Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Traveling w/ Camera Equipment (Insurance, loss, etc).

LinuxHack3r
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Traveling w/ Camera Equipment (Insurance, loss, etc).

So next month my Wife and I are taking a trip to Puerto Rico. I plan on taking a Canon 6D, 24-70mm F/4L IS, and either a tripod or I will buy a tripod while there.

I created this thread to hear thoughts and advice on traveling with photo gear. I hope to be fairly minimalist in everything. I'm going to very likely take the gear in my carry-on to avoid having it checked. We are staying at 2 separate AirBnB places, essentially homes rented out (they seem to be in nice locations of town, from what I can tell). I plan on either having the gear on my personally or keeping it locked in the rental house.

Obviously, lots of people theoretically could come and go from such a rental, and although I'll try my best to avoid any shady part of any town, it's likely we will stick out as tourists in areas that tourists visit. So whether by robbery or theft, I'm interested in insuring what gear I'll take.

This is truly the first trip I have traveled with as expensive gear I'll be taking. As such, I'm decently interested in perhaps some sort of insurance that would protect it. It really would depend on cost/coverage ratio. If I could insure all of it for the week against loss/theft for $50, I'd easily do it for peace of mind. If it were to cost $200, I'd probably chance it.

Is there some sort of service that typically does this sort of thing, or should I contact my homeowners/rental insurance company (Nationwide). I also began to wonder if it could theoretically fall under homeowners insurance already.

Do most people simply chance it? What do semi-professionals/professionals traveling with potentially tens of thousands of gear do? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jun 16, 2017 at 01:14 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Traveling w/ Camera Equipment (Insurance, loss, etc).

You can have a rider attached to your homeowners policy for replacement coverage for electronics. You would need to itemize the inventory and provide serial numbers when available. Also a good idea to keep a photo inventory of your gear in the cloud for documentation should you need it.

Also, you can buy travel insurance for the entire trip and it covers a smaller amount of photo gear from loss. But a homeowner's rider is the the best route for non-professionals.

Jun 16, 2017 at 02:56 PM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Traveling w/ Camera Equipment (Insurance, loss, etc).

Your homeowners policy should cover your basic photography equipment while traveling. Contact your agent and they can tell you for sure. If you use your equipment commercially, then you should get a business policy. Hill and Usher offer specialty photography insurance called Package Choice. Lots of photographers use their insurance.

Jun 16, 2017 at 03:27 PM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Traveling w/ Camera Equipment (Insurance, loss, etc).

Wow. Just spoke with Nationwide (my insurance for auto and homeowners). She said that "Valuables Plus" insurance for up to $2,000 of camera equipment would be $35.00 yearly. That's cheap! Plus there isn't a deductible. Supposedly it covers against loss and theft, so it seems a nice price to pay for peace of mind where I may be leaving my camera unattended in rooms, etc.

I'll probably end up doing exactly this.

Jun 19, 2017 at 09:33 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Traveling w/ Camera Equipment (Insurance, loss, etc).

An advantage of the rider on homeowners insurance is that there is no deductible or a much lower deductible in most cases. Make sure that the policy covers replacement value rather than depreciated value. Make sure it covers you worldwide. Take photos of each piece of valuable equipment and a video clip showing everything. Send an itemized list (spreadsheet) of equipment to the insurance company including serial numbers of camera bodies and lenses. Don't forget computer equipment, printers, paper, ink, etc. You won't lose any of that traveling obviously but in case of a fire or other loss you will have a hard time getting the insurance company to replace all of it without a specific inventory and without the higher deductible.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Traveling w/ Camera Equipment (Insurance, loss, etc).

jharter wrote:
An advantage of the rider on homeowners insurance is that there is no deductible or a much lower deductible in most cases. Make sure that the policy covers replacement value rather than depreciated value. Make sure it covers you worldwide. Take photos of each piece of valuable equipment and a video clip showing everything. Send an itemized list (spreadsheet) of equipment to the insurance company including serial numbers of camera bodies and lenses. Don't forget computer equipment, printers, paper, ink, etc. You won't lose any of that traveling obviously but in case of a fire or other loss you will
...Show more

Yeah, essentially what you are considering a rider on homeowner's is what she quoted me. She said that Nationwide is in the process of changing everything over so that such a policy would be under a detailed provision of homeowner's.

At first I was thinking to only do the $1,500 or $2,000 worth of what I'll be taking with me, but then I realized that I should go ahead and inventory all the camera and electronic equipment and throw it all in there. For what she quoted me, there isn't a deductible. An added benefit should be that a claim shouldn't affect your homeowner's premiums. She said I'd be covered under my current homeowner's insurance stateside but that I'd have to take out the policy being discussed for worldwide coverage.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Traveling w/ Camera Equipment (Insurance, loss, etc).

Your agent should give you a revised copy of your home owners insurance. It should list all your insured gear with serial numbers. Don't take anything verbally. When I add something, I get a separate bill that reflects the changes. Be sure to pay yours in a timely fashion.

Jun 19, 2017 at 07:46 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.