Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

evertdoorn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

hi everyone, first post ever in this particular bit of the forum

A question for you iMac users out there: currently I'm using a MB pro retina (15 inch, 2012). I notice that I might need a bit more power, especially when doing multiple tasks (large LR export running in the background while doing other stuff for example). FYI, I have an Eizo 27 inch hooked up to the laptop and I intend to keep using this, since I love the accuracy and detail in dark bits this monitor can display.

My options are these:
- get the latest MB pro as an upgrade and keep going like it is.
- wait for a new Mac Pro (maybe next year?) which does sound quite ideal since it allows me to just hook up the Eizo and will last me many years (provided they make a version that can be upgraded). MB pro will still serve fine many years as option for taking on location. This machine might be overkill in terms of power though.
- final option: the new iMac (regular one; not the pro). The 27 inch is not an option, since I'd still like to keep the Eizo (I know the latest iMac screens are great, it's just that I prefer the calibrating options and accuracy the Eizo gives me) and two 27 inch screens on my desktop is just...well....a lot.

However, the 21.5 inch might be an option. This could act as second screen (the Eizo would be the priority screen for editing) so I'd have a dual monitor setup. Provided, that is, the iMac can easily drive two screens without giving up much performance. I'd order one with the fastest CPU (3,6ghz quad core) and 32gb of ram. I get to keep the MB pro as option for on location.

What would your suggestions be? And does anyone has experience with using external screens hooked up to their iMacs?

Jun 16, 2017 at 04:30 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

evertdoorn wrote:

A question for you iMac users out there: currently I'm using a MB pro retina (15 inch, 2012). I notice that I might need a bit more power, especially when doing multiple tasks (large LR export running in the background while doing other stuff for example). FYI, I have an Eizo 27 inch hooked up to the laptop and I intend to keep using this, since I love the accuracy and detail in dark bits this monitor can display.

My options are these:
- get the latest MB pro
...Show more

I cant say for sure but I think I've seen people with 2nd screen rigs on iMacs (may be worth asking in an apple store etc) . but one thing i will say is why the 21" and then loading it with 32gb of ram ? your compelled to pay the high apple price for the ram as its not a user replaceable thing in the 21" . just looking at the apple price it looks like its a $600 upgrade .
so if you go for the i7 with 32gig and a 512 SSD (don't get the fusion in a 21" as I think that still uses a slow 5200rpm drive ??) your into it for $2600
going for the i7 (which is 4.2ghz) option on the 27" with the same 512 SSD is 'only" $100 more . and then you go to OWC for the rest of the ram where for approx $300 you can get 32gig . in fact you can get 2x16gig sticks for only a little bit more and have 40gig (always best to keep you apple ram just in case you need to warranty the machine) or save some $$$ and just get 2x8gig sticks at $150 and you'll have 24gig

heck unless your doing some intensive stuff that really uses the i7 you could save yourself the $200 and have a 3.8ghz i5

just my 2 cents though

Jun 16, 2017 at 07:09 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

good point Ian, that hadn't come to mind yet!

Jun 16, 2017 at 07:40 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

evertdoorn wrote:
good point Ian, that hadn't come to mind yet!

yeah I know you said you didn't want another 27" on your desk but id actually think they could go well together

Jun 16, 2017 at 08:10 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

evertdoorn wrote:

My options are these:
- get the latest MB pro
...Show more

If you value using the rMBP as a laptop sometimes then I'd go with a new 2017 rMBP. I bought the top end late-2016 rMBP (with touchbar) when it was released last year. I benchmarked it for LR 1:1 preview generation and it matched and even slightly out performed my then top of the line 2015 27" iMac that had the fastest processor in it (of course now the updates are out and likely faster still). I ended up returning it and sticking with my maxed out 2012 rMBP as I couldn't justify the CDN cost ($4500 with Apple Care) of the new laptop vs my existing 2012. But that is not to say that for your use, using it as the main editing computer that it wouldn't be worth it. I had my iMac as my main computer already and could make due with my 2012 on vacation.

Here are Apple's specs for external monitors on the 21 and 27 iMacs, looks like they will run your monitor no problem. The interesting thing is the 15" rMBP with touchbar can actually support more monitors than the iMacs because they have 4 TB3 ports.

iMacs

15 rMBP

Jun 16, 2017 at 08:43 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

interesting!

One reason I'm considering the imac is that I have the idea it handles load better; sometimes my current mb pro gets hot and fans are speeding up and the system slowing down... although an imac is also a tight housing, I suppose it's a bit better than a mb pro.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

If I am understanding you correctly, I think it would be a waste to buy an iMac with an overpriced built-in monitor just to plug in your better Eizo monitor and use that instead. If that is your plan, I think a laptop would be more useful (then at least you get something portable as well) but you still can't get 32GB RAM in the MBP and as arbitrage mentioned the prices are crazy. Maybe stick with what you got until they release a MBP more suitable for photo editing? You could also build a high powered computer to use with that great monitor for pretty cheap, and use that as your editing rig, then keep your MBP for when you are on the go.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:19 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

yeah waiting for a new mb pro which can handle 32gb (how crazy expensive will that be?) is also an option, and going the new mac pro route as well.

I would not necessarily mind a dual screen setup, and in fact might finally take advantage of that (LR displaying the large full screen pic on the imac?) but two 27 inch screens I would find too bulky on the desk (the eizo is quite large), hence the idea of a 21.5 inch imac - this would not take up too much desk real estate

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:27 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

Ok , next question

Do you really (I mean REALLY) need 32gig of ram ?

Lightroom isn't a ram eater anyway . If your doing large images in PS with tones of layers then maybe but most 'normal' image editing isn't going to get close . When I got my iMac 4 years ago I was all set on getting more ram but I held off thinking I'd get it later and it's still only got the stock 8gig in it .
Heck my MacBook Air does well enough in photoshop with only 4gig (my previous surface pro would crash when doing stuff in LR and PS so maybe OSX handles things better as well)

I'm all for getting more spec than you need as it staves off that upgrade a bit longer (no I didn't REALLY need the i7 when I got my iMac ) but sometimes it seems people max stuff out just for the heck of it . But then if you really feel the need to max the ram then the 27inch will go to 64gb now

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:11 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

well, not necessarily require it right now, but next year I see a high mpix dslr or mirrorless in my future. I do edit in LR with 16 bit tiff and layers a lot but to be honest I don't know how much RAM you need for having a few 50 - 70 megapixel images open in 16 bit editing.
Also, might do more video editing in the future. So, it's more of a future-safety requirement.. I know the 27 inch has an easy upgrade path to more RAM and it seems the 21.5 can technically do it, but you'd lose warranty.

edit: with LR open and PS (no large files open), activity monitor says about 11gb of memory is used

Jun 16, 2017 at 02:27 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New iMac 21.5 inch with external monitor?

16GB is the minimum for RAM these days, and for an editing machine I would definitely go with 32GB. With the way people browse the web now with so many tabs, it's not hard to use 10GB+ of RAM just doing that, never mind everything else. I have 16GB on my current PC, I regularly max it both in Photoshop and out, and you don't need to be using layers heavily to do so. RAM is so inexpensive, it's a no-brainer to get 32GB. 32GB of quality RAM these days costs around ~$200 USD - I see that Apple charges $600 USD for just 24GB of RAM in the iMac though which is a hilarious ~400% premium.

Jun 16, 2017 at 03:26 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.