New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Intro to IR

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Intro to IR

So I decided to hop on Scott's coattails and ride that sweet,sweet IR train to see what it's all about.

And I LOVE it! Had my first go outside with it today and I've got a good handful of pics to act as cannon fodder for knocking out a decent workflow to process IR images. Lots of directions that you can take for sure.

I wanted to put up a quick couple color shots to see how the first steps are going. I'll have a lot more to come from earlier, and I'm sure that there will be more to come.

C&C please! I think 2 might be overall a bit too blueish.

Jeff

Jun 16, 2017 at 02:34 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Intro to IR

Welcome to the world of IR ... opens up a whole diff realm.

Here's a couple quick ones, but as you know ... all bets are off as to what is "normal", once you go into the realm of what we "normally" can't see.

Jun 16, 2017 at 07:18 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Intro to IR

RustyBug wrote:
Welcome to the world of IR ... opens up a whole diff realm.

Here's a couple quick ones, but as you know ... all bets are off as to what is "normal", once you go into the realm of what we "normally" can't see.

You ain't lying!! S&P to taste takes on a whole new meaning, right??

I really like how you handled the cast in the first rework - selective work to lower the blues elsewhere?

Thanks Kent!

Jeff

Jun 16, 2017 at 07:24 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Intro to IR

A couple of quick thoughts Jeff. I think IR works well for "cemetery" shots. There's something unworldly and surreal about cemeteries that IR accentuates.

I'd suggest lightening the front of the Vashon monument as I'd like to be able to more easily read the lettering.

That staircase in the second photo is architecturally beautiful. When composing, you might have weighed that more heavily and moved your camera slightly left to include more of it. The open field on the right does not hold my attention the way the staircase does.

Steve

Jun 16, 2017 at 08:39 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Intro to IR

eeneryma wrote:
A couple of quick thoughts Jeff. I think IR works well for "cemetery" shots. There's something unworldly and surreal about cemeteries that IR accentuates.

I'd suggest lightening the front of the Vashon monument as I'd like to be able to more easily read the lettering.

That staircase in the second photo is architecturally beautiful. When composing, you might have weighed that more heavily and moved your camera slightly left to include more of it. The open field on the right does not hold my attention the way the staircase does.

Steve

Thanks for the comments, Steve! I found that IR does work quite well in the cemetery. What excites me the most is that generally the hours that this [AMAZING] location is open does not line up with the best light available. Shooting in IR should allow me to get some really fun shots there.

I was on the fence with how much to bring up the front of the Vashon pic. What caught my eye was how the light was catching the top portion of the monument and how she stood against the sky/clouds. I'll fiddle some more and see if I can make it readable without it distracting too much.

So as far as the staircase goes - it is indeed beautiful! It has a mirroring stairway on the other side as well. I agree with you that the grass doesn't have MUCH to offer, but I could argue that it just adds a bit of negative space. You still have the flow of the railing taking you up the trees and over to the right. In all honesty I was more focused on putting the IR effects through the wringer so I included more grass/foliage than stairway. Plus there was a pregnant woman doing laps on the other stairway so my comp options were kinda limited to begin with

I have older pics of the stairway proper, but I think I'd like to try it again now that I've got the UWA to play with.

I appreciate the feedback!

Jeff

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:49 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Intro to IR

Welcome aboard the IR Coat Tails!
Looks like plenty of fun already and a very fast learning curve.
First looks great! I like the second monument as part of the comp.
Kent did a nice job on the color cast issue.
These casts are hard to anticipate sometimes, with, to me at least, some unpredictability on when IR reflectivity and absorption play out in different parts of the image.

Jeff: if you don't mind, I would like to know a brief summary of your workflow as you post these.

And happy to review mine.

Scott

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Intro to IR

sbeme wrote:
Welcome aboard the IR Coat Tails!
Looks like plenty of fun already and a very fast learning curve.
First looks great! I like the second monument as part of the comp.
Kent did a nice job on the color cast issue.
These casts are hard to anticipate sometimes, with, to me at least, some unpredictability on when IR reflectivity and absorption play out in different parts of the image.

Jeff: if you don't mind, I would like to know a brief summary of your workflow as you post these.

And happy to review mine.

Scott

The casts are indeed a speedbump to the ol workflow, that's for sure. It seems that every editing session I'm learning something new with how to handle these kind of pictures.

High level workflow:

1) Import as DNG (in case I want to use the custom profile in LR) to LR
2) Determine whether to channel swap (if not, process in LR)
3) If so, swap R/B in PS
4) Determine whether going with mono or false color
5) Determine hue/sats for both tones
6) Address color casts
7) Finish off in PS or LR
8) Export

I'm open to learning any tips or tricks that you may have!

Jeff

Jun 17, 2017 at 02:09 PM
keithandersonc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Intro to IR

Sorry for my other post. It looks like you have blue sky here.

For a lot if ir black and white looks good. For others play with lots of sliders until something cool happens.

Jun 23, 2017 at 06:57 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Intro to IR

keithandersonc wrote:
Sorry for my other post. It looks like you have blue sky here.

For a lot if ir black and white looks good. For others play with lots of sliders until something cool happens.

No worries, Keith!!

Still learning the ropes and playing with what works.

Lots of possibilities and potential directions to take!

Jeff

Jun 23, 2017 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.