Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6              9       10       end
  

CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]
  
 
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


bushwacker wrote:
see the problem with me is whenever i decided to buy a used one... in the back of my mind the little demon tells me " oh boy that thing is already manhandled who knows maybe the previous owner probably dropped it somewhere and you'll realized after 30-days that something is wrong with your images!!! "

Unless you know personally the seller, it's all good.

yeah sometimes I see Otus lenses that are graded 8 and below... they'd probably abused the lens.


I don't know. With MF lenses from Zeiss, I don't worry about it that much unless it has obvious signs of abuse.

Of course, now the new prices of the classic will be driven down as well.



Jun 23, 2017 at 12:38 AM
_manny_
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


Some more sample shots posted here:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2017/06/22/sample-image-gallery-zeiss-35mm-f1-4-milvus-canon-6d/

Not particularly useful shots for showing much although I quite like the rendering portrait ones. I am warming to this lens - it appears that Zeiss has tried to maintain the strengths of the ZE - it's gentle bokeh - while addressing it's biggest flaw - it's lack of sharpness and clarity wide open.

In optical engineering terms that sort of "middle course", giving one thing without taking away another, is always the most tricky and will explain why the design is so complex and heavy. Whether it will be a commercial success will be interesting to see - I can imagine fine art photographers loving it and suspect it might make a great landscape lens too. However I wonder if from a commercial point of view they might have been better off going for a more "extreme" design one way or the other as the Contax Zeiss was and for example Sigma did. I tend to think of Zeiss lenses as specialist instruments but maybe others do want the ultimate all-rounder.



Jun 23, 2017 at 06:12 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


_manny_ wrote:
Some more sample shots posted here:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2017/06/22/sample-image-gallery-zeiss-35mm-f1-4-milvus-canon-6d/

Not particularly useful shots for showing much although I quite like the rendering portrait ones. I am warming to this lens - it appears that Zeiss has tried to maintain the strengths of the ZE - it's gentle bokeh - while addressing it's biggest flaw - it's lack of sharpness and clarity wide open.

In optical engineering terms that sort of "middle course", giving one thing without taking away another, is always the most tricky and will explain why the design is so complex and heavy. Whether it will be a commercial success will be
...Show more


The person in red T-shirt., first pic on his left background with some containers.. do you see the smudges on the bokeh? [ I don't like that ] it reminds me of Canon 50mm f/1.4


and also like what others say here... even if you have a Zeiss lens it doens't mean you'll produce nice results, you have to learn How shoot each lenses, each one has its own character.





Jun 24, 2017 at 01:08 PM
_manny_
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


I think I see what you're referring to behind the shoulder of the man in the red top. I've never used any version of Canon's 50/1.4 though so can't say exactly!

And of course you're quite right, the photographer makes the photo and it can take a long time to master a certain lens to understand its strengths.



Jun 24, 2017 at 02:56 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


_manny_ wrote:
I think I see what you're referring to behind the shoulder of the man in the red top. I've never used any version of Canon's 50/1.4 though so can't say exactly!

And of course you're quite right, the photographer makes the photo and it can take a long time to master a certain lens to understand its strengths.



don't worry we will see better samples, when one of these FRED MIRANDA [ALT LENS] users started fiddling with it.

and I am sure one of them right now is out in the field abusing and finding its faults.

but right now that's what I've noticed it has smudged bokeh.. but we will see. maybe it's a micro-shake caused by the shooter.




Jun 24, 2017 at 03:18 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


here's a zeiss site , I tried signing up but it requires a lot of Info.


MILVUS 35/1.4 Samples



https://mam.zeiss.com/Redirect.do?urlId=c1wpxcECCM%2BVRmVbRRoSZ3xF9rOXvJKnIzvul8FrJMk%3D#blank



Jun 24, 2017 at 03:24 PM
_manny_
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


I am keen to see more samples but when I click on that link it won't open - could you double check it? Or maybe I am doing something wrong! (Edit - got the link to work thanks, though had already seen those ones. Hope we get some more to see soon.)

And yes you're right, I am excited to see what happens when the alt forum members get hold of this lens.

Not long ago I think the 35mm focal length was often neglected but over the last decade we have seen Canon's 35L II, Zeiss Sony FE 35/1.4, Zeiss ZM35, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Canon 35mm IS, and now two Milvus 35mm lenses - really we are living in a golden age of 35mm lenses!



Jun 24, 2017 at 08:10 PM
wayne seltzer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


From what I have seen so far, excellent color correction, smooth bokeh, but I have not seen the level of sharpness, clarity and pop/ microcontrast as Otus 28. Seems like they did not optimize it for wide open shooting as it gets much sharper stopped down


Jun 24, 2017 at 09:26 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


wayne seltzer wrote:
From what I have seen so far, excellent color correction, smooth bokeh, but I have not seen the level of sharpness, clarity and pop/ microcontrast as Otus 28. Seems like they did not optimize it for wide open shooting as it gets much sharper stopped down



That's what I've noticed... most flickr samples wide open the subject don't pop. Except for Lloyd's.



Jun 24, 2017 at 09:31 PM
wayne seltzer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


Yeah, I think it's bad post processing in a lot of those samples except for Lloyds. Agree we need to see some samples from FM'rs. Sorry, I can't get this lens right now, just bought a APO Telyt 280/4.


Jun 24, 2017 at 10:27 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


wayne seltzer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


Zeiss should send a copy of the lens to FM'rs Phillip Reeve and Peire to shoot some sample images. They would sell a lot more lenses! Maybe Dear Susan will review it soon? Phillipe?



Jun 25, 2017 at 05:07 AM
philber
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


Nothing in the pipeline, sorry. But my assessment of the Milvus is different from yours. I see a look that is really close the previous 35 f:1.4 (and subsequent Zeiss WAs) in that the lens offers a wealth of clues regarding spatial placement, including in minor, out-of-focus subjects. That is where the predecessor shone and outperformed the legendary 21 Distagon in my book. This look, which comes from abundant very small detail, does not provide in-your-face "pop" like the older ZE/ZF 35 f:2.0 would, but is much closer to what Otus does. Looking at LC's pics, I am of the opinion that, once in our/your/my hands, the 3-dimensionality of the new Milvus will actually shine. One other clue in this direction is this. If I look at the Zeiss set of samples, I can immediately pick out the pics shot with the D5, as opposed to more pixel-rich cameras. Very good sign that the lens can show this IMHO.

I will go so far as to say that, in my humble opinion, this sort of lens, very well corrected even if it is not strictly APO, very well built, offering tremendous performance, probably means that we will not see a 35 Otus. My guess is that Otus will remain a "proof-of-capability", low-volume, luxury-image line, where sales don't really matter. But the prestige and technology of which will trickle down to the really-almost-as-good, much less expensive, more robust Milvus. Sort of a original-Maybach Vs Mercedes S-class.



Jun 25, 2017 at 05:27 AM
wayne seltzer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


Darn, I hoped you or Pascal were going to review it soon. Ming has gone 'blad so no hope he will review it. I doubt too that there will be anymore new Otus lenses. Which is good for my bank account!


Jun 25, 2017 at 05:58 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


wayne seltzer wrote:
Darn, I hoped you or Pascal were going to review it soon. Ming has gone 'blad so no hope he will review it. I doubt too that there will be anymore new Otus lenses. Which is good for my bank account!

Just a few days ago, I reread a comment (unfortunately, I can't remember the source) that came out around the time of the Otus 55. It said that 3 Oti were underway, with more in the planning stages. I don't think we've seen the last; I'd be surprised if there isn't an super-deluxe Makro in the works...




Jun 25, 2017 at 06:43 AM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]




wayne seltzer wrote:
Zeiss should send a copy of the lens to FM'rs Phillip Reeve and Peire to shoot some sample images. They would sell a lot more lenses! Maybe Dear Susan will review it soon? Phillipe?



please include me on this list, even a pre-preduction i will take it... And will take a week off.



Jun 25, 2017 at 05:36 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]




wayne seltzer wrote:
Yeah, I think it's bad post processing in a lot of those samples except for Lloyds. Agree we need to see some samples from FM'rs. Sorry, I can't get this lens right now, just bought a APO Telyt 280/4.



imo most FM alt zeiss users know how to handle zeiss files.... And they know how to shoot zeiss lenses. It's like when you hear someone he/she from fm's zeiss alt you already know the images are above average. It's like a trademark with good reputation.



Jun 25, 2017 at 05:44 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


No samples yet?


Aug 18, 2017 at 11:31 PM
bushwacker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


okay from this review...it looks like the bokeh is less softer than the 1.4/35 classic after f/2.8



https://www.ephotozine.com/article/zeiss-milvus-35mm-f-1-4-review-31134



Aug 18, 2017 at 11:40 PM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


I would love to know why Zeiss is producing lenses, especially MF lenses, without any textural feedback on the focus ring. It's pretty basic.


Aug 19, 2017 at 12:54 AM
zhangyue
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · CR: Zeiss 1.4/35 Milvus? [ Now in Zeiss.com ]


FULLY AGREE. I don't like the OTUS focus feeling, too smooth without grip. (Must be the same with milvus)

A classic case cosmetic over function.

nehemiahphoto wrote:
I would love to know why Zeiss is producing lenses, especially MF lenses, without any textural feedback on the focus ring. It's pretty basic.




Aug 19, 2017 at 04:18 AM
1       2       3       4      
5
       6              9       10       end






FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
5
       6              9       10       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password