Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Solution for small camera for home video?

J-rad

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Solution for small camera for home video?

While I've never taken much video, my wife and I are expecting our first child in a week and have been talking wanting to record videos - nothing crazy, but something to have vs. only photos.

I have the following cameras: X100F (today, haven't used it yet), E-M1, E-M10. Primary shooter is the X100F (upgraded the T) and don't use the other cameras much unless there's a specific need for reach. I like the size of the Fuji and it's easy to take everywhere without having a separate bag or anything.

But, for video, I know Fuji doesn't get great reviews. What should I consider for video, out of either what I currently have or getting something additional (and small) for video only?

My only requirements are that it's fairly compact so I can easily take it with me, along with the Fuji, and good stabilization. I was initially thinking something like a GoPro or similar. Pros/cons of that? Doesn't look very stabilized without a gimbal or something. Is the X100F an option if I get a small gimbal so I have smooth video? Or is there no way to really stabilize video and stay compact? Would love to just use the Fuji, but don't want shaky video and want it to be passible quality.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:54 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Solution for small camera for home video?

An investment in a GoPro at least means you have a rugged unit for adventures as your kid grows - not to mention when they hit the pool with Dad.

If you can live with the slightly fiddly operation.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:35 PM
J-rad

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Solution for small camera for home video?

Are there compact ways to stabilize it to get smooth video?

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:45 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Solution for small camera for home video?

J-rad wrote:
Are there compact ways to stabilize it to get smooth video?

It's just a skinny handle and small gimbal that goes to the side of the GoPro. As small as you'll get for near pro level stabilization (including the built-in stabilization on the GP5).

Other options include the very compact (RX100 size) Sony A5100 + 16-50 kit lens. A bit less stabilization, but vastly better video quality. Best budget pick.

Next, the RX100 IV/V Great image quality, and OIS + EIS to smooth things out. Nice and small.

Finally, the A6500, which will give you near cinema quality 4K video in any lighting, with dual image stabilization (body + lens). Only thing better is the GH5, which is massive in comparison.

Depends on how much you want to spend and where you'll be shooting. The size increases are roughly equivalent to the quality and features increases. Note that any of these cameras will be fine on a gimbal, as well, for the smoothest video you can get.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:03 PM
J-rad

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Solution for small camera for home video?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
It's just a skinny handle and small gimbal that goes to the side of the GoPro. As small as you'll get for near pro level stabilization (including the built-in stabilization on the GP5).

Other options include the very compact (RX100 size) Sony A5100 + 16-50 kit lens. A bit less stabilization, but vastly better video quality. Best budget pick.

Next, the RX100 IV/V Great image quality, and OIS + EIS to smooth things out. Nice and small.

Finally, the A6500, which will give you near cinema quality 4K video in any lighting, with dual image stabilization (body + lens). Only thing
...Show more

I think the A6500 is out of my price range after I add a lens to it - would like to keep it to ~$800 including a gimbal if possible.

I've been looking into the RX100 IV - seems decently priced used if you find the right one and is super compact. I've read some reports of overheating when shooting 4K, 5 min limit in 4K, and the stabilization isn't as great as in 1080p.

Any opinion on the GX85? Seems small, 4K, dual IBIS with Panny lenses, and pretty cheap used. Downside is I've read 1080p isn't great on this camera.

Jun 19, 2017 at 02:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

J-rad

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Solution for small camera for home video?

On second thought, I could sell my E-M1 and lenses and go for the A6500. What would I need to shoot video with on the A6500 and still keep it compact and not outrageously expensive?

How's the A6500 compare to the E-M1 (mk1) on IQ and IBIS? Seems a bit smaller too.

Jun 19, 2017 at 04:10 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Solution for small camera for home video?

J-rad wrote:
On second thought, I could sell my E-M1 and lenses and go for the A6500. What would I need to shoot video with on the A6500 and still keep it compact and not outrageously expensive?

How's the A6500 compare to the E-M1 (mk1) on IQ and IBIS? Seems a bit smaller too.

A pretty straight exchange​ of IBIS and IQ. You lose a good amount of IBIS (Olympus' is crazy solid), but gain a good amount of IQ (6K downsampling). Especially in low light.

I'd grab a used 16-50 OSS kit lens and a 35/1.8 OSS to start.

Jun 19, 2017 at 04:53 PM
J-rad

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Solution for small camera for home video?

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
A pretty straight exchange​ of IBIS and IQ. You lose a good amount of IBIS (Olympus' is crazy solid), but gain a good amount of IQ (6K downsampling). Especially in low light.

I'd grab a used 16-50 OSS kit lens and a 35/1.8 OSS to start.

Thanks. What would I be gaining video wise with the A6500 over the RX100 IV? Besides interchangeable lens and mic input, would I be gaining a lot on video capabilities/quality? Assuming the IBIS is better.

Jun 19, 2017 at 06:17 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Solution for small camera for home video?

J-rad wrote:
Thanks. What would I be gaining video wise with the A6500 over the RX100 IV? Besides interchangeable lens and mic input, would I be gaining a lot on video capabilities/quality? Assuming the IBIS is better.

Quality is definitely improved the higher ISO you go. I had an RX100 IV, and found the lens to be a bit soft compared to the 28-100 of the I and II, also.

The features​ are petty similar, as Sony doesn't really gimp its lower end offerings. You get 1000fps on the RX100, but only 120fps max on the A6500.

The advantage is heavily based on the extra controls of the A6500, depending on how into video production you are, and the recording limits. Being a smaller body, the RX100 will overheat way sooner than the A6500, which seems to last indefinitely in normal temps.

Jun 19, 2017 at 06:27 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Solution for small camera for home video?

Panasonic GH-5

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:59 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password