Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

ctulhu

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

I was on eBay browsing Fuji lenses. And I asked one seller if the Fuji lenses he was selling were "gray market" or US market lenses.

This was his reply.

Hi
there is no gray market for fuji Lenses , all made in japan, with one year international, warrant, by using serial number on a lens, we sold so many lenses, with no complain, you can see our feedback, from the buyers, who purchased the same fuji lenses, please let me know if you have any other question.
Thanks Naser

Jun 18, 2017 at 08:20 AM
AZ Photo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

I was curious enough to check the warranty terms in the UK and it says under the FAQ:

What happens if I bought the camera somewhere different from where I live? We can repair your camera under the terms of your warranty as long as you have a receipt which shows both the date and country of purchase.

It doesn't specifically says it has to be an authorized dealer but I do wonder if that would make a difference. When I registered the lens I have just bought it asked for the dealer name.

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:39 AM
ab7638
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

This limited warranty does not apply to any
Product purchased outside the U.S. at any time, or Products purchased from a dealer, sub-
dealer, distributor, seller, sub-seller, or otherwise third party which has not been authorized by
Fujifilm to sell the Products within the U.S.

FROM THE FUJI WARRANTY

Jun 18, 2017 at 01:39 PM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

AZ Photo wrote:
I was curious enough to check the warranty terms in the UK and it says under the FAQ:

What happens if I bought the camera somewhere different from where I live? We can repair your camera under the terms of your warranty as long as you have a receipt which shows both the date and country of purchase.

You don't know if the "warranty" repair will be done by Fuji or someone else, nor have any idea how long it will take for the repair.

OP, if the price you see on the website is too good, then it probably is not a good deal!

Jun 19, 2017 at 01:59 AM
AZ Photo

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

PhotoTeacher wrote:
You don't know if the "warranty" repair will be done by Fuji or someone else, nor have any idea how long it will take for the repair.

Is this right? Do you have evidence that Fuji in the UK don't carry out their own warranty repairs?

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:18 AM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

Most times it is a third party contractor that is doing repairs for manufacturers. You can always tell by visiting the actual building.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:51 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

There IS a gray market for Fuji lenses, as there is with all other lens manufacturers. Gray market in North America just means imported from Japan by an entity other than Fujifilm North America Corporation. The item can be made in Japan, have a valid serial, and still be a gray market item based on how it is imported and/or sold.

Honestly if you are buying from a seller on Ebay (or even here on FM), there's really no way to know the journey the item has taken to reach you, and so you should be prepared for the item not to be covered under warranty, even if sold by a so-called "authorized dealer".

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/130103LL1-R2_Gray_Market_Goods_Primer.pdf

Jun 19, 2017 at 03:36 PM
AZ Photo

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

Elisha82 wrote:
Most times it is a third party contractor that is doing repairs for manufacturers. You can always tell by visiting the actual building.

It's a typical multipurpose building in an industrial/office park - tough to tell if repairs are going on inside

Jun 19, 2017 at 08:24 PM
ctulhu

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

Yes. I was aware that there are "gray market" Fuji products available for purchase. - CAVEAT EMPTOR -
I posted this because I wanted to know what other members thought of the seller. Do you guys think that the seller is aware of the difference between US and gray market Fuji ?

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

Just my opinion, but I am confident he is aware if the difference, therefore, I would think his statement to you would constitute fraud.

Jun 20, 2017 at 01:36 AM
PhotoTeacher
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

ctulhu wrote:
Yes. I was aware that there are "gray market" Fuji products available for purchase. - CAVEAT EMPTOR -
I posted this because I wanted to know what other members thought of the seller. Do you guys think that the seller is aware of the difference between US and gray market Fuji ?

Of course he is aware; his "answer' really talks around your actual question. Gray market depends on the conditions of the country's importer; Fuji USA only warrants items sold through its authorized dealers. May be different in other parts of the world though. Living in the U.S., I would not buy from him..

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:44 PM
starlights
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

Keep in mind, most likely you won't need warranty repairs - the warranty is good only for 1 year. Depending on your risk tolerance and the price differential, it may or may not be worth buying Grey market products.

Furthermore, Fuji will not refuse to repair the product anytime during its lifecycle, however you may have to pay for the repairs - perhaps if the grey market product is cheap enough it may justify the risk if the savings can be used towards repairs should they be needed.

After owning the product for one year, its a level playing field between Grey market and regular market items. Grey market products are not inferior items, just that they are meant for a different market / region. One way for the manufacturers to overcome competition generated by currency / different regions.

Jun 20, 2017 at 05:39 PM
westiegrrl

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

starlights wrote:
Keep in mind, most likely you won't need warranty repairs - the warranty is good only for 1 year. Depending on your risk tolerance and the price differential, it may or may not be worth buying Grey market products.

Furthermore, Fuji will not refuse to repair the product anytime during its lifecycle, however you may have to pay for the repairs - perhaps if the grey market product is cheap enough it may justify the risk if the savings can be used towards repairs should they be needed.

After owning the product for one year, its a level playing field between
...Show more

Not necessarily true. In recent years camera manufactures have refused to service gray market equipment even if out of warranty and the owner is willing to pay. Nikon is well known for this behavior. They will not even sell parts to third party repair facilities any more. Basically, if you have a gray market lens or body and it dies in or out of warranty, what you have is a brick. I wouldn't be surprised if Fuji doesn't follow the same policy. I know that Tamron does.

Aug 24, 2017 at 06:07 AM
alba63
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

One has to ask himself how often the "warranty" is really needed.
Since 2001 I owned easily 20 cameras and probably more than 50 lenses.

So in 16 years I had one defect Fuji S3pro (problem unfortunately started while traveling in India) and one defect Zeiss lens (aperture). Both cases happened years ago, since then nothing, and I do not treat my equipment like raw eggs, more like everyday objects of use. I will continue to buy cheap as long as it is possible. New gear looses it's value very quickly, specially in case of cameras, and defects are quite rare.

Aug 24, 2017 at 11:10 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

I'd look carefully at risk/reward.

My problem is that if the savings were substantial enough to make me want to take the risk, I'd worry about why the deal was so good.

I've seen legit sellers offer the "international" version of photo items. The savings have never been significant enough for me to take the risk.

Aug 24, 2017 at 01:44 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

starlights wrote:

After owning the product for one year, its a level playing field between
...Show more

not saying that you aren't right - but can you point me to where you've found this to be true?
Coming from Nikon I know for a fact that not only will they not honor a grey market warranty, they will neither work on it EVER and will not supply parts to any non-authorised repair site. So basically - it's throw it in the trash if one buys a grey market Nikon import, unless the purchaser feels like home repairs.

It also seems that Fuji does not allow refurbished cameras to be sold neither, so they don't seem to have a laissez faire attitude on this point. Just a guess.

I've not heard Fuji make a statement one way or another, but yes, more and more companies will not do repairs on Grey market.

Buying from Ebay from someone overseas is a bad idea from the get go.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:38 PM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji "gray market" yes/no ?

^^ I purchased a grey market xp2. I called Fuji USA about repairs, they said they would repair it at the customers expense. They are not the same as Nikon in this respect. But, if you are being tempted by grey market prices, call Fuji yourself to feel totally comfortable with your decision.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:42 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password