New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Brooklyn bridge

hk_mtbr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Brooklyn bridge

I have a client paving the bridge next week and they want me to photo their equipment in action. I do a good deal of road construction photography...but not on the Brooklyn bridge :-o

I've been to NYC a few times but never to the bridge or that area. What is the area on each end like regarding security? I usually have a company rep with me but they are not local this time either. Any thoughts would be welcome.

And of course, I'm open to photo location suggestions as well. We discussed a helo but rentals are ~$3k per hour. Since they will be moving I wont know which end of the bridge until I get there the day before to scout.

I'm also trying to gain access (via client/city) to the maintenance areas...maybe from the top??

Any suggestions welcome and thanks!!

Joel

Jun 13, 2017 at 09:50 PM
photoin.nyc
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Brooklyn bridge

It depends on what angle you want to get... The easiest is to shoot from Manhattan Bridge.
As for security, there are NYPD officers at each end of the bridge.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:22 PM
Bassman51

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Brooklyn bridge

The bridge dumps out to city streets (not highways) at either end. The Manhattan side is a plaza area, where there is access to the very popular pedestrian walkway across the bridge. It's right by NYC Hall. The Brooklyn side lands rather far from the span itself. The walkway is higher than the roadway, but the view of the roadway from the walkway is limited.

Assuming the bridge is open, vehicular traffic will likely be very congested. The walkway is also pretty congested - setting up tripods might be a problem.

Can you get into the worksite with your client?

Jun 17, 2017 at 04:59 PM
SwampYankee

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Brooklyn bridge

You can shoot the roadway from walkway but the view will be partially obstructed in the middle third and most of the Manhattan side of the bridge. The Brooklyn side has a long section where the roadway is in full view of he walkway. If you are lucky the crew will be paving this part as you will get a great view of the bridge and Manhattan skyline behind it . Best to work with the crew and photograph from the roadway. The bridge is very popular with tourists and all kinds of camera gear. The walkway will be crowded at almost all times. Also, you share the walkway with cyclist who can be aggressive and unforgiving if you are in their space. As for maintenance areas unless the crew can get you access you will not get in them. NYPD is all over the bridge. They will not be any bother at all unless you are doing something you should not be doing. The absolute best view of the bridge is from the Manhattan Bridge next to it. It is a fair distance off but if you have a long tele, and the crew is paving the side facing the Manhattan Bridge, you might get something unique. The Manhattan Bridge has separate pedestrian and bike lanes and the pedestrian side faces the Brooklyn Bridge. The Manhattan Bridge is much less crowded than the Brooklyn Bridge as only the locals seem to know it's open to pedestrians. If you are going to be in town for a bit stop everything and immediately buy this book https://www.jamesmaherphotography.com/ny-photographers-guide/

Jul 03, 2017 at 12:07 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Brooklyn bridge

Thanks everyone. I ended up shooting two nights. One from the roadway with the crew and the second night from the walkway above. What I was originally told would be sunset time frame...They weren't allowed to shut down the lanes until 10 pm. Traffic on the bridge was only slightly less at 3 am than 10pm :-)

Jul 04, 2017 at 05:05 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.