New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Continuous focus in movie mode

fhammond
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Continuous focus in movie mode

Regardless of whether I'm in AF-C or AF-S, I notice that the A9 continually adjusts focus when in movie mode. Other than changing focus to Manual mode, how do I change that?

Thanks.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:53 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Continuous focus in movie mode

Disable both Pre-AF and Lock-on AF options, one of these might be the reason that knocked you off on your cross tracking test.

Jun 18, 2017 at 02:29 PM
Ryan Pream
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Continuous focus in movie mode

mttran wrote:
Disable both Pre-AF and Lock-on AF options, one of these might be the reason that knocked you off on your cross tracking test.

I just tried that. Neither of those prevents it from focusing in movie mode. You can choose what type of focus it does as well as track objects when using the touch screen, but only switching to manual seems to prevent it from focusing altogether.

Ryan

Jun 18, 2017 at 05:50 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Continuous focus in movie mode

All Sony's that I've used at least are AF-C only in movie mode, unless you set them to MF

I don't think there is a work around, or I've not found one

Jun 18, 2017 at 09:19 PM
Ryan Pream
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Continuous focus in movie mode

A couple options I was just trying:

Focus hold - works in movies so you can temporarily stop focus
AF/MF Ctrl Toggle - If you assign this to a button you can toggle between autofocus and manual focus

With manual focus on, you can also double tap on the LCD screen to get a zoomed in view to aid in manual focus.

Jun 18, 2017 at 09:50 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Continuous focus in movie mode

Good thinking with the AF/MF toggle setting, sounds like a good work around for when you want to stop the camera focusing for a given shot

only bummer is that you'd have to go and change your custom function settings to enable that feature, provided you don't typically use it like that for stills. I know I don't

Though I guess if I know I'm going to be doing some video shooting its a small extra step to be able to gain the ability to have some more control over focus

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:43 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Continuous focus in movie mode

Ryan Pream wrote:
I just tried that. Neither of those prevents it from focusing in movie mode. You can choose what type of focus it does as well as track objects when using the touch screen, but only switching to manual seems to prevent it from focusing altogether.

Ryan

Thank you, Ryan. I don't know anything about movie...just an inquiry to fhammond on his A9 cross tracking test while he has Lock-on AF enabled. The hiccup he observed on his cross tracking test might be caused by this Lock-on AF option. Would like to hear from fhammond to confirm this function.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:49 AM
gianluca78

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Continuous focus in movie mode

You can do spot focus... Start with autofocus, once locked switch automatically to mf

https://youtu.be/Sea2UlqyRc8

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:38 PM
fhammond
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Continuous focus in movie mode

mttran wrote:
Thank you, Ryan. I don't know anything about movie...just an inquiry to fhammond on his A9 cross tracking test while he has Lock-on AF enabled. The hiccup he observed on his cross tracking test might be caused by this Lock-on AF option. Would like to hear from fhammond to confirm this function.

When shooting stills, I have Lock-on AF turned off. My understanding is that it's an older focusing mode that isn't relevant for still photography but is still useful for video.

Jun 20, 2017 at 01:12 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Continuous focus in movie mode

AF/MF toggle is the best way I've found. Throw that on the thumb switch for AF/AE.

Jun 22, 2017 at 08:57 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.