Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

PureMichigan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

Was speaking with a "birder" friend who offered to let me use his 600 f/4 for a football game this fall. I'm very comfortable with400MM 2.8 on a full frame but I've never shot a 600Mm for a full game. Anyone out there done so?

My friend who owns the lens said he tried to use to shoot a relative's soccer game but found it difficult to keep the player in the frame --- and with soccer you generally have to get the upper and lower body in the frame. You can make the case with American Football that you can work above the waist more effectively as the balls tends to be there more often.

Thoughts? Experience.

Jun 13, 2017 at 01:48 PM
FaulknersFoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

I've shot with a 1000mm, but the AF motor wasn't/isn't very good and it wasn't the sharpest lens. I've switched to the oldest Canon 400 2.8 now and am comfortable with it (even with a 1.4x), other than the fact that it's super super heavy. Basically, the longer the lens, the harder it is to follow the action, but eventually you get used to it. You are also correct in saying that portions of a body is perfectly ok, and sometimes even preferable, for American Football. The other issue that I've found with a really long lens is that a lot of lower quality fields have quite the curvature to help with water runoff, which can cut off the feet in a full body shot.

Here's a couple of shots from a season with the 1000mm before I had the 400 2.8

Here is a picture of the lens without a hood (I don't have one) compared to the 70-200 2.8L and the 300 f4L

Jun 13, 2017 at 04:27 PM
amlsml
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

I use a 600 f4 every game for 1-2 quarters. have even used it on the D500 for some super tight shots. Nothing compresses an image like the 600, it has it's own look. From the end zone you can get some great shots and across the field for coaches, and players on sidelines, Cheerleaders etc. Not many have one, so it helps to be different.

I shoot full body shots even with the 600 as much as possible. 70-200 on the other body and your good to go. great lens, but will take some time to get comfortable using it.

Jun 13, 2017 at 09:20 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

I have used the 600 with the 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0. It's pretty cool with never having to leave the end zone but the focus speed will suffer. Here's the biggest issue though... turf currents. Even grass currents. With that much air space to cut through, it's inevitable. Standing helps a bit but then you lose that low perspective shot.

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:35 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

P Alesse wrote:
I have used the 600 with the 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0. It's pretty cool with never having to leave the end zone but the focus speed will suffer. Here's the biggest issue though... turf currents. Even grass currents. With that much air space to cut through, it's inevitable. Standing helps a bit but then you lose that low perspective shot.

This was my experience as well. I wish I could have used the 600 more. But the heat haze from the turf really made it impractical. So I sold it and grabbed a 200-400 1.4x instead.

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:47 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

The 600 is one of my favorite football lenses. I like to get back and shoot interior line. To do that properly, you've gotta go long. With old knees, I don't go B2G (butt to ground) much anymore. Occasionally I'll attach my trusty 1D4 to the 600 if I need more reach.

With a 400 2.8, to fill the frame, you've gotta be within 20-25 yards of the line of scrimmage. Many times I'm at such an angle, I can't shoot the line the way I want until they get inside the 20. But for high school night football, the 400 2.8 is king!

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:13 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

Shooting Canadian ball you need the longer glass because of the bigger field. I use an old Canon 500 f4.5, with a 1.4 when lighting permits, but would love to have a 600 so I can throw on my doubler and shoot straight up the field. Keep in mind I shoot very tight and more of a sports info style than game deciding play journalistic coverage --- do what your market wants....

Jun 14, 2017 at 09:52 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

I used the 600 from the end zone to get the offensive line head on; it was great for those shots. However, that was at a school that has a dedicated game-day grass field in their stadium. Artificial turf would be another matter unless it were overcast or a night game under good lighting.

I swapped out cameras as they closed in on the end zone. Found it just too tight.

My 400 2.8 IS Mark II was remarkably impervious to turf heat waves within 70 yards until Canon updated the firmware. Worst upgrade ever. I'm curious if anyone with the latest version of the Canon 600 finds it less susceptible to the phenomenon. If it were, I might consider replacing.

Edited on Jul 19, 2017 at 09:49 PM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2017 at 02:56 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

Football is very doable at 600mm but I'd recommend staying 30-60 yards from where you think the action is going to be.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:02 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

Football is very doable at 600mm but I'd recommend staying 30-60 yards from where you think the action is going to be.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:02 PM
bu82

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

I've not shot with a 600, but many times with my 400 2.8 with a 1.4x TC for a 560mm f/4. I like it, as you get different looking shots - nice and tight

Jul 19, 2017 at 08:03 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

PureMichigan,
Partially to answer your own question, do you own a decent 1.4x TC you can just pop onto your 400mm? At 560,mm it is much closer to 600mm than 400mm to give you any idea.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

I sometimes take out the manual focus 800mm f/5.6 when I want a bit different look from the 400mm. It really gives a completely different feel to the shots. I think I can spot an 800mm shot a mile away (no pun intended).

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:41 AM
amlsml
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

A few with the Nikon 600 f4. On super hot days the action needs to be within 50 yards. The heat mirage will soften the IQ.

Jul 28, 2017 at 06:51 AM
Lars Thomas

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

I wish HS football was played Saturday morning - just for my benefit! Your shots are great. Every few years, there is a rain-out that's made-up on Saturday. I always like shooting those.

Sep 05, 2017 at 08:15 PM
rsartin
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Longest Focal Length You've used for American Football

I can't find it quickly but I made the front page of our Sunday's sports section a few years back...Image is of a touchdown and I'm in the background kneeling in the endzone with a 800mm, watching the touchdown
I found it all but impossible to shoot on a crop body but was really happy with it on a 1DX.

All that said, I feel the 600 is VERY usable for football and I love the images with it.

Sep 06, 2017 at 09:56 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.