Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Pelican cases has their time come?

Flowernut
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I'm to the point of biting the bullet and using pelican cases for international travel. Used them a lot 20 years ago. Pelican is now making a "air" model that is considerably lighter. I'd probably get the roll aboard and bagage check another one. I need to get a 600f4 in as part of the load. Does anyone have experience with these? Is the preference foam or dividers? Pelican has a trek pak insert now. Does anyone know whether these or the regular dividers are better? An older thread on another site talked about having someone cut foam that is in layers so that it is a perfect fit like a mold for the gear you are putting in. Anyone know someone that provides that service? The dividers allow change of configuration but I'm not sure they provide the same level of protection.

Jun 13, 2017 at 01:34 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I have used the pick and pluck foam and it works fine, even if you leave gaps, you really only need 3 points of contact to keep a lens stable. I have also custom cut my own by tracing around with a pen and then cutting it with a swiss army knife. In hindsight the pick and pluck is just as effective and easier to deal with.

I have some generic rectangles that fit several of my lenses, none of them perfect, but all with 3 points of contact that never move in the case.

I wouldn't stress too hard about baggage handlers etc. either. I just kicked my 6D off my bed by mistake with a 200 2.8 prime on it and it flew across the floor after falling about 3 feet. The lens is not decentered and it works fine. Pelican cases are built like tanks. I stood on one yesterday to change a lightbulb.

Jun 13, 2017 at 02:00 PM
rdcny
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pelican cases has their time come?

Yes good idea the pelican cases or similar brands...I travel with them everywhere and my carry-on worries have been greatly reduced.

In the case for the flight, you can surround your lenses with clothes/towels etc. - so you might not need the specialty foam as an added purchase.

Jun 13, 2017 at 03:38 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I and my camera buddy both have the 1535 Air model. It fits in the overhead and will take a 800mm f5.6 lens (without the lens hood). Do not like the foam due to not really being able to redo the packing. The dividers work fine and you have one inch of foam in the lid and a layer of padding under the lens as well. A soft lens hood is recommended

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618397-REG/Aqua_Tech_1380_SoftHood_Collapsing_Hood_for.html

Regarding the gaps that will be around the lens, just use soft items (spare socks for example) to fill in the space between lens, padding and your other gear.

Jun 13, 2017 at 04:23 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pelican cases has their time come?

The original carry-on pelican was heavy but worked fine. It fit under seat and with a couple grunts even overhead on a regional jet. I used to use padded dividers but they do waste some space. I just use neoprene covers like the snoot boot now.

Jun 13, 2017 at 04:35 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pelican cases has their time come?

dgdg wrote:
The original carry-on pelican was heavy but worked fine. It fit under seat and with a couple grunts even overhead on a regional jet. I used to use padded dividers but they do waste some space. I just use neoprene covers like the snoot boot now.

I have the lenscoat neoprene covers as I use them in my thinktank roller. Still I think I'd be nervous without more padding if it ended up in cargo hole.

Edited on Jun 13, 2017 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

Jun 13, 2017 at 05:32 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pelican cases has their time come?

Second comment,

I think going forward, I would opt for the dividers as they offer more flexibility.

Jun 13, 2017 at 05:43 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pelican cases has their time come?

Also the pick & pluck over time starts to disintegrate and break down leaving minuscule pieces of foam to get everywhere into your equipment. Dividers are the way to go.

Jun 13, 2017 at 09:55 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I use pelican cases a lot I have the 1660,1650,1550, plus others. I prefer the dividers in all I probably have almost 10 pelican cases with dividers

For long skinny items like tripods and lighting gear I found that getting soft bags for the tripod and sleeves for the lighting mods and put them in a ski hard golf case with padding as needed works well.these can be had for $50 if you look hard enough

Jun 13, 2017 at 10:54 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I bought the Pelican Air 1535 case to replace a similar sized SKB case. It's definitely lighter and seems as strong. I like SKB latches better since they open and close much easier. I'm using the same padded insert I had in the SKB (actually made for Pelican) but if I had big glass I'd feel better if I used foam. But I'm carrying my mirrorless system so the padded inserts are fine. I've got Trek PAC in a back pack and seen them used in pelicans on movie sets. They are fine but not really worth extra money as far as I can see.

If you are really concerned about big glass (300 and longer) I'd get one of those companies who sell and cut it out for you to set it up. All foam is not equal so if your spending a lot on glass don't get cheap on the foam you use.

Jun 14, 2017 at 02:08 AM
joel dowling
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I use a variety of Pelican cases and keep all of my equipment in F-Stop Gear ICU's - packing is incredibly easy. The ICU's drop right into the Pelican case and I am out the door.

Jun 14, 2017 at 06:02 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I don't use dividers in my Pelican cases (1500, 2x 1470); I put each lens and camera in its own neoprene case (Op/Tech & LensCoat).

You can get "pick and pluck" foam here, http://www.foambymail.com/charcoal-pick-and-pluck-foam.html

Be prepared to gate-check a roller Pelican case, on most medium-sized and small planes, even if it will fit in the cabin.

Jun 14, 2017 at 07:21 AM
butlerkid
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I've used my Pelican 1610 with pic and pluck foam to transport my 500/f4, gimbal and lots of other stuff within The States and to and from South Africa. Works very well. Will use again for trip to Kenya this August.

Also I highly recommend the TSA approaved Search Alert locks with heavy duty hasps to lock the case.
https://www.tamperseal.com/searchalert-extended-hasp-tsa-case-lock-p-187.html

Jun 14, 2017 at 09:01 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pelican cases has their time come?

jcolwell wrote:
I don't use dividers in my Pelican cases (1500, 2x 1470); I put each lens and camera in its own neoprene case (Op/Tech & LensCoat).

You can get "pick and pluck" foam here, http://www.foambymail.com/charcoal-pick-and-pluck-foam.html

Be prepared to gate-check a roller Pelican case, on most medium-sized and small planes, even if it will fit in the cabin.

I'm already gate checking with the thinktank international on crj's and turboprops. This will make me feel more comfortable about that but mainly if it ends up as cargo.

Jun 14, 2017 at 05:31 PM
voidsherpa
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pelican cases has their time come?

My biggest complaint about the Trek Pak system (Which i used in 4 pelican 1510's for different camera systems) are that lens hoods are a pain to fit. With normal Velcro soft dividers they can kind of mesh around the lens hood.

Jun 14, 2017 at 06:36 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pelican cases has their time come?

voidsherpa wrote:
My biggest complaint about the Trek Pak system (Which i used in 4 pelican 1510's for different camera systems) are that lens hoods are a pain to fit. With normal Velcro soft dividers they can kind of mesh around the lens hood.

I was really looking at those. Thanks for the heads up!

Jun 14, 2017 at 07:47 PM
oguruma
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I love Pelican cases. I have them for my photo equipment and my guns.

I really like the padded dividers, but another cool "mod" for them is to just find a cheap camera bag that fits inside.

Jun 14, 2017 at 11:29 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pelican cases has their time come?

I just got an email from think tank they are now working with sky just as good as pelican case they matched their bags with a ski hard case. Idea been around for years pelican had soft/hard case sets years ago. But the bags are always top shelf

Jun 15, 2017 at 01:38 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pelican cases has their time come?

If a carry-on has rollers, it does take some extra smiling to convince staff that it will fit under the seat (sideways 1 1/2 seat widths). With my gura gear, I don't get a second look.

Jun 15, 2017 at 06:31 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pelican cases has their time come?

Way back in the day I used Zero/Halliburton cases and taped the latches. I once worked with NFL films (lenses and 16mm film Cameras then) and they used Zeros also but they had tough fabric covers made for their Zeros. This had the effect of deflecting other sliding luggage during rough handling.
NFL films did/does a lot of traveling with delicate equipment and has the money for the best,

The Zeros are lighter and, with thinner aluminum material, there's more room inside for equipment. Also, if you get the black painted models, they look really terrible after some travel. With some labels and gooey tape they are a poor advertisement for what's inside.

If you do this remember it's vital to gaffer tape the fragile latches. Also if you run (black or silver to match the case) tape along the side of the half shell seams no one will get inside in a few moments. So pilferage is minimized. This worked well for me for decades shipping across the USA.

Jun 15, 2017 at 09:35 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.