New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Pelican cases has their time come?

rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Pelican cases has their time come?

Shouldn't be a problem for TSA since they use an actual key - a master key - to open the lock. It's setting the combination that is poorly explained in Pelican's written instructions.

Sep 04, 2017 at 04:59 AM
elkhornsun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I would never check anything I needed when I reached my destination. Nothing can be locked now and so any TSA or airline baggage handler can help themselves to whatever they want. More than 400 TSA employees have been fired to date as a result of their stealing items from luggage.

Pelican cases are very heavy and overkill for the most part. I had underwater photo gear in a case and the American Airlines baggage handlers in Miami destroyed it completely. Fortunately it was on the return leg from the Caribbean or my trip would have been ruined.

Sep 09, 2017 at 07:01 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Pelican cases has their time come?

Sure, there is always a chance of something like theft happening, but the odds are low. If you really need gear for a job or a vacation, then it's up to you to mitigate the risks as well as possible. A Pelican case has its purposes and provides some advantages over equivalent soft-sided roller cases for the transport of equipment by various means. But of course it's not perfect or entirely 'bomb-proof,' nor is the air transport system.

The reason I began using one for US domestic flights was that its carry-on approved size allowed bringing it on the plane, and if in the cases of the plane being a very small commuter type, would allow gate-checking, thus being more durable for storage in the hold, offering better peace of mind while bypassing the majority of the behind the scenes baggage handling system. In situations where it would be required to check-in like regular luggage (more often the situation in Canada where carry-on weight is restricted to 10kg/item), I would have a plan in place to carry-on as much of the equipment as possible. I spread it across a couple smaller bags and would carry any large item such as a super-tele simply over the shoulder, leaving low-value, non-critical items in the checked case. And sometimes it's just impossible to carry on everything, such as lighting equipment. I feel much better checking such equipment in a durable case than in something less rugged or soft-sided.

As for overkill in general... if one is averse to risking gear, then a hard case makes sense for the added protection it provides. Not only from impact type damage, but also as a water-tight storage solution. Who knows if the basement will flood some day, or perhaps extensive water damage from a structure fire, etc...

Sep 11, 2017 at 04:30 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password