and working with an outstanding photographer in the field. In this respect, I have the exact same experience as what Boyan (GroovyGeek) said in the earlier thread. I had the pleasure of participating in a Marc Adamus Oregon workshop earlier this year, and even though I feel pretty comfortable in my own sense of composition and capture, I learned a tremendous amount from seeing how Marc approaches things in the field.

The challenge is to find workshop leaders like that, in addition to Marc (whose workshops are typically sold out as soon as they're announced). An obvious choice (as mentioned by Thomas) would be the other Mark (Metternich). If I were to consider additional workshop leaders for myself, I would think about Max Rive and Ted Gore.

Jun 30, 2017 at 04:43 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Landscape workshops?

I have had the same question. I am an experienced photographer, but not for landscapes. I am looking for workshops that will get me to places under photographic conditions that I cannot readily find myself and give me the kinds of insights that will help me advance in my photography. Less than that I can do myself, much more cheaply.

Workshops to avoid:

1. One thing I have noticed is that some workshops are held in remote locations at high costs, then spend a lot of time teaching "how to use your digital camera." To me, anyway, this is a big waste of money. Dig into the itineraries to see what what you really pay for. I am not interested in paying high prices for fancy resort lodging and hotel seminars.

2. Be sure to read the reviews by previous clients. Some workshop leaders are criticized for spending too much time taking their own pictures and not enough time attending to their paying customers.

3. Look at the results from previous workshops. Some are loaded with the same old trite, tourist views that (a) you probably don't want, and (b) you could easily, and much more cheaply, accomplish on your own.

Workshops I'm seriously considering:

1. Ones with itineraries loaded with interesting field photo schedules and locations, but not hotel seminars.

2. Ones with leaders who are praised for helping their clients one-on-one and otherwise producing a special, worthwhile, experience, including devoting time to their students and not their own photography.

3. Ones whose leaders (a) have portfolios of work that I much admire, and (b) express philosophies of composition, etc., that I also admire.

4. Ones posting workshop results that are unique and beautifully photographed. This includes choice of locations, photo perspectives, time of day, weather/light conditions (e.g., morning mists, alpenglow)--and other demonstrations that the leaders really know the special qualities of their locations and how to photograph them. This is where local, dedicated, old-time guides can easily out-perform the high-budget guides operating out of some distant location.

Jul 02, 2017 at 05:36 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password