New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

"Olympus to slow down camera releases"

Wilbus
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-olympus-will-slow-down-the-release-cycle-of-their-cameras/

Interesting rumor actually and an FT4 at that.

Personally I don't mind. We've gotten so far in the camera tech that almost any mid to high end camera on the market today is more then enough for most people as far as picture quality goes.

Jun 16, 2017 at 05:08 AM
DanC.Licks
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

"The focus will be on firmware updates and on lens releases."
I think that is SMART!

Jun 16, 2017 at 06:31 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

Yeah I think so too! If they can upgrade and maintain high standard and new inovations with upgrades that is great. The last few major updates to the E-M1 made it a whole new camera, hopefully they can do the same with the Mk II as well as the E-M5 and E-M10 series as well as the PEN-F.

Jun 16, 2017 at 07:23 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

I believe Olympus can do significantly more to improve the AF going by what Sony had done with the A9. In that regard I cannot wait for them to release the next iteration of the E-M1 or new flagship along the lines of the A9. The Mk II is already a speed demon but AF is not quite there yet. If they can improve the AF via a firmware upgrade that would be amazing but otherwise they need to come up with something better than the E-M1.2 ... sooner rather than later - to satisfy the bird shooters.

Jun 16, 2017 at 02:29 PM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

I do think they've said they are working on af improvements in firmware, I hope that comes soon together with a smaller single point.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:33 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

See K-H's post:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1465619/26#14076082

Bobg657 wrote:
I do think they've said they are working on af improvements in firmware, I hope that comes soon together with a smaller single point.

Jun 17, 2017 at 04:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JPTrunck
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

I have no problems with a slow down in camera releases. The E-M1 Mk2 is a great camera "as is". Firmware upgrades will make it even better. Concentrating on new lenses is better as well. The current Pro line is great, but we still need a longer tele (I photograph mainly wildlife). Adding Pro primes is OK too.

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:53 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

bobbytan wrote:
I believe Olympus can do significantly more to improve the AF going by what Sony had done with the A9. In that regard I cannot wait for them to release the next iteration of the E-M1 or new flagship along the lines of the A9. The Mk II is already a speed demon but AF is not quite there yet. If they can improve the AF via a firmware upgrade that would be amazing but otherwise they need to come up with something better than the E-M1.2 ... sooner rather than later - to satisfy the bird shooters.

I agree with you Bobby.
I think the camera makers can slow down once they have achieved a silent global shutter at 1/300s.
The A9 is halfway there.
The E-M1II has a ways to go, 5x to be exact.

K-H.

Jun 17, 2017 at 03:36 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

JPTrunck wrote:
I have no problems with a slow down in camera releases. The E-M1 Mk2 is a great camera "as is". Firmware upgrades will make it even better. Concentrating on new lenses is better as well. The current Pro line is great, but we still need a longer tele (I photograph mainly wildlife). Adding Pro primes is OK too.

Yes, how about a wide prime. Say 7ish.

Jun 25, 2017 at 04:04 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

bobbytan wrote:

Are there enough bird shooters in the m4/3 market though that would be willing to throw down $2000+ for yet another camera coming right off the heels of the last $2000 camera ?

So many people had a fit when Olympus said the mkII was going to be a $2000 camera, though many did break down and buy one. How many of those people are then going to be willing to sell their MKII, likely for a pretty big hit, and go buy another camera, which may cost even more than the mkII ?

I'm not saying there isn't some demand, and they obviously would sell some, but would they really sell enough to recoup the R&D, production cost etc ? Assuming they've even broken even on the mkII at this point....

On top of birding being a niche into itself, birding with m4/3 (or any system) is a niche of a niche

You've got so many birders out there with Nikon D500's and the excellent (though heavy) 200-500 lens which is a fantastic bargain. You'll surely have some folks say they will go for Sony's A7III which will cut into the market share. Some folks seems pretty happy with Fuji's 100-400 and XT2, though its a bit shorter on reach. Have to see if Fuji comes out with a longer fixed prime to fill in that gap in their line-up.

Olympus could certainly build a mkIII super camera, but would it really have that much market share ?

Is there that much demand in the market for greater than mkII performance, when so many people already have an attitude that they wont spend $2000 on a m4/3 sized sensor? I'm not saying that is a correct attitude to have, but informed or not, its how many people feel.

Jun 25, 2017 at 05:06 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

Hi millsart. I see the matter differently.
First Olympus, then Sony have leapfrogged each other with respect to AF and AF tracking capability.
These improved features benefit many different areas of photography besides birding.
A global silent shutter seems also in their sights that IMHO cannot be achieved with current hardware.
I am looking forward to such cameras from Olympus and Sony to better take advantage of my lenses.

K-H.

Jun 25, 2017 at 05:36 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "Olympus to slow down camera releases"

If people are convinced that m43 can be a viable alternative to the DSLR, yes there is a market - and the market is quite big - encompassing not just bird and wildlife shooters but also sports photographers. This is where m43's biggest advantage is - the native long lenses. This is where their future is.

If Olympus and Panasonic can do what Sony has done with the A9 they are well on their way to capturing a larger slice of the wildlife and sports photography market. Even Sony and Fuji will have a hard time competing - as you cannot make FF and APS-C lenses small and light enough compared to m43.

millsart wrote:
Are there enough bird shooters in the m4/3 market though that would be willing to throw down $2000+ for yet another camera coming right off the heels of the last $2000 camera ?

So many people had a fit when Olympus said the mkII was going to be a $2000 camera, though many did break down and buy one. How many of those people are then going to be willing to sell their MKII, likely for a pretty big hit, and go buy another camera, which may cost even more than the mkII ?

I'm not saying there isn't some demand, and
...Show more

Jun 25, 2017 at 06:01 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password