Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

> My body groans everytime that thing comes out of the bag.

I really loath my job if I have to carry a brick. My bag has a strict 900g weight limit for lenses.

Aug 01, 2017 at 03:20 PM
ashton lamont
• •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

InSanE wrote:
Even 10-300 mm f0,1WRX cant help with ugly overhead lighting, noon sun or chinese party lights. Thats where pros separate from amateurs and use their own light.

PS
I am yet to see a pro FF zoom with insufficient sharpness for wedding photos.

I've looked at this post expecting to find a chuckle as in some of your recent comments. But no, its serious. I'm disappointed

Anyway, I'm finding I can get away with murder sometimes with extreme cropping with the 5DS-R. For example a single image at 300ppi could just about fit eight different 10"x8". Sometimes I've cropped to 7.5"x5" 300ppi using just a tiny fraction of the original, and I could of course go down lower than 300ppi. Gives me some opportunities that I didn't even see available till editing. The primes I'm using allow me to go right to the edges on severe crops without softness kicking in.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with "use their own light". You can only do what you can do. For example one of the churches I shoot at regularly has large roof windows directly overhead. When the sun comes out (lots of variance within minutes in the UK) the dynamic range right where the bride and groom stand can way beyond what any cam can do nicely.

Right, back to some funny one-liners please

Aug 01, 2017 at 03:36 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

ZachOly wrote:
A Sony setup would be a 55 and a 135

My Canon setup would be a 16-35, 35, 24-70, 85, with the possibility of selling the 24-70 and 85, too.

My wife and I are expecting our first child, so there's more to the decision than just weddings.

Congrats, man. We just had our 2nd. Game changer for sure.

135 with room to crop should be plenty in all honesty. You keeping both systems or just moving to Sony?

Aug 01, 2017 at 03:43 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

I crop 135L images all time time on the 5D4 — especially indoor processionals and some toasting images. Beats carrying a 1400+gram big white.

Aug 01, 2017 at 04:18 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

BSPhotog wrote:
Congrats, man. We just had our 2nd. Game changer for sure.

135 with room to crop should be plenty in all honesty. You keeping both systems or just moving to Sony?

Thanks - it really hasn't kicked in yet. But I'm sure after the first sleepless night it'll be "real".

The goal is one Sony body and two Sony lenses for 2018. I hope to keep the purchase cost neutral by selling whatever Canon glass I need to. But it all hinges on a A7III release.

I'll be keeping the 5D4. I absolutely love that camera body along with the 35LII. I just don't want to be tied to a brand going forward.

Aug 01, 2017 at 05:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GumaRodak

p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

I do it with 24-58-85 all 1.4
Sometimes i think, that if you have too much lenses to choose from, you are thinking too much which one you would use...

Aug 01, 2017 at 07:53 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

> I'll be keeping the 5D4. I absolutely love that camera body along with the 35LII. I just don't want to be tied to a brand going forward.

Exactly the way I feel. Keeping options going forward and being realistic about different brands strengths (and the deal breakers).

I'm still recovering on the 6D2 (what a fail) shock.

Aug 01, 2017 at 08:41 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

ZachOly wrote:
Thanks - it really hasn't kicked in yet. But I'm sure after the first sleepless night it'll be "real".

The goal is one Sony body and two Sony lenses for 2018. I hope to keep the purchase cost neutral by selling whatever Canon glass I need to. But it all hinges on a A7III release.

I'll be keeping the 5D4. I absolutely love that camera body along with the 35LII. I just don't want to be tied to a brand going forward.

That seems like sound logic, especially with Canon glass adapting fairly well to Sony bodies. I'm not one to buy into new bodies, though. I keep my camera bodies at least one generation old and let someone else eat the depreciation and do all of the beta testing that seems to happen.

---------------------------------------------

GumaRodak wrote:
I do it with 24-58-85 all 1.4
Sometimes i think, that if you have too much lenses to choose from, you are thinking too much which one you would use...

Agree, that's part of my thinking with this thread and reason for re-evaluating. In my recent weddings, I've used 3 lenses for 75-80% of the shots. Macro and longer tele make up the rest and can have their place. Having a 300 f/4 along for weddings has been fun, but given the size/weight involved it really doesn't pay off, even for a relatively cheap lens.

28/58/105 is grouping of Nikon lenses that are getting a lot of love lately. For me, I like 24-35 / 50 or 85 / 180. That right there is the 3-4 lenses that I primarily work with, though I bring a small 35 f/2 as a backup and a 60 micro for some details and as a backup. Both are small and light and are really nice on my backup DX body as well.

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:06 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

I use a 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, and 70-200mm f/2.8 along with a 105mm f/2 DC and a +4 Closeup lens that I screw onto the 24-70mm for detail shots.

I would miss too many shots or be spending a lot of time doing a lot of cropping in post if I shot with primes. With ISO 6400 not a problem with current cameras a f/2.8 zoom works well in any lighting situation.

Aug 01, 2017 at 09:49 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Let's talk about Lenses - How wide & how long.

elkhornsun wrote:
I use a 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, and 70-200mm f/2.8 along with a 105mm f/2 DC and a +4 Closeup lens that I screw onto the 24-70mm for detail shots.

I would miss too many shots or be spending a lot of time doing a lot of cropping in post if I shot with primes. With ISO 6400 not a problem with current cameras a f/2.8 zoom works well in any lighting situation.

Very true, choosing gear is all about mitigating compromises. Three zooms and a portrait prime are the 4 lenses that work for the way you shoot, and that definitely makes sense. My process doesn't work that way, but that's cool.

Aug 02, 2017 at 12:25 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password