New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · LAB Color Mode?

Coltrane
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LAB Color Mode?

While I have worked in Photoshop for many years, I've never investigated the LAB color mode until recently. I've tried it on a handful of photos and find the results quite interesting. Since I'm new at this, I was wondering if any FM members have extensive experience using LAB? Are there certain types of photos that work better with LAB than others? Also, from your experience, are there any tips or recommendations that you would give someone just getting used to this color mode? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:50 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LAB Color Mode?

Lab is perhaps the most powerful color space you can work in but it's also more of a sledgehammer with not nearly the finesse of RGB or CMYK. The two best resources regarding Lab color are Dan Margulis' two books on Lab. I recommend the first one The Canyon Conundrum to start with, which will give you the tools with which to work effectively and hopefully help you understand when to use Lab and when not to.

Jun 16, 2017 at 01:51 PM
John Wheeler
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LAB Color Mode?

Hi Cadaver

One important factor is that before switching in to Lab mode, if you are already not in 16 bit mode, I suggest you to switch to 16 bit mode. You run the risk of posterization and banding because "a" and "b" color channels are quite wide compared to standard RGB editing color spaces. The banding does not occur on all images remaining in 8 bit mode except for the ones already prone to banding such as slowly varying gradients.

Just a suggestion

Jun 16, 2017 at 08:02 PM
Coltrane
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LAB Color Mode?

John, thanks for the tip. The few times I've tried LAB, I have used 16 bit, and I will continue to do so to avoid banding. Peter, thanks for the book recommendation. I'll definitely pick up a copy of Canyon Conundrum. Seems like his book is pretty comprehensive, so I'm sure I'll find it a good learning tool. Any additional advice or recommendations while using this color mode is appreciated!

Jun 17, 2017 at 07:29 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LAB Color Mode?

Just get the book. That is the single best book I've ever seen on ANYTHING to do with digital color correction. I've been using Ps for over 22 years now and I had more "lightbulbs" go off while reading that than any other book. The great thing about it is that it's structured so that every chapter has a beginner and and an advanced section so you won't get overwhelmed. I think I ended up reading and re-reading it at least half a dozen times if not more, and still go back for reference every now and then.

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:19 AM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LAB Color Mode?

If you like to learn via video, check out lynda.com. They have several videos on PS Lab mode, including a whole series by Deke McClelland. Just go to the site and type "photoshop lab" in the search box. A one month trial is free, and a one month subscription is less than the cost of Dan Margulis's book. Not that it's not a good book. I can see my copy of the first edition on the bookshelf right now!

Jun 17, 2017 at 03:54 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LAB Color Mode?

DanBrown wrote:
If you like to learn via video, check out lynda.com. They have several videos on PS Lab mode, including a whole series by Deke McClelland. Just go to the site and type "photoshop lab" in the search box. A one month trial is free, and a one month subscription is less than the cost of Dan Margulis's book. Not that it's not a good book. I can see my copy of the first edition on the bookshelf right now!

And before you pay for a subscription, check your local library. My library card allows me to access Lynda.com for free, and that includes many LR and PS tutorials.

Jun 17, 2017 at 06:42 PM
Coltrane
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LAB Color Mode?

Dan & Fred, thanks. About 8 years ago I was on Lynda for one year where I learned photoshop, so I'm a fan of the website. My library has it as well, so I'll check out the tutorials on LAB. I also just ordered a cheap copy of The Canyon Conundrum as well so I should have enough to entertain me for a while.

Jun 18, 2017 at 03:19 PM
Ulff
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LAB Color Mode?

While I can second the recommendation of The Canyon Conundrum, I haven't been enough convinced of the Lab-workflow to regularily integrate it in my workflow. There are many potential reasons to work in Lab, but the main reason for switching is IMO to enable an independent processing of lightness and color. In order to do this, I find it much easier and often more flexible to just work in layer modes like color, hue or luminance. The results are IMO not significantly different and you don't have to switch (and switch back) in another color mode. That said, I probably haven't explored the Lab-possibilites enough to prevent me from changing my mind in the future...

Jun 20, 2017 at 03:27 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LAB Color Mode?

Adam Block, a well know Astro photographer who sells an amazing pp video tutorial, uses LAB for bringing out the blues in galaxies. The video demonstrating this technique is impressive.

Jun 20, 2017 at 07:32 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.