New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Flash

Debit

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash

Been following this thread. Most of my shooting is outdoors. I would like to acquire a flash for outdoor macro work and for occasional indoor photos. Perhaps, I would to also use an off camera flash in the future.. So, would I be better off with a new Yonguo, new Godox, or used Canon 430 iii, or used Canon 580iii? Shooting with Canon 5d Mark iii and Canon 80D.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:23 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash

You get what you pay for I would be looking for used 600ext canon speedlites. The other canon speedlites are nearing the end of their lifecycle i.e. Canon will stop repairing as they run out of parts. That said I've 3 550 exs that work like a charm.

The reason for suggesting the 600 exrt is it has built in radios and you mention off in the future or works indoor most of the time outdoors some times so why not get the radio built in i have pocket wizard radios that's why I have gotten the 600 yet but I've been looking at used ones at a great deal on the for sale pages.

Jun 15, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash

Michael White wrote:
You get what you pay for

This may hold true inside the canon ecosystem but godox pretty much lead the market now at a fraction of the cost.

OP, look at the V860II and radio.

Jun 15, 2017 at 08:52 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash

I've got 4x Canon 580 speedlights, but they're not used now.

I prefer the radio linked Godox TT865 speedlights for their versatility / range which beats the more expensive Canon 600's every time.

And I'm usually not one to go "off brand."

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:28 AM
Jay Ford
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash

Godox made me give up Canon house brand years ago. The combination of high-quality radio control that's part of a whole ecosystem of killer lights, an internal power pack equal to the externals I paid so much for once upon a time and a ridiculously lower price sealed the deal.

Jun 17, 2017 at 04:15 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash

This thread is evil. Am planning to expand my radio Speedlights, but the Nikon tax is onerous. Is there one location to review the full Godox product lineup? I know they OEM to various US retailers (CheetahStand, Adorama), but don't want to chase all over the Net. Of greatest interest to me are the options for radio control and battery power.

Jun 17, 2017 at 06:57 PM
Jay Ford
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash

Yeah, the number of models is confusing. Quick break-down of he newest generation:

V860II - lithium battery, TTL, built-in antennas, TTL for whatever brand you buy (model number is followed by C, N, S, etc).
TT350 - smaller, less powerful version of above
TT685 - AA powered version.
TT600 - Manual only, no TTL, lithium.
All of these can be used as Commander units, controlling the all the latest Godox lights (QT and SK series monolights, AD600, 360, 180, 200, all the speedlights).

V850II - lithium, internal antenna, manual only.

The rest are older units.

Product page:
http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Camera_Flash.html

Jun 18, 2017 at 05:16 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flash

Thanks, Jay, that's perfect for my investigation.

Jun 18, 2017 at 10:48 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.