New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · ND filter for 24-70/Canon 6D for Landscapes

LinuxHack3r
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ND filter for 24-70/Canon 6D for Landscapes

I'm looking at getting into landscape photography moreso. I've done a bit in the past but would really like to create some really nice images to print out on decently large size prints.

I'll be using a Canon 6D w/ 24-70 F/4 IS primarily, so it should be 77mm filter size. I have a variable ND filter by Vivitar, although I cannot seemingly find much about this specific one online unless it is this one:

https://www.adorama.com/vvvndx77.html

All it says on it is : "Vivitar Series 1 HD Pro NDX Variable Neutral Density Filter 77mm 0720511"

I hope to play around with this filter some when my lens comes in anytime over the next few days. What I'm trying to figure out before my trip is whether or not to purchase another ND filter, either fixed or variable. I hope to use the ND filter to achieve the following:

1) Longer exposures of water, ocean, etc
2) Greater dynamic range/stunning skies
3) Possibly use for the eclipse coming later this year.
4) Whatever else you all tell me it's good for!

So, I suppose I'm interested in what to start with? Is a variable good to play with or should I shoot for one of the fixed ones that people typically stack, etc? I'd like to keep my gear for my trip as minimal as possible.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:18 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ND filter for 24-70/Canon 6D for Landscapes

Hi Linux (What's your name?),

I use 3, 6, and 10 stop ND from B+W, they have a warm color cast. The 3 stop is pretty neutral, but the 6 and 10 have a warm cast that can be changed with a white balance adjustment.

1. Longer exposures of water, ocean, clouds, etc is what I use it for, but I've narrowed down when I'd like to do a long exposure to only a few instances. When I first got the NDs I would use them to make the water glassy, or have the clouds move, but I now only do that with an intent that matches the mood of the photograph. If you're going to do this I suggest taking a range of shutter speeds and determining what you like rather than just break them out without much forethought.
2. Greater dynamic range: This isn't what NDs do. They only decrease the amount of light and cannot extend the dynamic range of your sensor.
3. Use for the eclipse: NO! You will fry your sensor and your eyes. You need a solar filter which removes a greater spectrum.
4. See number 1. NDs are not magic.

I haven't used variable NDs, but they are just two polarizers together and can show artifacts if they are low quality.

Tim

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:32 PM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ND filter for 24-70/Canon 6D for Landscapes

Timmeh wrote:
Hi Linux (What's your name?),

I use 3, 6, and 10 stop ND from B+W, they have a warm color cast. The 3 stop is pretty neutral, but the 6 and 10 have a warm cast that can be changed with a white balance adjustment.

1. Longer exposures of water, ocean, clouds, etc is what I use it for, but I've narrowed down when I'd like to do a long exposure to only a few instances. When I first got the NDs I would use them to make the water glassy, or have the clouds move, but I now only do
...Show more

1) Yeah, since I have almost zero experience with time lapse photography of moving water (river, stream, or ocean), I will simply have to mess around with it. It is for this reason that a set of different ND's or a variable filter seems appealing.

2) Perhaps I worded that wrong (I suppose I did). What I meant was that it would bring more detail out out skies and clouds, allowing for more detailed/contrasting shots. I'm not wrong about that, am I?

3) Ok, that's a no go. I haven't looked much into this, but one thing I'm curious about is how so so many people claim shooting the eclipse will damage your sensor but how often is it that I/anyone else shoots photos of sunsets/sunrises and they are fine? I didn't mean a time exposure of the eclipse, nor an extremely tight photo of the eclipse, but rather a wide landscape shot if I can showing the landscape and the eclipse in one photo. Is it that some people do long exposures of the eclipse, or that they are using long telephoto lenses to shoot it, that their sensors can be damaged from doing so? What separates eclipse photography from normal sunrise/sunset/landscape photography?

4) You got me. I just generally meant that there are different methods to using ND's. For example, I love the extreme time lapse photos of urban places by which everyone completely disappears from the shot, as shown here:

http://www.carolinemaryan.com/improve-your-photography/its-magic-making-people-disappear/

So I simply meant that there are various techniques I haven't tried nor possibly even heard of that an ND is used.

Bonus) Thanks for telling me how Variable ND's work! I wondered how it worked, but now it makes sense that it is simply two polarizers together that limit light dependent on how they line up.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:48 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ND filter for 24-70/Canon 6D for Landscapes

Take it to the Gear Forum.

Jun 16, 2017 at 03:09 PM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ND filter for 24-70/Canon 6D for Landscapes

I see, is this section more for actually posting landscapes?

If so, my bad!

Jeffrey wrote:
Take it to the Gear Forum.

Jun 16, 2017 at 03:31 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ND filter for 24-70/Canon 6D for Landscapes

Not that bad, just a learning experience. Yes, this place is for posting and discussing images.

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.