New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

MMcGrath
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

I'm currently in Alaska and my 70-200 F2.8L ISII took a fall of about 2 feet onto concrete. The tripod mount took the brunt of the impact - cracks in the screw.

When I use the lens sometimes it works ok others it's hunting all the time with vertical jumping of the image in the viewfinder.

Any ideas if it's the focussing that's goosed or the IS.
Also, anywhere in Anchorage I can get it looked over?

Jun 13, 2017 at 06:35 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

Google 'camera repair shops Anchorage Alaska' shows there are two places that do camera repairs.

Jun 13, 2017 at 06:45 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

Thanks. I'll look into them.

Jun 13, 2017 at 07:13 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

That's almost identical behaviour to a store 70-200mm 2.8 IS v1 I dropped about ten years ago. (The previous staffer did not tighten the collar so it slipped off when the salesperson handed it to me)

The viewfinder image would jump erratically. I believe it was the IS module which needed replacing. It's not too bad...a few hundred bucks at least.

Jun 13, 2017 at 08:23 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

Turn off the IS and see if there is a difference in the operation of the lens.

Jun 13, 2017 at 08:24 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

No difference with IS on or off, nor in MF. The IS module seems to be always on and hunting.

danski0224 wrote:
Turn off the IS and see if there is a difference in the operation of the lens.

Jun 13, 2017 at 08:43 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

tsangc wrote:
That's almost identical behaviour to a store 70-200mm 2.8 IS v1 I dropped about ten years ago. (The previous staffer did not tighten the collar so it slipped off when the salesperson handed it to me)

The viewfinder image would jump erratically. I believe it was the IS module which needed replacing. It's not too bad...a few hundred bucks at least.

Thanks. The noise sounds like the IS motor, but it's louder than normal. I have and Arca Swiss style plate attached to the tripod foot that wasn't properly seated in my Black Rapid strap, causing the lens to fall from the strap.

Jun 13, 2017 at 08:47 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

I dropped my ef 50mm f/1.4 and it was also hunting as well. I took it to a local lens repair shop and it turned out to be the AF frame was warped. It worked fine as a MF lens, but for AF it was either replace the $200 part or toss it. With parts and labor it came out to $270, but the lens is like new again so all you can do is try it and see what happens. It may be something else or maybe not but good luck!
Bill

Jun 13, 2017 at 09:13 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

Turn the is off and see if it continues

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:48 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

I had to have IS replaced in a 70-200 Mk1 and it was around $500 round trip without CPS.

Jun 14, 2017 at 03:57 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

You'll likely need the IS and AF replaced.....I've had this on 100-400 lenses after very minor drops and no drops at all. If you tilt the lens back and forth do you hear an element moving? That is the IS element most likely. Chances are they will replace a bunch of stuff if you send it to Canon. I don't know if I'd have it repaired in Anchorage or if they could have the parts that short notice anyways. May have to just make due for your trip when it works and off to Canon when you are back home. These repairs usually cost me about $500CDN so hopefully a bit less than that in the US or UK.

Jun 14, 2017 at 06:01 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

Thanks for all the advice folks. I'm going to drop by the camera repair shop in Anchorage tomorrow when I get back there. They did say they don't get too deep into L lenses, so any repairs will likely be done on my return to the UK.

Jun 14, 2017 at 09:55 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

I've found that when stuff is broken, if you play with it, you can probably get it going again part way, well enough until you get home. You might play with it, trying mf, no IS, etc if you can't get it fixed in Anchorage

Jun 14, 2017 at 10:53 PM
Jon Joshua
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

I think that 70-200 2.8 IS v1 is no longer on the CPS repair list.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM
graycat
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

No sure how long you will be in Alaska, but if I were in your situation I would just rent a lens from LensRentals.com and ship your broken lens to a repair facility and not worry about it. Stuff happens.

Jun 15, 2017 at 04:03 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

Quick update. The repair shop in Anchorage doesn't do much work on L series lenses. They did give it a quick visual inspection. Optically lens seems fine. Will be shipping it to Fixation (UK authorised Canon repair centre) on return to UK next week.

It's a V2 lens I have so no worries about getting it repaired.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:10 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

Quick update detailing the outcome:

Dropped lens off at my local Calumet store in U.K. who sent it to Canon at Elstree for repair.
Picked the lens up from Calumet today - got the estimated price back last Wednesday so to get the repair done and lens back just 8 days later was pretty good considering I don't have CPS membership.

The repair totalled £438 plus vat (20% in U.K.) so total was £526 by time I paid tax.

The IS module was replaced and calibrated.
The lens optics were checked and calibrated.
The tripod mount was replaced.
The rubber weather seal plus rubber around lens was replaced.
Various screws etc all replaced.

The silver band at the front of the lens was replaced (some of the text had faded), but I suspect this may have been replaced because the black bit at front of lens had some scuff marks from shooting against a wire fence.

Lens looks like new and from limited testing appears to be working fine.

Thanks to all those who offered advice.

Jul 06, 2017 at 01:31 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

billsamuels wrote:
I dropped my ef 50mm f/1.4 and it was also hunting as well. I took it to a local lens repair shop and it turned out to be the AF frame was warped. It worked fine as a MF lens, but for AF it was either replace the $200 part or toss it. With parts and labor it came out to $270, but the lens is like new again so all you can do is try it and see what happens. It may be something else or maybe not but good luck!
Bill

Canon has a flat rate for repairing a 50mm f/1.4 lens, mine cost $89 to fix, but its gone up to $119 now. Nowhere near $270 though. You actually fill out the form on the Canon web site, pay in advance and send it in.

I'm mentioning this in case anyone needs repair and thinks a local repair shop costs less.

Jul 06, 2017 at 02:11 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help! Dropped 70-200.

I dropped my 70-200 F4 IS. IS went all wonky. I sent it to New Jersey while under warranty and told them I dropped it. They only charged me for the parts. Awesome service.

Jul 06, 2017 at 08:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.